• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Near miss

jdcjdcjd

Bicycle
A near miss today reminded me of the wisdom of always leaving a little headroom and not pushing the limit.  I was driving on a very twisty road with lots of 10-20mph curves.  (Lookout Mt. Rd in Golden CO for those who know)  I had a pushy sports car behind me and I was pushing a little harder than I might normally,  But, and this is key, I was not pushing it to the limit.  I rounded a blind sharp corner and right as I was leaned over pretty good, a bicycle came rounding the corner and a minivan was going around him and very much into my lane! Fortunately I had a bit more lean to go and as always was covering the brakes front and back (ABS), so I was able to barely miss the van.  A very white knuckle moment for me and probably the van driver too.  ALWAYS leave a little headroom just in case!

First off, let me say that I'm glad you came out OK.

My thoughts? Very smart and lucky as well. It could have been a disaster. That's exactly why I try not to be a peg dragger. I do ride very spirited at times but try not to push it to the limit that I'm dragging pegs. That little in reserve can be the difference between going home safely and maybe not. Besides, the right lines can actually make you run as fast or faster than some of the peg draggers, who (IMO) do not always take the best lines. Your example is the reason why I belive in riding like this. I Always try to keep a little in reserve. It may not always save you. But it sure can help!

These are situations where hopefully you learn something valuable. Absolutely leave yourself an out, be it more room to your sides or more lean potential. It either case you have to anticipate the worst case scenario BEFORE it happens. This gives you options. Also make sure the guy behind you is not dictating your style of riding.  Shinny side up!

JD Cunningham said:
  I had a pushy sports car behind me and I was pushing a little harder than I might normally, 
glad everything came out OK. anytime I have some putz on my rear I try to let him/her pass so I can go on enjoying my ride. :violent-smiley-007:
Hopefully one of these days I will catch up to them as a cop is handing them a ticket  :p

Glad it worked out too.  I try to drive what my eyes see.  If I can see I risk a bit more fun.  If I can not see around that corner then I back out to the point I feel I have options.

It is something that is forgotten or overlooked quite often but it is of utmost importance to give your noggin the room it needs.  A right or left turn can easily put your head into harms way.  You have to look out for any fixed objects that might be close to the roadway while turning right.  Oncoming vehicles on their own side of the roadway can get very close very quickly if your head is hanging over the double yellow. 

Another thing to remember, and practice, is that the throttle and countersteering can save you.

Case in point was the time I came around a long right hander in the left tire groove because of gravel on the right. A pick up coming the other way was in his lane, but his 30 foot plus horse trailer wasn't. I was already going pretty good, but the ONLY out was to feed in more throttle and countersteering. I pushed for all I was worth and rode away with dirty shorts. I'll never forget the eyes of the pickup driver - big as dinner plates.

And the times where you're cruising along on a nice set of curves and suddenly for no reason the rear end steps out mid-corner. More throttle and more countersteering will save you. I can't count those instances. Hwy 178 in California comes to mind - roll on the throttle, roll off, turn, repeat... for 20 miles or so. You don't even change gears. I've actually stopped and walked back to see if there was something on the road - nada.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you'll never know what will happen. You can ride "by your eyes" and try to leave yourself options, but your skill levels need to be up there where you can react to anything. And that takes practice outside your comfort zone.

Be safe out there.

Glad it worked out good, and is only a learning experience.

Braking is very often the cause of more trouble than the situation should be causing.

I don't peg drag, but my tires are scuffed all the way to the sidewall edge now. Thats because its a ZX14 and it will not drag the pegs unless it is low-siding, at which time the pegs will be breaking off.

But I don't usually ride it leaned that far. I can tell when it is, the outside of my boot touches down if I'm not literally on my toes (I don't bother usually, but should).

JPavlis_CA has it right.....

Even when leaned that far over, I still have the ability to move the bike over in the direction of the lean, and surely in the direction counter to it. But that requires MORE throttle, and more counter-steer, and rear brake, and NO front brake, or it will turn into a low-side. Have done it many times over four decades, because what our friend posted is not all that unusual a situation. Unfortunately.

Edge of envelope riding should be reserved for the track where you always know where that edge is. Out on the open road you only have control of so much. When chewing up those twisties we should ( I know most do) always expect the unexpected. This demands that we leave a margin for error. If you ride on the edge too often it's not a matter of if, it's when.

Some months ago I was riding down a straight 2 lane country road at night. About a half mile up ahead of me I saw a pair of headlights turn out onto the road and head in my direction "in my lane!"  Anyway, seeing he/she was content to stay in my lane as I got nearer I slowed way down and actually had to cross over into the opposite lane to let the (drunk Brit?) pass by me.  :-\    Very glad this wasn't on a curvy part of the road.

After re-reading this. I always wonder about the phrase, near miss. Shouldn't it really be called a near hit?  ;)

Cap'n Bob said:
After re-reading this. I always wonder about the phrase, near miss. Shouldn't it really be called a near hit?  ;)

Some people see a glass and say it is Half empty. Some see it and say it is Half-full?  I see a glass that is twice as big as it needs to be!  :)) George Carlin.

If you are the target then it is a near-miss.  :-\

Cap'n Bob said:
I tend to agree Bob.  A "near" miss would be an "almost" miss.... or a hit.  A near hit would be a miss... and an inch is as good as a mile, though it may cause more laundry issues.  :D

I know that road very well. It is busy, tight, and fun! We have common tastes in bikes. I have and '86 and '04 Connie, and a 2008 KLR650. We'll have to get together sometime. Are you on the KLR boards as well?

Ranger said:
Edge of envelope riding

Nice term but most things I get in an envelope these days are either junk mail or bills. But I guess that fits with what you end up with if you frequent that narrow edge.

I tried riding on the edge of an e-mail but that didn't work so well. ;)

Wow - quite the near miss, Jim. I'm looking forward to our ride on 7/16 - but let's not do any of that kind of riding!  ;D