• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NC's November Wrenching Session in the Raleigh NC Area!!!

Bump!

If anyone has experience with doing the valve adjustment on a C10, your attendance and assistance at this event will be appreciated.

Pope and Dave,
There may be a need to switch my attendance from the Mooresville session to the the Cary session.
Furniture market will be in full swing during Oct and my potential mandatory attendance at showroom and client meetings over the weekend might force the date change.
At this point I'm about 90% sure of the switch.
Buzz

I've done a C10 valve adjustment before.  easy-peasy.  I'll plan to be there and help.

First question though.....will there be cookies?  :great:

lol....anything with sugar qualifies.  I'm just looking forward to meeting some of the eastern NC/SC guys there, so let's get more participation!!!!

Flivver....do you have the feeler gauges, etc that you need?  It's possible that you can do this without removing side case, but I prefer doing it removed to make seeing the alignment marks easier, especially the first time you do one.  If you want to go that approach, have some form-a-gasket available to put it back on.

I guess I could hold off and do my neutral switch leak repair then just to let folks see.

Sugar, I can do.  Y'all need to tell me what to get, actually.  I've never hosted anything like this.  Sounds like the host provides lunch, yes?  I can do that...

As for feeler gauges...  I bought some, but don't know if they're the right thing.  They look like they get thin enough for this, but if you could bring some just in case, that'd be great.

I went ahead and got a new valve cover gasket and side cover gaskets (two of the latter), so removing the side cover should be no problem. :)

Do I need to have the fairings removed beforehand?  I haven't done that yet, ever.

Removing the plastics for this only takes 30 minutes or so, so you can do it before if you want, or wait till that day.  I usually wait because I ride the bike all the time, but in your case, since we're coming to you, you could get a jump start.

Feeler gauges need to be pretty thin for this work.  be sure you have from .005 on up.  I'll scrounge around for my set.  haven't used them in a while.

You don't need to provide lunch.  I did the last time cause it was a bit easier.  One other session I hosted we made a lunch run to a near-by restaurant.  We could also have some food delivered....that's an option too.

Sport Rider said:
You don't need to provide lunch.  I did the last time cause it was a bit easier.  One other session I hosted we made a lunch run to a near-by restaurant.  We could also have some food delivered....that's an option too.

Yep! That's how it works.

Oh Dave! I need your receipts so that I can get you reimbursed. A scanned copy "should" work and can you also send me the photos that Denise took. I need them to do a writeup.

The Pope said:
Sport Rider said:

Yep! That's how it works.

Oh Dave! I need your receipts so that I can get you reimbursed. A scanned copy "should" work and can you also send me the photos that Denise took. I need them to do a writeup.

Yeah...I need to remind you about the bolt too.  totally forgot!  :eek:

Sport Rider said:
Yeah...I need to remind you about the bolt too.  totally forgot!  :eek:

Dropped it (the bolt) off with the machinist Monday. He said that he'd work it in. It should be done by Friday.

flivver said:
Sugar, I can do.  Y'all need to tell me what to get, actually.  I've never hosted anything like this.  Sounds like the host provides lunch, yes?  I can do that...

As for feeler gauges...  I bought some, but don't know if they're the right thing.  They look like they get thin enough for this, but if you could bring some just in case, that'd be great.

I went ahead and got a new valve cover gasket and side cover gaskets (two of the latter), so removing the side cover should be no problem. :)

Do I need to have the fairings removed beforehand?  I haven't done that yet, ever.
I would highly recommend replacing the spark plug well gaskets. Murpks' has 'em.

I'm pretty sure I got those, too.  Will have to check my boxes...  I have several, from Murph. :)

All,
I plan on attending.
I can bring Clymers manual, extra feeler guages, torque wrench, hole saw for bafflectomy and some other assorted tools. Still bebating whether or not I'm going to drain/refill fork oil.
Buzzard

Sounds like we're going to have ourselves a nice little get-together!

What do y'all like to snack on?  Are you "chips" people or "sweets" people?  I already got your vote for sweets, Sport Rider! :)

How 'bout drinks?  Diet or otherwise?  Coffee drinkers?

What time do these things kick off, by the way?  I can be ready as early as y'all would like.

I'm looking forward to it!

P.S. Things I'd like to accomplish: valve adjustment, and maybe a coolant change if there's time.

Any kind of  chips/snacks will be fine. I'm not sure about the types of drinks. Coffee doesn't take long to make if some would like to have some.

These things are normally scheduled to run from around 9am - 2pm.

for all my BSing, I really don't need anything in particular.  Coffee would be good with me.  we'll be too busy to snack much!  :)

The Pope said:
Hey Dave, bring that shock that you want to install. I've got the bolt modified and ready.

I won't have time cause I have the neutral switch to install.  but thanks a LOT for getting that bolt done for me!  Ron would be proud of you!!!  :beerchug:

Now if you had a unmodified bolt, you could go ahead and mount the shock and then just swap it out at the wrenching session.

Just a thought.  ;D

Bump!!!

This is still on for this Saturday.

If anyone needs any special tools that they do not have or can't bring with them, please post up what they are.

The Pope said:
Bump!!!

This is still on for this Saturday.

If anyone needs any special tools that they do not have or can't bring with them, please post up what they are.

you put in the order for rain, right?  :-X

WRAL says "partly cloudy and milder" with a high of 61.  Of course, what does Greg Fishel know...  They're wrong about 80% of the time. :)

Sport Rider said:
you put in the order for rain, right?  :-X

Only for the area between 5 miles west of Cary to 5 miles west of your house!!!!  :nananana:  :rotflmao:  :D

Been reading elsewhere that it's a good idea to sync your carbs after you adjust the valves.  If this sounds like a good idea, and y'all think there's time for this, *and* one of y'all has a carb sync tool, could you bring it? :)

Not on a Connie, man!  On my old Shadow, it would have been *cold*.  With a windscreen and a fairing and an engine that puts out lots of heat, it's a cake walk!

(Says the guy who's never ridden more than about 50 miles at a pop. :))

I don't recall if my address and phone number were in the thing you get when you sign up.  They must have been, but I don't recall...

PM me for my phone number.

That way, if you need directions or address or get lost or whatever, you can call me.

I have my GPS and the address is there.  I also have Pope's number, so I can reach out if needed.  expect to arrive aobut 930.  no later than 10.  if not there, send out a search party with hot coffee!  :beerchug:

Dave,
you're not the only one that will be bundled up in the morning. Forecast for my 8:00 departure in High Point is somewhere around 32/34 degrees. I may push that back a bit if my old bones object to the temp. I should roll in sometime between 9-10am. Going to keep work on my bike real simple, just front brake pad change. Might be a good idea to have an electric blanket ready!!
Everyone ride safe.
Buzzard

Wrench session is in the books. Had a great ride in and back.
Was nice to see some old friends and meet new connie riders in Cary. Many thanks for the opportunity to get together with other NC COG'ers.

Hope everyone makes it home safe.

Buzzard

I had a great time, gentlemen!  Thanks for coming out, and for your expert help!  Couldn't have done the valve adjustment without you!

Rick, I watcbed the Alaska video this morning at the lake.  What a great and inspiring trip!  Thanks for giving me a copy!

I tried to watch the video, but -- despite there being no scratches on it, that I can see -- my DVD player wouldn't play it past the 19 minute mark.  I even tried hitting "select scene" and moving to the next chapter, to no avail.  I enjoyed what I saw, though, and *Holy Cow* are there a lot of road-side bears in that part of the country!  This makes your willingness to camp that much more amazing to me! :eek:

Here are the photos of the event.

Attachments

• IMG_20131109_135719_587.jpg
    IMG_20131109_135719_587.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20131109_090755_904.jpg
    IMG_20131109_090755_904.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20131109_104128_000.jpg
    IMG_20131109_104128_000.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20131109_104142_478.jpg
    IMG_20131109_104142_478.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 95
and a few more....

Attachments

• IMG_20131109_104201_148.jpg
    IMG_20131109_104201_148.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20131109_104218_331.jpg
    IMG_20131109_104218_331.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 85
Sport Rider said:
Rick, I watcbed the Alaska video this morning at the lake.  What a great and inspiring trip!  Thanks for giving me a copy!

Glad you enjoyed it, Sport Rider!

Flivver - I'll get you a fresh copy as soon as we can get back together. I burned some more discs after the meet.

The Pope said:
Hey Dave! Did the oil issue get resolved?

Still TBD.  I'm not sure if I'm just buring off old oil or fresh.  I don't notice the smell when at a stop light so much, so it might be fixed.  I have to change tires this weekend, so will pull the plastics off and do some further checking to be sure.

Thanks Pope.  by the time I got home, my old mind was playing tricks on me as usual.  It was great to be able to visit with everyone!