• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

need backrest clamps

lotsogingrichs

Training Wheels
Hello out there. I bought a backrest for my 99 connie so my daughter (and wife for that matter) will feel a little more secure as we ride. But (it was used) there are no bottom clamps/bolts where it attaches to the mounting stud for the back hand grips. Hate to buy a new adapter bracket (about 100 bucks right?)  just for those pieces. Anybody know where or how I can find them?

I would go back to where you got it and ask for the complete rack. 
It may be possible to have some made but I do not have mine anymore to get you dimensions.

Thanks for checking. I have thought about having something machined, but the tolerances would have to be right on, or its probably safer not installing it. And since thats beyond my skill with pump pliers and a grinder, probably about the same to just find a complete assembly as pay a shop. Hoped somebody had bits and pieces left. Got a little too excited when I first bought it.  50 year old, still learning as you go.

Can you find pic of of what you are missing?  If its the part I am thinking off it would not be that difficult to machine them.

Saw a few of those replaced with U bolts. Those guys rode two up and they were very solid. Think you have to drill em out though as I believe they are tapped.

If you find the correct brackets or not it is still a good idea to add support brackets to the back of the rack down to the tail piece rack.  It is a weak design and needs the extra support for me to be happy anyway.

smithr-scad said:
If you find the correct brackets or not it is still a good idea to add support brackets to the back of the rack down to the tail piece rack.  It is a weak design and needs the extra support for me to be happy anyway.
Thanks for the heads up. I want my baby to be secure!