• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

My First Night With A Concours - The Hydrolock Rod Test

hoonigan

Training Wheels
Hello all, my name is Matt and I recently purchased a 20-year-old motorcycle with 71,000 miles without inspecting it or doing any research on the model.

i-6kb8Cnq-L.jpg

After the 50 mile ride home (yep), it was quite apparent that she needed some love, so I headed to the internet to do some homework.  My studies, along with some very sound advice, led me to start with a Hydrolock Rod Test so I knew where I stood. 

Here is my story.

First, I started by assembling the device.

i-XjxJfxd-L.jpg

Some grommets, a wooden dowel, and a washer.  Simple, elegant, and cheap.  However, after a couple of checks, I found that #1 and #4 were just too close to call.  The minor inconsistencies in the rod-and-washer method were giving me mixed results, so I gathered some supplies and got serious.

i-bjgdV4z-L.jpg

In order of importance:
- "Parts Cleaner" and Coke (To stay warm.)
- Beans and Rice (To stay warm.)
- Rod Testing Rod (For testing rods.)
- Digital Calipers (I told you this was getting serious.)
- TI-86 (Really serious.)

I took 10 measurements on each cylinder and averaged my results.  This helped to mitigate the small variances caused by the angle of the tool and the squish of the grommets.  I found that #2 and #3 were .125mm off and that #4 was .679mm below #1.  So #4 is bent, but not enough for me to spend the summer cracking the case instead of riding.  I'll re-visit it when the snow starts flying.

And that was my first night with a Concours.

i-WJL4ftf-L.jpg

I finished-up around 2 am and retreated to the house for some sleep.  I was told I smelled like gas, beans, "parts cleaner," and sweat.

Today I'm pulling the carbs and picking up some RTV for the busted airbox.

It is nice to meet you all and I'm sure we will be talking again soon.  Cheers!

Special Thanks to Steve in Sunny Fla who donated a good chunk of his valuable time to giving a complete stranger free technical advice.  I owe ya one.

And WELCOME to ya. Great first post.  We're glad you found this place and hope to meet up with you soon. 

OK, due to piston shapes, you still cannot get a truely perfect measurement unless you have a rod the fits snugly in the plug hole as a guide, and another that snugs into the plug boot bore. That way the measuring rod is held in perfect alignment with the piston, and you can get an accurate reading. Oh wait, there could be carbon on a piston that would throw off the readings, so that's not perfect either. The only way to be perfect is to remove the head and set up a dial indicator on the piston top.

Or in my experience the cheap little rod test is really pretty accurate if there's a bent rod, because if the bend it's pretty noticeable. My call on your engine is that the rods are fine.  :beerchug:  Steve

First, let me roll out the welcome wagon... 
2sgn052welcomewagon.gif

Then let me say you're certainly 'taking charge' on the Connie...  When I did my bent rod test, I had
the timing cover off to get the pistons TDC, and I still had a miniscule difference in 2 to 3 and 1 to 4...
but the difference was so small (hardly measurable) that I decided the same thing you did... ride the bike!
That was during my first valve adjustment, and my Connie has run about 15k miles STRONG since.

Keep up on that preventative maintenance...  get some fresh fluids in that bike, and enjoy the ride!!
The Concours is a great bike, and a work horse...  Get's me to and from the COG rallies loaded with
all my camp gear and my fat @$$ without a whimper. (usually 1.5k to 1.8k mile weekends)

:welcome: to the forum, and congratulations on the Connie.  You will fall in love with her.....I bought mine in '97 "as a short term bike" and still have her. And am rebuilding her after an accident. Every time I get another  bike to replace....I can't let her go. Good job on the tests, nice to see ya' ain't 'fraid to work on her!

Rev Ryder said:
We're glad you found this place and hope to meet up with you soon. 
I am glad I did too!  Thanks for the warm welcome!

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
My call on your engine is that the rods are fine.  :beerchug:  Steve
Here's to another 70k!  :singing:

Mcfly said:
The Concours is a great bike, and a work horse...  Get's me to and from the COG rallies loaded with
all my camp gear and my fat @$$ without a whimper. (usually 1.5k to 1.8k mile weekends)
Good to hear!  I picked this bike up because my Honda Shadow was struggling to haul the old lady, myself, and our luggage. 

It also took 8 hours to detail...
i-cbHFSjX-L.jpg

Rain Dancer said:
:welcome: to the forum, and congratulations on the Connie.  You will fall in love with her.....
I already have.  I bought the bike not sure if I was going to keep it or flip it for a profit.  About 20 miles into the ride home I said to myself with a grin "Oh.  I am keeping this."

---------------------------------------------------

Thanks to all for the well-wishes!

Mathew shows up here forum savvy, photo savvy, bike savvy, and humor savvy.  Dood, yer gonna have some fun with this demented crowd!

:welcome: :72: :motonoises:

Mood,

Welcome to the group. If not already join COG, come to the National. You'll be a great addition!

Phil
COG 5879
'99 w/81,900
Valves have not changed in 18k!

Matt......you are gonna fit in real good round here :D  No, I mean it!  Not sure where you are, other than NC area. Hope to see you at some event down the road.  :motonoises:

Flat-spot said:
Dood, yer gonna have some fun with this demented crowd!
NKClM7C.gif

PhatPhingers said:
Love the "parts scooper" just to the right of the rod deflection gauge.
That's for sifting through the BS.

Rock said:
If not already join COG, come to the National.
Just did!  And what is "the National?"

2fast said:
Not sure where you are, other than NC area.
I am in Cleveland!  We're not Detroit!

"The National" is the annual COG nat. rally.  This year it's called "Concours in the corners" and it's in Cortez, CO. the week starting June 15.  You'll find several threads about it under "rallies, rides, and events. :great:

Cleveland?  You live not far from "Man of Blues".  He's got both Concours models and Kaws from every decade I think.  WATCH OUT for his sarcasm. :))

Welcome to COG,  :beerchug:"Join for the Motorcycle, stay for the people". I joined 2 years ago after I bought my new 2 me '02.  I'd stay with this group even if I bought a HARLEY  :-\  Some of the nicest people I've ever met, and at 67 I've met a bunch. My membership will only lapse when I join the rally in the "Here After". Seriously, haven't met an "AAH" yet (arrogant is first word). I'll be going to my first National in June, it promises to be a blast.  :motonoises: Because of COG I've put more miles (and loving it) in the last 2 years than I had in the previous 10, it's the people, and the Connie :great:

CBX-Bob said:
Welcome to COG,  :beerchug:"Join for the Motorcycle, stay for the people". I joined 2 years ago after I bought my new 2 me '02.  I'd stay with this group even if I bought a HARLEY  :-\  Some of the nicest people I've ever met, and at 67 I've met a bunch. My membership will only lapse when I join the rally in the "Here After". Seriously, haven't met an "AAH" yet (arrogant is first word). I'll be going to my first National in June, it promises to be a blast.  :motonoises: Because of COG I've put more miles (and loving it) in the last 2 years than I had in the previous 10, it's the people, and the Connie :great:

YEAH,
We are a pretty awesome group!

Matt

Flat-spot said:
This year it's called "Concours in the corners" and it's in Cortez, CO. the week starting June 15.
Aww, man!  I wish I'd have started this project earlier!  :(  My ETA is next spring.  Well, as Clevelanders always say: "There's always next year!"

CBX-Bob said:
Because of COG I've put more miles (and loving it) in the last 2 years than I had in the previous 10, it's the people, and the Connie.
My last bike averaged 1300 mi/yr.  Hopefully I can start making up for it soon!  :motonoises:

mattchewn said:
We are a pretty awesome group!
Ahh, c'mon.  There's gotta be at least ONE guy nobody likes!  ;D

MFox, the nat. rally kinda switches ends of the country every year, so next year it will hopefully be closer to us.

About that one guy nobody likes, there are several of us that take turns. ??? :rotflmao: :-X :D :( >:D :))

Flat-spot said:
About that one guy nobody likes, there are several of us that take turns. ??? :rotflmao: :-X :D :( >:D :))

To quote a great, pink cartoon character, "Ain't it the truth. Ain't it the truth!"

Methinks your referring to da Cowardly Lion:
"Read what my medal says: "Courage". Ain't it the truth? Ain't it the truth?"

Actually I was thinking Snagglepuss, but referenced Pink Panther.  Wrong pink cat.  Indeed the Cowardly lion (another cat) is probably the source from which Snagglepuss (or his writer) stole the line. 
http://youtu.be/xoLCDrOJGV0

"Ain't it the truth... ain't it the truth even."

Alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllrighty then. Someone kindly suggested I do this test and without understanding, I was skeptical. Well, now not so much. Seems these babies have a knack for bending rods due to hydro-lock. Watched the Video and realized Steve in sunny Florida is actually SHOODABEEN Engineering and I was quite delighted. Firstly THANK YOU to whomever it was that suggested I do this test. In addition, I wish to THANK Steve in Sunny Florida for All YOU DO BROTHER. YOU ARE A TRUE BLESSING TO THOSE OF US IN SEARCH OF much needed Technical Expertise. Lastly I wanna thank EVERYONE HERE for your guidance and assistance or even anticipated guidance. This site ROCKS 🍻🍻🍻🍻

Alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllrighty then. Someone kindly suggested I do this test and without understanding, I was skeptical. Well, now not so much. Seems these babies have a knack for bending rods due to hydro-lock. Watched the Video and realized Steve in sunny Florida is actually SHOODABEEN Engineering and I was quite delighted. Firstly THANK YOU to whomever it was that suggested I do this test. In addition, I wish to THANK Steve in Sunny Florida for All YOU DO BROTHER. YOU ARE A TRUE BLESSING TO THOSE OF US IN SEARCH OF much needed Technical Expertise. Lastly I wanna thank EVERYONE HERE for your guidance and assistance or even anticipated guidance. This site ROCKS 🍻🍻🍻🍻
There's considerably more valuable information and benefits that come with a full membership. Join us.

So, did you have a bent rod?

Ride safe, Ted