• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

My SpiderRide drop

MizzouMike

Rain Magnet
I have heard the stories... its not a question of 'IF' but a matter of 'WHEN' you will eventually drop your connie.  Well after 5 years of owning a C-10, today was my day.

Unfortunately, this happens to be while attending the Spider Ride in Southeast Missouri.  I had parked in the grass while camping, the ground was kind of soft, but I had my sidestand puck, and all was well.  She was resting a little closer to vertical than normal, but didn't seem too likely to have any issues.  I had just packed up all of my stuff and strapped it onto the bike.  She was starting to idle normally, and I was in the process of putting on my gear.  Last thing to do, close the left side saddle bag.  And that is where it went bad.  I had too much stuff packed in and this required a little additional 'umph' as I tried to crush the dirty closes and other riding gear.... I guess I applied too much 'umph' to a more than normally vertical bike, and away she went.  I tried to grab a hold, but it was not use, she tumbled over onto her other side.  The embarrassment of dropping your bike in front of other riders was humbling, but at least I had a lot of help to get her back upright.  There is now photographic proof of this drop, so I guess now I will earn the dreaded CDA award  :mad:

The damage was fairly minimal, as the ground was soft from the overnight dew.  I bent my highway peg and the right side antler is at a strange angle.  The mirror and breaklever are muddy, but otherwise intact.  I was lucky.....

:'(  Each and every time it saddens my heart...  Glad you weren't hurt, and your Connie's hurt was minimal.

Sorry to hear about the drop, but it sure looks like you had a great time at the Spider Ride.  Found something soft for Connie to lay over upon too.  I know the feeling though; I've also pushed her over while trying to close that left-side saddlebag.  Glad that neither you nor Connie was hurt!

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 517th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:

0513 C14 Wesley Gammill
0514 C10 Tim Perry
0515 C10 John Toporowski
0516 C14 Todd Everetts
0517 C10 Michael Spickelmier