• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Muzzy or ProjektD lowering kits...and fork flexing

nando

Crotch Rocket
Does anyone know HOW MUCH does each of these thing lower your bike?

What effects does these things have on the driveshaft? Handling?

Does anyone make a center stand to replace the stock?

Has anyone cut their OEM stand to make it work with a lowering kit? How much did you cut and with which lowering kit?

I had the low suspension version of the 1200RT and I did not like it. I was planning on leaving this one alone...but, I do like the idea of sitting the rear a bit lower and have a slightly longer rake in the front. I do not mind sacrificing 'turnability' (manuverability) as I prefer having 'sitability-on-freeway'. Bikes with longer rake sit well on the highway.

I have the Muzzy lowering links 1 1/2" is what i bought and they do lower the bike an 1 1/2".

effect on driveshaft I am not a good wrench so really have no idea but have had no pfoblems.

Handling I did not move the fork tubes left them stock and have not dragged pegs or bottomed out yet i have not noticed anything different.

Did not replace center stand just push up on a 1" board and works fine.

I cut 3/4 " out of my side stand almost wish I wen't 1" but it works fine.

Like that i can flat foot the girl now :)

I put the Muzzy lowering links on my 2012 (1-1/2" as stated above) an had the fork tubes raised 3/4".

She handles just like before, pretty much, but the pegs (Murph's lowered pegs) scrape pretty early in spirited riding. I beveled mine a little on a ride while at Canaan last weekend.

So when you lower the bike, if you were used to riding it more aggressively than about 6/10ths, you will simply have to slow down and count that as the cost of being able to flat foot.

If you don't ride agressively, you may never notice the difference in handling. But any time you change the geometry, even 1 degree, you change handling.

How did you guys adjust your rebound and pre-load after lowering the C14?

I got my suspension set up per Fred's suggestion (entertainment suggestions that is). Did you have to reset your suspension setting? if so, by how much, which way?

Actually, I need to set mine up, the mechanic did it for me because I told him I was a fat guy, but....

Downloaded the stickied how-to and will use it over the winter. For now, its doing just fine.

Does anyone know where to find installation instructions for the lowering kits...the video type preferably since I can't read Mechanical Idioms but I am good monkey and I can imitate stuff pretty well.

my 2cents worth,
I used the ZX14 links, got a solid 2" lower,did not like the center stand situation,did not like that I could not use the center stand,(for normal use or roadside emergency use) ,something I didnt consider is that with the lowering links the uni-track in in it's "progressive riseing rate" mode and the ride was stiffer. this I did not like as stock it rides very smooth!
                                                                                              Mike

Am I understanding this right:
If I lowere the Connie...
The rear suspension is going to be stiff  ther is no way to adjust the setting to OEM feel

Gotta get a new kick stand

Gotta chop the center stand

Changing the oil and any other 'underside' gig will be more limited

I am just about talked-out of lowering my bike. The only thing I would like to try is to ride with the lowered rear
nd longer rake in the front. I can flat foot but I think a lower center of gravity comes in handy for a commuter wiggling in and out of traffic and parking places. I wonder why no one has designed a center stand foe lowered C14?

nando said:
The rear suspension is going to be stiff  ther is no way to adjust the setting to OEM feel

I am just about talked-out of lowering my bike. The only thing I would like to try is to ride with the lowered rear
nd longer rake in the front. I can flat foot but I think a lower center of gravity comes in handy for a commuter wiggling in and out of traffic and parking places. I wonder why no one has designed a center stand foe lowered C14?

I'm confused why you'd want to lower the bike if you can already flat foot it??  :017:

ZG said:
nando said:

I'm confused why you'd want to lower the bike if you can already flat foot it??  :017:

I am curious on how it would sit on the freeway with a bit longer front rake. And I guess I am also wondering how much more comfortable it would be with a lower center of gravity in terms of moving it around and taking turns

ZG said:

I'm with you, ZG. When you lower the bike, you limit ground clearance, and usually limit suspension travel. So you hurt handling. And it changes the geometry, which Kawasaki already got pretty much spot on, stock.

I lowered mine because I couldn't touch the ground and stops were hell. Otherwise I never would have lowered it.

Well I guess you guys are adding fuel to my skepticism regarding lowering my Blackie C

Besides all the hassles, I don't really need it for reaching the ground...plus I dont want the extra curricular that bring expenses and lower performance design...done! Thanks for your input

I did noted when I bought this bike and rode it for the first couple of days, that, here was a bike, for the first time in my riding years, that felt so right off the bat like: there was nothing I would change on it. I dont want to tout horns but I have been riding for a long time chopper (when choppers where really choppers, not rolling jewlery) cruiser and sportcruisers. Connie is a girl for whom I would be the only farkle she gets.

But then, reading forums here, one  tend to get curious...about evil farkles and mods...its the evil spirit of Aftermarket swarming about looking for idle posters whom to devour. But I am casting this demon away...in the name of OEM...be gone from me lowering kit spirit!    :D  :D

JR said:
Good, now go spend the money on a different farkle. Got cruise control yet?  :great:

I have throttlemeister...which is not the greatest but simple.

I got a Cee Bailey ultra dome coming

I got some skins from TechSpec coming

I put some puppies on the handlebar grips

Reflective tape here and there

These rear view mirror helpers...which are great
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=c&cid=139&sc=58446&adpos=1t1&creative=16158568398&pc=TERKHFHY&gclid=CJqUhozl7LICFQjZQgodV2wAXw

I have a Marine Backpack for a trunk where I carry most of my putter, books etc

I am still thinking of putting Engine Ice soon, I just dont have the time for that nonsense right now

I would like to put more rear lights: run/brake/blink set up. But after hearing the horror story Fred went through with a modification on the rear lighting system I am very reluctant

I have looked at all the engine guard bars around but none strike my fancy

I may try a handlebar raiser at some point. But I am trying to get used to riding Ala crouch-rocket style--something feels right about that. I rode my RT sitting up straight and it was very uncomfortable...pressure butt spots

...and I can't say this enough: This is the best bike I ever owned...

nando said:
JR said:
Good, now go spend the money on a different farkle. Got cruise control yet?  :great:

I have throttlemeister...which is not the greatest but simple.

Nice list. I had a Throttlemeister on my ZX14 for a while, but hated it. And when you go up or down a hill, it doesn't adjust. Which is why I put a Rostra electronic cruise control on my C14, and consider it absolutely the #1 best farkle of any I have installed.

I would definetely go with Rostra cruise if I had tha savvy to install it...or if I had a vid of how its done..I can do monkey-see-monkey do mechanics....but if some one explains it..forgetboutit...first of all I dont know how to find any of those circuits and things electronic to work with