• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Murphs Knee Savers - Long

slybonesjesse

Sport Tourer
I got them today and installed them tonight. Have not even ridden with them yet. Tomorrow morning will be the first time with them. Just had to share. I used to have Genmar lowers, back in early 2006. When I ordered my Rick Mayer Saddle I had the genmar lowers installed. -- However in the quest to reduce knee pain for the wife, we tried a few things. With the help of several COG threads back then we came to the conclusion that she needed to stretch out by reaching forward and putting her feet on the rider pegs, while my feet were forward on the highway pegs. Then we can switch back and forth. The problem was, she cannot reach the pegs with the Genmar lowers on. But she could reach the stock pegs. So off come the lowers and the stock pegs have been on there for the last almost 3 years. In that time I noticed that I have never really sat on my Rick Mayer Saddle they way it was intended. I have often though about sending it back and having it changed. Partly was the position of the saddle wings itself. They are back quite a bit more than I liked. I kinda had to force myself to sit back in the saddle. Well so I thought. There is a recent thread about peg lowering. And people recommended the knee savers. Which is of course what I would do too. This got me playing around over the last week while riding to work. On my local backroads I started lowering my feet where I thought the pegs would be. To my surprise its more than just changing the angle of the knee. It also changed the angle at the hips, my hips rotated forward just a little bit, and my back straightened. WTF??? I soon realized that I was sitting forward to maintain a straighter angle in my hips. And that with my feet lowered, the new hip angle and rotation I could sit back in the saddle and it felt totally natural. So the Knee Savers go on order, and I tell the wife were just going to have to figure something else out for her. That this was just turning out to be more than a knee saver. Its a knee, hip, back and butt saver. Who would have thought.... So heres the best part. I get them installed and I call her out to get on the pass seat and try them out. SHE CAN REACH THEM JUST FINE. No problem what so ever. We soon dismiss than because I am not sitting on the bike. So its time for me to get on and then let her try again. So at this point its worth noting that with the stock pegs she could reach them, but her feet were on the outside of the pegs. She kinda had to twist her ankle and angle her feet in a bit to get them to hold on the pegs. But still it allowed her to stretch out. Well with knee savers she can reach them BETTER than the stock pegs. While lower I believe they are back more. Some how the back offsets the lower and she still reached them fine. In fact back it better because it easier to reach around my fat butt. She does not have to work so hard to hold her feet on the pegs. And she says there is more room for her. The way the pegs changed the whole angle of my hips, rotated them forward and straightened my back, she says it gives her more room. Last week before ordering I was out there showing her the difference. She could see how I was sitting both before and after. Tonight I am sitting there with the bike on the center stand and she is moving her hand around back there at the back of the saddle and where my butt connects and says its completely changed the way my weight is distributed in the saddle. --- Of course this is all theory, I have not even gone for a ride yet. I did move the shifter and brake lever. And I am sure I'll tweak them 1-2 more times before I am happy. Nor have we ridden 2-up with full gear. So there will be many ride reports to come. Just wanted to share the whole experience tonight. I was really dreading having to tell her sorry but too bad, I am putting lowers back in. Turns out a total win win situation. They work better for her too. 2003 Concours, 47K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
IMGP1036.jpg
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

On my truck club forum, people are always saying "This thead is worthless without pictures." Well here ya go http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieKneeSavers.htm 2003 Concours, 47K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
IMGP1036.jpg
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Ride to/from work today was good. I liked the new improved positions for the knees, seat, etc. They dont stick out as far as the Genmars and are a bit further back. So - Feet off the pegs at a stop light was not as bad as before, but I still feel the pegs at the back of by calves. - Picking feet up I kept hitting the pegs and flipping them up with the riding pants, and then having to fumble around to get the feet on the pegs. This was kinda annoying. -Still seemed to hit them backing out if the garage this morning. Seemed like with the Genmars I still was able to use the factory spring to help keep the peg down. Anyone see how to use that with the Knee Savers ?? It looked to me like the spring gets left off. At least I did. -- I wonder how much this contributes to ease at which they flipped up at the lights. All in all I am taking right to the new riding position, and I suppose with time I will learn/train myself to work around the above. Its been a while and today was day 1. 2003 Concours, 47K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
IMGP1036.jpg
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

You will get used to the flippy pegs. No the springs don't work with the Knee savers. It bothered me a few times too but now I never notice if I'm catching the peggs when I pick up my feet. You'l probably swing your leggs a little wider when lifting your feet up and all will be fine 1990 Aint she a pretty Tomato (the bike ofcourse) wedshots albums http://community.webshots.com/user/sawfiler64/albums/most-recent

I played around with the whole spring idea, but couldn't find a way to make it work that really offered a meaningful difference. While the pegs are floppy, I decided to leave it that way because 1) when your weight is on the peg, you never know the difference and 2) during a tip whith stock or genmars, busting the bracket is common. The double articulation of the kneesaver design allows for the peg to fold up against the bracket without a break. There are a number of reports that it has worked as designed, which makes me happy! Steve Shleper of the 7th gear unit and performance exhaust cam sprockets. My bike - "SHOODABEN" - 1109cc's of what an 04 concours "shoodaben"!

Over the last week I have been getting used to it. Its is much easier to get used to than the Genmars were. Not sure I ever really got used to the Genmars. But with these I have learned fairly quickly how to adjust so this is not near as bad now. Only happens once in a while, versus almost every time like when I first installed them. 2003 Concours, 48K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I installed my Murph's Kenn Saver's on Wednesday. Thursday I rode and decided that I needed to adjust the levers, thought I had it and when I get home tonight (Friday) will play again at adjusting the levers. Looks like a bit of trial and error to fine tune it, but I love my feet position and the feel now for my legs and squeezing the tank. Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA 2006 C10 COG # 7598 CDA#0293

Yeah got the rear brake on the first try. Shifter has been adjusted twice so far. Thinking 3rd time will be the charm. 2003 Concours, 48K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Got mine back from powder coat and mounted them yesterday. So far so good! With the height added by my air hawk I figure I gained two inches. Respectfully Yours! Wess Heavner COG #8010 CDA #0239
2488051070102653285S200x200Q85.jpg

Anyone had any problems with the GL1800 footpegs? Barely had these a month and one of the rubber tops came off this weekend on a long ride. Was about 800mi from home when I notice its not shifting as good as it used to. I am going down the road wondering what happended to my shift level that it suddenly raised up. I now have to really move my foot up to upshift and its hard making good shifts. And I really have to reach up with my foot to downshift. I am wondering how those little jam nuts could have some loose and the thing moved like that. And all of a sudden too.
IMGP2656S.JPG
2003 Concours, 50K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

About 10,000 miles on mine with no problems yet. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Well I am tired of looking at page after page of aftermarket, Kuryakyn footpegs and floorboards. Who sells the stock GL1800 footpegs besides the stealer. 2003 Concours, 50K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Murph and e-bay got mine on e-bay oh yah, and your not that far from bent gike COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Honda sells the individual parts. The rubber peg, the bracket that goes underneath and the screw were $26 with tax from the stealer. 2003 Concours, 50K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Update, questions and more. First I am easily getting used to picking my feet up and backing out if the garage in such a way as to not really notice any more. I can say I am getting used to these. Even before the tire swap. Along that lines my question is how many of you really "flat foot" at a stop sign or light, when both feet are down? I ask because I always hear about people talk about flat footing. I want to add some context to that. -- I find that when I have both feet down I generally reach out and forward so that the balls of feet are planted with my heels off the ground slightly. -- If the Connie was to tilt to one side or the other it would not go far and I would have shifted right on to a firm flat foot to that side. -- With one foot down, I have a slight tilt to the Connie and I am always flat foot. -- When the wife is getting on/off I always flat foot. So what does that have to do with anything. Well I also recently went from the Pilot GT Wing size tires back to D205 stock size tires. And I find the shorter tires means my feet are that tiny bit wider when backing out of the garage or sitting at a stop. And this makes the knee savers even less noticable. Yeah it seems like it would not be that much. And its not. But the knee savers are not that annoying. And this tiny bit makes it even less so. 2003 Concours, 51K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

When I recently switched from the Met.880s to The bridgestone V45s I noticed right away that my feet were more firmly planted. On the knee savers, I had an incident Sat. where my c10 ended up FLAT on its right side. The mirror was folded flat against the fairing but not broken, the murph bar on the right side was folded into the fairing, and the muffler and JCW trunk were scratched. Maybe because of the bar taking some of the fall the mirror survived and the knee saver/peg was undamaged. They do fold up flat against the side of the bike. So, besides the comfort factor, they are less prone to damage in a CDA. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

I had a tip over of my own at Fontana. Don't try and center stand a bike that is not level away from you at 7am. I have the old type lowering bracket and it bent some. If anyone is selling I need something for that and a windshield. Thanks to whom ever donated the stock shield for my way home. It was much better then nothing. I never found out who you are. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br