• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NC - SE Michigan Tech Day / Wrench Session Sunday, April 26 @ 10am

talcon

Hi everybody!

Well we had another LONG winter here in Michigan - time to start getting the bike(s) ready for riding season!

I'll be holding a MI Tech Day/Wrench Session at my house in Fenton, MI on Sunday, April 26, 2015, so mark your calendars and plan to attend.  If you don't have any work to do, come out anyway and meet the COG folks in the area!  Maybe you can help or learn from others as they work on their bikes.  I will help where I can!

We'll get started around 10am and go til 4pm or so - no problem if you'll be coming in later that morning. 

Address is:  235 Ponchartrain Dr, Fenton, MI 48430  (blue house)

I am right off the Silver Lake Rd Exit and US-23 in Fenton.  Go east on Silver Lake Rd. from the exit, and you'll see a self-storage yard on the South side, I'm the next street past that, 3rd house from the end on the right.  In case of rain, I have a 2-car garage we can work out of.

Drop me an email, pm or reply here if you're planning on coming and give me an idea of what you'd like to work on.  Plan on either bringing the materials you'll be in need of, make prior arrangements with me, or let me know if you would like me to arrange to have other tools or equipment on-hand.  I have friends with lifts, etc.  I even have a trailer - so let me know and we can try to get your bike here before-hand if needed the day before or earlier that morning.

As for food - I was thinking I could cook burgers/dogs on the charcoal grill if everybody could chip in a few dollars.  Let me know your preference!  There's a decent coney place nearby also.

Lastly - if nobody has work to do - we can ALWAYS go for ride!  :)  It's nice country-side here, with lots of lakes.

Looking forward to seeing you!

Hi Randy,  whazzup?  I'm gonna try to make that one.  :motonoises:
Oh,  and coneys will be fine.  How you gonna cook when you're wrenching on my bike?  :rotflmao:

Cool!  Be good to see you Mark!  I'll have coffee & donuts for sure! 

You know me - I'll help wherever I can.  Those newfangled C-14's look pretty complicated though!  ;)

Hay Randy, Richard here. I do my best to be there. If you need anything let me
know. I may have to drive down, we will have to see what the weather will be like.
AMA magazine shows "observed trials events" May 3rd in Flushing, May 17th in
Whitmore Lake and May31th in Metamora. If you have never seen or been to
an Observed Trials event check one out. And no I don't think a Connie would work.

Thanks Richard!  looking forward to seeing you! 

I'm planning on the Stockbridge "All Clubs Ride" on May 3, and am out of town on May 17 already, but would definitely like to check it out in Metamora on May 31st!  You coming down for that? :)  We could make it another Official event!

As for the wrench session, here is a list of work that's been requested:

[list type=decimal]
[*]Carb sync (I don't have a gauge & need an aux fuel bottle too, right? - and it's been a few years, but I could probably figure it out again).
[*]Cam chain tensioner adjustment  (I have no idea how to do this - anybody?  :eek: )
[*]Cylinder compression test ( need a testing unit for this too...)
[*]Front fork oil change, adjustments    (never done this myself - would like to  :truce: )
[*]Rear shock pressure check & adjustment ( this I CAN help with! :)
[/list]

So I might be good for something here but I need some knowledgeable C-10 gods to help me out!  Did I mention the free donuts and coffee?

Randy,
    Would like to attend but it doesn't look promising w/ the Stockbridge event the following wknd. 
Kinda hard to get hall passes on consecutive weekends & with the May trip coming up also....now that the wife decided to retire..... :( 

DeansZG said:
Randy,
    Would like to attend but it doesn't look promising w/ the Stockbridge event the following wknd. 
Kinda hard to get hall passes on consecutive weekends & with the May trip coming up also....now that the wife decided to retire..... :(

I hear ya!  I'm going to have a busy summer too!  I'm eyeballing all the dual-sport opportunities now with my DRZ  :)  Also need to eek out some time to get some fishing in!!!  That's always good for my soul.

Tell her I said congrats on the retirement!!!  Is it everything I dreamt it could be?  How far away are you from retirement now?  You'll be moving south at some point then, right? 

"Also need to eek out some time to get some fishing in!!!"

I'm going steelhead fitchin' on the Muskegon River tomorrow morning.  Buddy with a river boat is taking me.

WOOOOT!    :great:

I will be there rain or sun. I have Crabtune to synchronize carbs I can bring it with me. I also found during my spring clean up the garage, 2 stock calipers for
C 10 model 93 up with 2 steel braided Galfer brake lines I will gladly give it to anybody interested for free, don't have C 10 any more. See ya there. 

Wow!  If I had a C10 I'd be there super early just for the Galfer lines. :beerchug: I paid over $200 for C14 fronts.  :eek: Gotta love these COG peoples. ;D ;D

wingboy said:
I will be there rain or sun. I have Crabtune to synchronize carbs I can bring it with me. I also found during my spring clean up the garage, 2 stock calipers for
C 10 model 93 up with 2 steel braided Galfer brake lines I will gladly give it to anybody interested for free, don't have C 10 any more. See ya there.

Hi Pawel - yes that would be great if you could being the Crabtune along!  Looking forward to seeing you again!

Definitely working that day, but may try to ride up, depending how long work lasts.  Galfer lines would be worth the trip (as would the ride), but not so sure it's happening for me.

Randy, I have also reservoir bottle but the hose may be leaking don't remember now as I did not use if for a while but I can take it with Carbtune as bottle itself is fine. See ya all there.

i have a compression tester I can bring.

A 2 foot length of fuel line will let you use the fuel tank off to the side for card sync.  I will bring that too.

I will bring my Clymer manual. It's got enough info to do
all most anything on a C-10.
Maybe also my soon to be made torque wrench calibrator.
Need to fine the right scale.

Already told work I'm not working that day plan on coming up. I have vacuum carb sync setup I'll bring with me.don't really need an aux fuel tank just set the tank up on a work bench with long hose works fine

Stasch said:
i have a compression tester I can bring.
Cool!  Thanks Stan!

RWulf said:
I will bring my Clymer manual. It's got enough info to do all most anything on a C-10.
I have one also!

wingboy said:
I have 2 torque wrenches that I can take too, looks like big wrenching is coming.  :beerchug:
I have the el-cheapo harbor freight torque wrenches also... the more the merrier!

Big Ed said:
Already told work I'm not working that day plan on coming up. I have vacuum carb sync setup I'll bring with me.don't really need an aux fuel tank just set the tank up on a work bench with long hose works fine
Very cool! 

Looking forward to seeing everybody! 

The day is shaping up to be sunny and clear with a high of 60! 

The consensus, so far, seems to be to go out for Coney's...    Fenton Coney Grill okay with everybody? 

Yeesh.  Weather forecast headed for the dumper. Cloudy, chance of afternoon rain, high of 51 deg.

Gonna be a chilly ride in from GR, starting out in the low 30s.

Weather holding according to intellicast - still showing sunny & clear and high of 60 for you left-coasters (but it will be 40+ starting out).  Take yer time getting here if you want.. wait for the sun to go up :) 

We'll save you some donuts! (Mmmmm... doooooonuuuuuuts).

It looks like 55 or so, and cloudy here later in the day.  Not ideal, but I still don't see any chance for precipitation  :great:

(better than the spotty blizzard conditions yesterday!  what the hell was that?  I had snow on the ground this morning!)

Forecast looking better today. Still gonna be a chilly wake-up ride. I'll be heading out prolly 8:30 or 9:00am. 10:30-11:00 arrival.

Randy...PM me your cell# in case something comes up.

:great:

RWulf said:
Can't wait for Sun, if I did I would miss lunch.
And a usual north coasters are left out.

Hate to think we're leaving you out Richard!  Weather will be the same for you, but MUCH cooler, cause you're way up there in the North latitudes.  I also found the perfect motorcycle for you:

Mountain-Horse-Dirt-Bike-Snow-Kit-1.jpg

IF..... we get our project done Sunday morning, 3 of us hooligans old guys might just show up at your place Randy. :-\

DeansZG said:
  IF..... we get our project done Sunday morning, 3 of us hooligans old guys might just show up at your place Randy. :-\

No problem!  Be good to see you all!!!  :great:

It was a great Tech Day!!!  Had a nice turnout, lots of conversation and laughs, and even a little work on the bikes (I include one picture of an actual bike being washed as proof  :rotflmao:) 

IMG_6216.2015-04-26_170310.JPG

Left to Right - Jim, Stan, Pawel, Richard, Joe, Me (Randy), Dean, Ed, Marc, Larry, Chris, Tim & Tom  - Thanks for coming guys!!! 

IMG_6210.2015-04-26_155433.JPG

IMG_6211.2015-04-26_155438.JPG

IMG_6214.2015-04-26_163125.JPG

Thanx for putting this on, Randy! Gots me a fresh carb sync and it's running dandily. Thanx to all for their help. T'was a good time as well.

:beerchug:

Hats off to Randy - great event.  I had a great time, the hospitality was great - there were even donuts.  Woot.

Good to see everyone out.

RWulf said:
Randy, KaDo's or what ever. Stasch did enjoy the donuts.
I was watching.

haha Richard!  :rotflmao:

Thanks to everybody for bringing their tools, gauges, testers, etc. - hopefully everybody got their work done!  I even got some serious bonus help from Jim and Dean taking out the lowering links on my non-Connie!  Very cool!  Thanks guys!!!

Glad to help out, was the least I could do since you hosted the gathering! :great: 
Plus I'm glad Jim was the one doing the wrenching while lying on the slab...I would've prolly dozed off :sleepy:

Great turnout, glad to see some new faces too! Managed close to 200 miles by the time I pulled back into the garage, good way to start off the new riding season!!!