• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Motorcycle safety film

I liked the advice from Peter that one must treat every car and truck driver as if they were asleep, stupid or drunk Thanks, Ted

Diz said:
I liked the advice from Peter that one must treat every car and truck driver as if they were asleep, stupid or drunk Thanks, Ted

Excellent... diappointingly, not much has changed over the decades...

Diz said:
My riding instructor many years ago said that I should treat all other road users, from small animals to semi's, as homicidal maniacs and that paranoia was a good way to stay alive. Every accident I've ever had on the road has been caused by me assuming that other road users knew what they were doing, so he wasn't wrong!
They are not asleep, stupid, or drunk,... they have seen you and THEY WANT TO KILL YOU,... REAL BAD!!  >:D :-\

cra-z1000 said:
I can't get over Evel putting his foot down to turn around 😂

I saw that -- but, he was on grass and going way slower than his customary speed... ::)

Boomer said:
[ alive. Every accident I've ever had on the road has been caused by me assuming that other road users knew what they were doing, so he wasn't wrong!
They are not asleep, stupid, or drunk,... they have seen you and THEY WANT TO KILL YOU,... REAL BAD!!  >:D :-\

I have to agree. 3 times in the last 2 years a cager used my lane to pass me when I was on 2 wheels. It is not legal for autos to filter lanes

When I went through MSF instructor training they impressed upon us that we should consider every movable object on the road ahead (and some stationary ones) as potential threats that need to be mitigated without exception. And we were expected to share that with our students when it came to Scanning and Identifying potential hazards on the road ahead.

I know that advice has saved my chubby butt more times than I could possibly count but I take it much farther than that and I try to avoid creating stupid situations myself that I have seen others create and learn the hard way. Part of my role as a motorcycle instructor in the USAF was motorcycle accident investigation for our base Safety Department.

Changes made that I learned from others mistakes:

1) I quit lane splitting due to the high number of lane splitting incidents - just not worth it.

2) I do not ride side by side in a lane, it isn't really smart to give up emergency maneuvering room for no good reason - staggered is what the old guys do and they are survivors.

3) I don't know of a single situation where loud pipes prevented an "incident" beyond urban myth, but I did see 3 incidents that were definitely CAUSED by loud pipes according to the drivers that witnessed it. All said they were "startled by the bike" due to the noise (not the way I want to be seen) and they admitted they over reacted causing the accident - and one of those riders never walked again after the accident because he was crushed between cars lane splitting.

4) No amount of alcohol is good or any other "substance" for that matter when operating a motorcycle - to include driving under the influence of STUPIDITY aka taking dumb risks. Park it for the day or night and do your thing.

5) Proper gear makes a difference without exception.

6) Riding on worn tires doesn't save money in the long run. It usually gets you hurt or wrecks the bike and we know who to blame for that!  ;)

7) The mentally challenged riders who insist on riding beyond their level of rider talent, be it real or perceived, always ends badly.

And finally - Showing off 8) eventually ends badly for the showoff. YouTube is full of those morons in action :??:

Sorry if that seems preachy, but it has kept me from going down or from putting a single scratch any bike I have ever owned. I can't say the same for those that insist on giving the finger to experience and tempting fate!  :-\

Take care and best of luck,
Jon

I did leave out one:

It is possible to get TOO COMFORTABLE or make silly "for looks" mods on two wheels. Taking your hands or feet off of your controls for longer than a few seconds or complicating your ability to quickly and FULLY react is not very smart - but Darwin sadly has a plan for them. The first example that comes to mind is "highway" pegs. I got asked that one in classes nearly every class. And my answer was, "you're not as fast as you think you are in an emergency. Is it a bike or a lazy boy lounger?!?" Move the pegs AND THE CONTROLS, or accept what may happen as a result. You're asking for trouble by compromising your ability to fully control your bike and that is what the data shows - but those that believe in myth will continue to insist otherwise and that is just fine for them.

Riders can do what they want, but the "it was his fault" claims ring a little hollow when bike riders get into wrecks that could have been avoided by more common sense and a little less stubborn insistence on what you want.

Need another example? Extreme ape hanger handle bars - I consider them an immediate Darwin Award nomination when installed. How do you do anything QUICK with those damn things. You know the ones were you need to take a hand off either bar to make slow maneuvers or extreme ones at speed. That's just nuts - and for what benefit?  :-[

I saw a guy behind me yesterday with leather hanging off the ends of his handle bars and dragging on the ground in the intersection - what possible funtion do those serve?!?  ::) But I can see them interfering with his ability to control that bike easily.  :-[  When it happens I am sure the other guy will get blamed.....it never fails.  :eek:

ursharkfuel said:
I did leave out one:

It is possible to get TOO COMFORTABLE or make silly "for looks" mods on two wheels. Taking your hands or feet off of your controls for longer than a few seconds or complicating your ability to quickly and FULLY react is not very smart - but Darwin sadly has a plan for them. The first example that comes to mind is "highway" pegs. I got asked that one in classes nearly every class. And my answer was, "you're not as fast as you think you are in an emergency. Is it a bike or a lazy boy lounger?!?" Move the pegs AND THE CONTROLS, or accept what may happen as a result. You're asking for trouble by compromising your ability to fully control your bike and that is what the data shows - but those that believe in myth will continue to insist otherwise and that is just fine for them.

Riders can do what they want, but the "it was his fault" claims ring a little hollow when bike riders get into wrecks that could have been avoided by more common sense and a little less stubborn insistence on what you want.

Need another example? Extreme ape hanger handle bars - I consider them an immediate Darwin Award nomination when installed. How do you do anything QUICK with those damn things. You know the ones were you need to take a hand off either bar to make slow maneuvers or extreme ones at speed. That's just nuts - and for what benefit?  :-[

I saw a guy behind me yesterday with leather hanging off the ends of his handle bars and dragging on the ground in the intersection - what possible funtion do those serve?!?  ::) But I can see them interfereing with his ability to control that bike easily.  :-[ It I am sure the other guy will get blamed.....it never fails.  :eek:

Seeing the whip that some bikers hang off the end of the grip cracks me up too . Long ago they use too weave a big ball bearing into the end of those whips for taking out windshields .

cra-z1000 said:
ursharkfuel said:
I saw a guy behind me yesterday with leather hanging off the ends of his handle bars and dragging on the ground in the intersection - what possible function do those serve?!?  ::) But I can see them interfering with his ability to control that bike.  :-[ And when it happens I am sure the other guy will get blamed.....it never fails.  :eek:

Seeing the whip that some bikers hang off the end of the grip cracks me up too . Long ago they use too weave a big ball bearing into the end of those whips for taking out windshields .

Hey Z1000,

:D as if they were immune to road rash, because doing that to a car may get you knocked over by that much larger car! And I bet those lovely ball bearing equipped human beings just can't seem to understand why motorists don't love all motorcyclists - as they spread their hateful antics like bad aftershave.  :-[

I see at least a dozen riders every day on my commute. Most are friendly and waive when they see you, but it is always the same 2 or 3 riding the exact same bike that either ignore you or flip you off!  ::)  Care to guess what bike they are ALL riding? I will not say, because that may start a forum feud - which would be completely unproductive. Let's just say those particular riders woke up this morning a jackass, and will go to bed a jackass as well.  :motonoises: I bet even their dog hates them!  :rotflmao:

Take care,
Jon