• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MSF Advanced course

KAT1400

Tricycle
I took the MSF Advanced riding course today. I learned how to apply both front and rear brakes to perform a short safe stop. This was performed from 25 to 30 mph. I have to learn how to position my body better for the turns. I will practice more at Chattahoochee Tech when the parking lot isn't being used. If you haven't attended a course, I would recommend it. The class is only $85.00.
Next course I am planning on taking is Ultimate Bike Bonding, this is the MSF equivalent to the police course.
Ken

Good that you are enthusiastic about improving your skills. And you immediately identified something useful for everyday driving that you want to practice. You must have had a good instructor because you are already planning to enroll in another course. :great:

The bike is a machine that has safety tools built in. (Anti lock brake, traction control, tire pressure gauges). I want to learn how to use these tools in a parking lot with instructors, to get the most enjoyment out of the bike. I have already had to perform a panic stop to keep from hitting a q-tip driving a small car. Now, after taking the course, I think I can safely stop the bike in a shorter distance, then when the car pulled out in front of me. (Draw back, the kid tailgating me will run me over!) Hmmm, maybe knowledge isn't so great!  :-\
Ken

Would also suggest investing in a Ride Like a Pro DVD, they go over some good basics that you can practice on your own.  Also, no need to buy small cones, get about 6 tennis balls and cut them in half, works great.  I usually run through some drills ever week I can get on my girl.  :great:

Getting out of the parking lot and attending a track day that offers instruction is by far the most productive for improving your real world motorcycle skills.

SteveO said:
Getting out of the parking lot and attending a track day that offers instruction is by far the most productive for improving your real world motorcycle skills.

I agree

I learned more in my first trackday than 10 years of riding on the street !

Possibly true. I don't think many track days spend much time on emergency braking or maneuvering though. I'm also pretty sure that there are more "parking lots" than there are tracks.

The real "take away" point is that ANYONE can benefit from additional training and practice in a controlled environment, be it at a track day or at a "parking lot" program (MSF, Total Control, etc.).

Thanks for the "heads up" Ken. Great idea about Chattahoochee Tech.

Also, welcome aboard the SE train.  We've got a 3rd Thursday dinner in N. Metro each month (you don't even have to brave the collapsing interstates... ;D)  and we're trying to grow it. If you can come, we'd love to see you. Not too far from Kennesaw!

Ron