• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Motorcycle Stereo

dboisclair

Training Wheels
Hi All
Just looking for some advice/feedback....
I've always thought it would be cool to have an actual stereo on my bike vs speakers in my helmet but I don't really have anything to base it on. I'm considering buying a set from CycleSounds:-200 watt speakers/amp with 3" waterproof speakers.  Before I pull the trigger so to speak, I'm just wondering if anyone has these or something similar installed. I'd really like to hear how you like them, if you use them a lot and/or if you regret the decision.
Any feedback appreciated.
Cheers

Personally, I don't like to "share" my music with the world.  I don't like to set next to a cage in traffic that is shaking the ground with his "music".  If you turn your volume up to hear it through your helmet and over the wind noise, your going to be sharing it.  Just my not so humble opinion.

Up to you.

I've been using the Autocom for a few years.  I can tie my cell phone, MP3 player, and satellite radio into it plus have interbike communications as wel as with passengers.  This system uses speakers in the helmet and it is pretty durn good, but I upgraded the sound exponentially by putting some high fidelity headphone speakers in my helmet complete with the over the ear headphone seals.  This really eliminates wind noise and lets me listen to my music or other sound without turning up the volume.  So it also saves my hearing.  It works great, but not everyone's head/helmet combo would allow it.  Just what I've done.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2473475460080494746TDDNdb
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2676688390080494746TFcSnR

My Winger buddy Randy had the factory GL1800 stereo with umpteen speakers, CB, and everything... I built him a similar setup and now satellite radio through these is the only thing he wants to listen to.

Rev Rider said:
I upgraded the sound exponentially by putting some high fidelity headphone speakers in my helmet complete with the over the ear headphone seals.  This really eliminates wind noise and lets me listen to my music or other sound without turning up the volume.  So it also saves my hearing. 

My Winger buddy Randy had the factory GL1800 stereo with umpteen speakers, CB, and everything... I built him a similar setup and now satellite radio through these is the only thing he wants to listen to.

"sufficiently teased!"
I bought what has turned out to be a great 1st helmet.  :) It does have a speaker pocket though it is noisy with leaky face shield and a mouthpiece vent that is permanantly open (which is ok cause it is prone to fogging)  :-[
Hmmm perhaps I should rephrase...
I got a cheepo barely sufficient full face helmet when I bought the bike for 80$... that has speaker pocket... LOL

Let me guess.. Your head set started life as Bose 901s and a baseball catchers helmet!!..... You cusom fabricator you!

Seriously though I had hoped there was such a thing as a "Motorcycle Stereo" with speaker out/bluetooth output/am/fm/mp3/cb and communications in a single unit.. with voice control!
Now there's a project for ya REV!!!

doug said:
Seriously though I had hoped there was such a thing as a "Motorcycle Stereo" with speaker out/bluetooth output/am/fm/mp3/cb and communications in a single unit.. with voice control!
Now there's a project for ya REV!!!

YIKES!  ;)

I imagine there probably is somewhere.  I know bluetooth and quality sound would be great.  But for now, I'm happy enough. LOL

Hey, they started plumbing for my new house this moring. YAY!  Maybe pour by next Thursday they think.

[quote

Hey, they started plumbing for my new house this moring. YAY!  Maybe pour by next Thursday they think.
[/quote]

That's awesome! That much closer to puttin me in the garage while you are in the house for that wrenching session!!
I look forward to seeing it all!
Kind of a slave driver workin them Christmas eve aren't you!!??

sawfiler said:
Personally, I don't like to "share" my music with the world.  I don't like to set next to a cage in traffic that is shaking the ground with his "music".  If you turn your volume up to hear it through your helmet and over the wind noise, your going to be sharing it.  Just my not so humble opinion.

Up to you.
  +1

I installed a pair of HS24 Helmet Speakers from Helmetaudio.com  http://helmetaudio.com/khxc/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=HS24

They work pretty well except I also wear earplugs. Go figure.  I attached a boosteroo inline amp and the volume is great.  Plug the speakers into the boosteroo and the boosteroo into a Bluetooth dongle so I can link it with my Droid. 

I think RevRider or somebody had a post about converting a stereo headset into helmet speakers.

The music was great as the phone works as a mp3 player and also gets slacker internet radio.  Trouble is I get calls and can't answer.

I hear for Christmas Santa is brining me a Sena SMH 10 Bluetooth headset so I will be able to link it to my phone, music and gps should I wan't to hear the gps.  Actually I think I'll skip the gps.

I'll report on how well that works after the holidays.

I'm with Slybones on the blasting of music.  I don't care if the vehicle next to me is playing a song I enjoy, I just don't want to hear it right now.  However, if you could patch a mike to it, it could come in handy during emergency evacuation maneuvers. :)

doug said:

That's awesome! That much closer to puttin me in the garage while you are in the house for that wrenching session!!
I look forward to seeing it all!
Kind of a slave driver workin them Christmas eve aren't you!!??
No rest for the wicked and the righteous don't need any... or so I'm told.  ;)
I just got off work after a long day of it and will work all day tomorrow (Christmas Day) as well.  Then Sunday after worship I will begin to move.  They brought us a porta-potty today too.  More YAY! LOL

Well the Sena SMH10 unit arrived from Cyclebots. They had it for a great price @ $139.00 for a single unit with free shipping.

It took me about 20-30 minutes to remove the old helmet speakers and install the new unit. I linked the Bluetooth to my DroidX phone.  Now I can use the Droid for tunes, calls and a fall back gps since I already have a Garmin.  Wow the sound is great and it's nice to have an easy to use external volume control.  I can't wait to try it out on the bike tomorrow. 

Oh yeah it can also link with other riders who have Bluetooth communication set.

Hi Everyone
First, thanks for the feedback. After a little soul searching I've decided to forgo an external stereo for most of the reasons listed above. I'd still need to upgrade/replace my old wired intercom so the money is probably better spent on a complete intercom system.

Dude, once you've used your new Sena for a while would you mind if I contact you for an informal review? It gets really good reviews on WebBikeWorld but I also read a review from a guy that's on a trip to TDF and his unit crapped out in Mexico City. Apparently he had all kinds of wiring issues that were covered by warranty in the US but once he got further south it was too difficult to find parts and customer service.  My primary need is rider/passanger communication and music from my MP3. I don't use a cell phone when I'm riding and I'm a dinosaur in that I still use maps instead of GPS. Because of this I don't need a lot of the bells and whistles so the Sena's price is pretty attractive.

Anyway, thx again
Dale 

dboisclair no problem.  So far I have only tried it once.  I can tell you it works fine in 33 degree weather at 80 mph. :)

I'm a daily commuter and mostly listened to music.  I listen to mp3 through my phone.  I had been using helmet speakers but disliked the wires running from my tank bag to the helmet. 

I tried an HP Bluetooth dongle which helped.  Unfortunately the dongle dangled in the breeze as I rode along.  I put the dongle in a top pocket in my High Vis vest with wires running from the dongle to the helmet.  It was a cleaner set up but still too many wires.

I read some articles on webbike world about different bike communication sets and settled on the Sena SMH10.  Most places had it priced at about $169.00 then I ran across cyclebots at $139.00 so naturally I just had to buy it. 

I will update as I go along.  I liked the price and like you mostly listen to music.  The Bluetooth linked easily.

On the plus side:
Price
Ease of Use
Clarity of music and volume

On the minus side
Just over 1/2 mile range

If my fellow riders get farther away I'll call them on the phone.

I posted some photos of the set up on my helmet.

http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb329/Im_the_Dude/

I'll update as I get more usage.

Hi Dude
Thx
My current set-up is a wired intercom from IMC. It actually works fine - even up to 130 kph - but there's freak'n wires everywhere. From the battery to the box - then wires to each helmet - and another wire from  the box to my MP3 player. IMC uses firewire connections that are supposed to be waterproof but we rode in a torrential rain strom last year and  one of the connectioons got wet when we unplugged to gas up. There was a lot of squealing and feedback for a while and then they were OK again but never worked quite as good. At this point all I'm looking for is a wireless intercomm setup and something to play my MP3 so I'm looking forward to your followup posts.
Cheers

oldsawfiler said:
Personally, I don't like to "share" my music with the world.  I don't like to set next to a cage in traffic that is shaking the ground with his "music". 

Loud tunes save lives  >:D

'Course, the RIAA might try to sue you over sharing too much  C:)

I just took Dude's advice and got a set of the Senas form the same place.  $249 for a pair.  No real word tests yet, but the blue tooth connecting between the 2 units  1 unit and my phone was easy peasy.  Made a couple of calls with helmet on standing in the house and all was well so far.  Maybe  we'll get a break in the weather for some real tests.  Or I may try it the next time I'm plowing snow with the 4wheeler.

oldsawfiler said:
I just took Dude's advice and got a set of the Senas form the same place.  $249 for a pair.  No real word tests yet, but the blue tooth connecting between the 2 units  1 unit and my phone was easy peasy.  Made a couple of calls with helmet on standing in the house and all was well so far.  Maybe  we'll get a break in the weather for some real tests.  Or I may try it the next time I'm plowing snow with the 4wheeler.

Hope you have as good an experience with your's as I have with mine. 

Here's what I did. 4" marine grade pol audio speakers in the fairings, tiny headunit hanging under the buck dash shelf. sounds fine at 80mph.
http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=58588