• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Motorcycle vs. deer

JoeRau

Road Bike
I saw the pictures of a deer that was hit the other day on one of the forums I frequent.  The group rides a little faster than I am comfortable with, so I don't go to many of their rides.  They don't try to push me, but I don't want to hold them up. I do often use their routes (some really nice ones too!) to go on my own pace and times that fit my odd schedule.  Back to the deer incident- That one turned out very well.  Rider is fine, bike needs some work.  Even my dad hit a deer a few years ago on his Versys.  He kept it on 2 wheels with no injuries (to him) and only minor damage to the bike.  Most times bike vs. deer do not go so well.

Some of you know already, but I work in a 911 center in SE MN.  I take all kinds of emergency and non emergency calls- then dispatch law enforcement, fire & ambulance.  I commute through rural farm country almost exclusively on my motorcycle (Kawi C14) April - October.  Working 6AM to 5:30PM puts me riding in low light.  I see a lot of animals out there- both wild & loose domestic.  I installed Denali DM1 auxiliary driving lights to help with both night time lighting and daytime visibility.  I know not everyone will find them appealing, but I love them.

Today on my way to work it was quite foggy.  I chose to take the US Hwy (4 lane for 2/3 of the trip) rather than the county roads I normally take.  I don't know why. 

First call I take today was a motorcycle vs deer on the same road I chose not to ride in on.  The report I got is the rider was injured, but sounds like he should be ok.  Bike (wing) slid quite a ways down the road.  The deer (dead on impact) was claimed by a nearby landowner. 

I saw this guy nearly every day on my way home from work.  We usually met going opposite directions right near the scene of the crash.  I don't know the guy or his riding abilities.  I can't say if he where going too fast or other rider errors.  Maybe this was just a plain old "accident". 

I don't intend this to come across as judgmental, lecturing, or persuasive in any way.  Only to share a story.  This just sits in the back of my head maybe that could have been me had I chose to take my normal route to work.  I'm not going to change what I do.  I'll still ride, tour, and commute.  I'll continue to use that route most of the time both on the bike and in my truck.  I will be a bit more cautious in the low light, and rural areas.  I've hit plenty of deer before, but all with 4 (or more) wheels.  I hope to keep it that way.

There's a well marked deer crossing near my house, and it's to be avoided at night...  I will take the long way home instead.

The 'rut' is an especially dangerous time... deer lose their tiny little minds.

I wonder if your new driving lights might cause the "DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS" condition.

I don't like to use the word NEVER unless taking about past experiences - but I've heard that Deer never bolt backwards.
If that is true then always aim for their read end as if they bolt (as you get closer) you might just miss them.

If you are in a 4 wheel vehicle and there is no way to avoid them then step on the gas and speed up.
This will cause the front of the vehicle to lift and therefore might keep them from coming through the windshield.
The problem is that most of us will out of habit hit the brakes instead.
I would rather hit them head on vs. trying to avoid them and driving off the road into a ditch or tree which might kill me.

Personally I would like to see a month long deer season as they are big rodents and cause a lot of damage and injuries to us.
It's not like they are an endangered species and the numbers keep growing.

But trying to get the DNR to change something that has been in place for over 50 years is probably next to impossible.

Be careful out there.  :-\

I try to do my part for deer heard reduction & take a few for the freezer.  The last few years that has been 2-3 deer/ year with a combination of bow and muzzleloader.  Too bad I don't hunt & ride the same areas.  :-[

The deer bolting backwards is a new one to me.  I guess I've seen a lot of deer move quick.  Never backwards.  They do spin really fast & go the way they came from.  So fast that a bowhunter I know shot at a deer facing him from just 12 yards.  Even at a modest bow speed of 250 FPS (170 MPH) the deer managed to spin 180 degrees and the arrow struck it in the rear. 

Speaking of bow season- we get 3 1/2 months here in MN for bow season.  The gun hunters get pretty jealous since we get the long season and some nicer weather to hunt.  As for DNR- Department of Natural Resources right?  More like Do Nothing Right.  They have so many of the resources really messed up.  Fish, deer, timber, ect.  Years ago the management was left to the local managers to take care of.  They could ask to have higher deer harvest to eliminate damage to timber & reduce crashes.  Also they could reduce the deer harvest to keep a healthy heard if needed.  Now the management is handled at a political level.  The natural resource bills seem to fall in with some other unrelated material and passed or not.  Look at the disaster that is Lake Mille Lacs walleye and moose die off in MN, or the Lake Trout in NW WI, or the wolf population in both states, just to name a few. 

This does NOT apply to motorcycles, but:

If you are IN A CAGE and face a choice between hitting a deer or missing it and hitting something else, TAKE THE DEER.

Evidence of deer hit = Collision damage claim and your story of what happened is backed up.

No evidence of deer hit because you avoided it and struck something else (like a guardrail): No witnesses = No evidence to back up your story of swerving to miss a deer. Probably a Comprehensive claim, and you pay the deductible, and you might even get ticketed.

Thud300 said:
This does NOT apply to motorcycles, but:

If you are IN A CAGE and face a choice between hitting a deer or missing it and hitting something else, TAKE THE DEER.

Evidence of deer hit = Collision damage claim and your story of what happened is backed up.

No evidence of deer hit because you avoided it and struck something else (like a guardrail): No witnesses = No evidence to back up your story of swerving to miss a deer. Probably a Comprehensive claim, and you pay the deductible, and you might even get ticketed.

If the vehicle was moving, it should be a collision not comprehensive according to my agent I just talked to yesterday.

But that's why I said if there is no way to avoid it step on the gas. 
That will/should raise the front end and hopefully keep it from coming through the windshield.

Unfortunately I don't think that will work with a motorcycle, but the motorcycle MIGHT be able to go around him better.  :-\

Joe, I have more fear of deer collision than any other as most of the riding I do up here in the northern part of the state doesn't have a lot of traffic. It keeps me from doing much of any evening and/or night riding, which as the days shorten up quickly here, it really cuts into the short riding season as it is.
Keep safe, and I continue to do my part to harvest as many deer as they will let me (not many this year, it looks like). Kept the freezer stocked for many years and the grille smokin'.

I've talked with many people who don't think a deer collision can ever happen to them because they feel they will see the deer first and just avoid them. 

What they don't realize is that frequently a deer hiding in the ditch and/or the weeds at the side of the road will decide at the last possible second to bolt across the road.  You may never see the deer till it hits you!

The fatality rate for this type of collision is not something to take lightly.  I've never had this happen while riding (fingers crossed) but have had it happen three times while driving.  On a bike, I'd likely have been severely injured, helmet or not.

Yes, I'm paranoid about deer, especially in the fall rut season.

I hit a deer in my car several years ago.  It must have been running full tilt behind the tree line, cuz when I saw it from my left, all I had time to do was hit the brakes, and still hit it.  Killed it, so that made me feel better for the couple thousand $$ my car needed in repair.  And as others have said and I told nieces and nephews just starting to drive:  Hit the brakes, and DON'T swerve.  Kill what ever came into your lane.  Don't get killed by hitting a tree, utility pole, etc.  A nephew did just that and told me he remembered what I said.  Shaken up, but alive. :great:  Also my biggest fear are deer when on the bike.  Goofy buggers can change direction at the last second

I live and ride around MN and WI and encounter many Deer. A couple of things to consider...

When you see a Deer cross the road look where it came from, they typically follow each other.
Common mistake is to watch where the Deer went. You are looking in the wrong direction.

Be especially observant at pre-dawn and dusk.

As mentioned by the OP at high risk times you are safer riding main, well lit, roads.

I try to follow a vehicle just before and after dark on higher risk roads, preferably a truck as the deer wont "come over the top" when hit. This is not 100% safe as I found out when a doe shot out of a tree line between me and a truck I was following. :eek:

If you see a Deer grazing in the ditch DO NOT honk your horn. This can startle them and cause them to run on to the roadway. I only use the horn when they are crossing the road or standing on the shoulder.
When you do use your horn do so with multiple intermittent beeps. This does two things, it allows the Deer to find the location of the source better and freaks it out more making it run away from said threat back into the woods. The louder the horn the better.

Practice hard stops, and by that I mean stop so hard it feels like your retinas will detach.
VERY few of us do this often enough including myself. If you have ABS you should have zero fear.

Do not try to avoid the Deer by turning. If they are really moving, you are far better off braking hard and keeping a straight line. They will be out of your trajectory sooner than you think.
Typically it's not actually hitting the Deer that injures the rider, it's ensuing crash. I know many riders that have hit Deer and walked away, some even kept the Motorcycle upright.

Be hyper observant and keep a eye on those ditches!

Deer are a very serious threat here too.  I have aux lights pointed to the ditches, for those times that I have to ride in the early/late part of the day.  I will agree with Tundra Tom, practice the emergency stops. 

I will also say that around here, the ditches are no longer mowed as often due to budget cuts to highway / road departments.  They used to mow the entire right of way, now mostly just a few feet off of they pavement / shoulder.

Bob H said:
I've talked with many people who don't think a deer collision can ever happen to them because they feel they will see the deer first and just avoid them. 

What they don't realize is that frequently a deer hiding in the ditch and/or the weeds at the side of the road will decide at the last possible second to bolt across the road.  You may never see the deer till it hits you!

The fatality rate for this type of collision is not something to take lightly.  I've never had this happen while riding (fingers crossed) but have had it happen three times while driving.  On a bike, I'd likely have been severely injured, helmet or not.

This what happened to me, popped out from some high brush on the right and hit the canyon cage straight on and took out the lower plastics with its legs. I stayed upright and was able to continue my trip after some roadside repair. I have had quite a few close encounters with the forest rats, hate them!

A few deer stories from way too many close calls, and a few hits - one on a motorcycle

The often retreat to the way they came from

If one crosses the road, another is often right behind

They have incredibly small brains - very stupid with regard to avoiding moving vehicles

I have toyed with the idea of a coyote howl horn to entice the deer to stay in the bushes and hide, but perhaps that would make things worse. I reckon the 714 dogs per mile that would start barking would make this a less than "good neighbor" vehicle add on.

Thud300 said:
There's a well marked deer crossing near my house, and it's to be avoided at night...  I will take the long way home instead.

The 'rut' is an especially dangerous time... deer lose their tiny little minds.

I'm in WVa and I get a kick out of deer crossing signs. Truth is, every foot of highway east of the Mississippi river is a deer crossing.

Bob H said:

I used to be one of those people, that is until I woke up in Intensive Care.

My worst deer encounter was with a dead one. I don't like riding around dusk in the fall, but I got caught out one night...and I made things worse by following the car ahead closer than I really should have (70 mph 4-lane road). I was on the left portion of the left lane...going around a curve, the SUV ahead of me blocking my vision. SUV doesn't swerve or anything...but suddenly there's a fresh carcass on the road, almost directly ahead. Close enough that it actually left a blood streak on my pant leg.

I had zero time to react. If I'd been another foot to the left, I'd probably have gone end-over-end and been killed.

Yes, I hit a deer last Fall, just outside of Linnton, OR. It was a close call, at dawn, I saw it coming across 3 lanes and took action. It ran off into the bushes and up a hill, I stayed up and pulled over. NO damage to my bike. I must have hit the tail, as it lost some excrement on my right fender.

That was a close call. I was looking for the deer, even then...it was unavoidable.

You have to respect the unexpected.

Last summer I had to go from Oregon to Wisconsin to do some repairs on one of our houses for our tenant. I was going to take the bike, but thought better of it as I needed to get there and back fast. So I took the Altima we had at the time, figuring If I got tired I could pull over and sleep.  I averaged 80 mph cross country and the highest speed on the GPS  was 110 mph.
        Low and behold somewhere in Wyoming in Yellowstone National Park, I saw from the right side of the car down in a valley a deer running full speed towards the road. I looked down at the speedometer and judged the distance of the deer from the car. I was a little tired and thought to myself if this deer keeps going we are going to meet 1/4 mile up the road. Sure enough, we got to the spot, I was going probably 75, and as I saw him hit the road I just tapped my brakes and saw him go across the front bumper. I pulled over to look at the damage and I could not believe it!  I grazed his fur just enough to wipe the bugs off the front bumper!  And he was standing in the road behind me looking very surprised and he took off, into the woods unscathed, looking at me like what the heck just happened here, Prolly lost 1/8 inch of fur on his left side.
    True story and my only encounter with a deer to date. :rotflmao:

I had a deer leap over the hood of my car, "kicking" it in the process.  So, theoretically, a deer could possibly kick you off of your motorcycle, and be unscathed.

Met a guy in Needles , Ca . a couple years ago who had hit one going through Flagstaff on his Goldwing in the late eve which was a bad plan . He kept it upright barely and really hadd not much damage besides one radiator problem . there were still chunks of meat and hair stuck in his fairing  :eek:

Well,  I just hit one in my wife's fusion yesterday about 6:35 am.  Never saw it till the 1st one was in front of me and crossed....2nd almost made it.....got the right front of the car.  I was going about 30ish when I saw the 1st one and hit the brakes.....so just a half second and the 2nd one would have made it.  Broke the plastic light housing and did a small curl on the end of the hood.  400 bucks in parts and 1500 in labor.....unreal.

I am seriously thinking of selling the 2010 at this point.  I can't imagine hitting something like that!  I have been riding on the street for about 30 years and had my share of close calls with animals and tractors! LOL  But really thinking of letting the bike go. 

I have a buddy that has taken more deer with the peterbuilt ambulance he drives than he has ever taken with bow or rifle.  He is a good sport about the ribbing we give him, and coincidentally the guy I want plugging holes in me some idiot put there. 

It's not the deer down here that are so much of a problem for bikes though, it's the feral hogs that are out of control. 

From dusk to dawn is simply not a good time to ride I these parts.

Glad everyone is ok, still coming down from a callout on an active shooter.  (20 hour day, a couple hours sleep, and back in the saddle ).  Good side is no one but the bad guy got  hurt (including the infant he barricaded himself with).  At least I got a little ride in to the office for de-brief this morning ;)

Coastalcop said:
I have a buddy that has taken more deer with the peterbuilt ambulance he drives than he has ever taken with bow or rifle.  He is a good sport about the ribbing we give him, and coincidentally the guy I want plugging holes in me some idiot put there. 

It's not the deer down here that are so much of a problem for bikes though, it's the feral hogs that are out of control. 

Glad everyone is ok, still coming down from a callout on an active shooter.  (20 hour day, a couple hours sleep, and back in the saddle ).  Good side is no one but the bad guy got  hurt (including the infant he barricaded himself with).  At least I got a little ride in to the office for de-brief this morning ;)

Wow! You must be a motorcycle cop. I admire your dedication and skill. Thank you for protecting our populous. I have so many questions for motorcycle cops. I really do.

1 PM on CO 119 outside of Blackhawk and I am following two cages with 3 other bikes. 2 moose come out of the lodge poles to cross the road and get to to the pond on the other side. The Toyota in the lead slows down dramatically (I come to a stop) but still attempts to drive around the big bull. The car edges to the side and finally off the shoulder all together as the moose continues its jaunt. The driver finally came to a stop near the deer fencing along side the road. The 1st moose; with the 2nd in close pursuit, took the opportunity to jump onto the car's hood and springboard over the fence.  :-\ The auto did not move again under its own power.  Wild life encounters can be a little different in CO.

Tara said:
Coastalcop said:

Wow! You must be a motorcycle cop. I admire your dedication and skill. Thank you for protecting our populous. I have so many questions for motorcycle cops. I really do.

While I've done a few escorts PR things on a bike as LEO, I'm not a motor officer (always wanted to attend the motor course though), and honestly if I was still in a patrol position I wouldn't want to do it on a motor, those folks take CRAZY risks in day to day operations. Give me an emotionally disturbed person, barricaded subject, or high risk warrant any day over running stationary radar/lidar on the shoulder of a major highway !!!

One of my friends lives in the area where the deer is the biggest problem. He comes very late at night so he always needs to drive his motorcycle carefully.