• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Need to let her go - '86 Concours for sale

new2concours

Big Wheel
Hi all,

It's been some years since I've posted.  The whole site changed.  I was looking for the classified section, but couldn't find it.  Sorry if this is being posted in the wrong area.  But I'm selling my Connie.  You all helped me back in '06 buy a sitter and fix it up into a solid daily commuter.  Thank you all.  But now I have a kid, too many close calls, and too many people I know taking fatal spills, I need to let her go.  The bike is once again a sitter.  So I'm selling my 1986 Concours.  If you know anyone who's looking for a great project, or a great source of parts, send them to me.  Below is what I posted in Inland Empire's Craigslist.

Thank you all once again for all the help over the years.  It's because of this forum that I chose the Concours.  Kawasaki owes you all a kick back.

Take care,
Dave

Craigslist Ad - Inland Empire (southern California)
1986 Kawasaki Concours. 

Just under 36K miles.

Please read everything before contacting me.  The description below is honest and complete.  Don't show up, and frown at the broken fairing, grumble that it's not running perfectly, then tell me you were expecting something "Turn Key."  (someone actually just did)  This is a great bike that needs a new owner that has the time to clean it up and care for it.  It's not going to win a beauty contest.  I'm not trying to be rude.  I just want to save you time coming down here if you are expecting something in perfect condition for $1000.  New bicycles are more than that.

Ran great, but has been sitting for a little while.  It needs a tune up.  The carbs need to be cleaned, gas switched out, and the valves adjusted.  Regular maintainance for a sitter.  I have an extra set of carbs I can give you if you want to clean those, then swap them out (notmally an extra $150).

I used it as a daily commuter for three years.  Then had a baby, and stopped riding.  Used rarely since then.  Prior to that I had changed all cables (throttle, and brake) installed new brakes, tires, front fork springs, rebuilt carbs, valve job, new adjustable brake and clutch levers, new grips, new valve gasket, air and fuel filters, and more.  Since, doing all that, three years have past, but only about another 2,000 miles were put on the bike.

The bike currently has a lowering link installed with a ZZR shock.  This lowers the bike 1.5 inches and gives it a little more relaxed ride. The lowering helps riders have a slightly lower center of gravity and be able to reach the ground.  The bike at original height is good for riders 5'10" and up.  The lowering link helps those 5'8" and up.  I do have the original link and original shock and they are both in good condition.  I can restore the bike to stock if you like, but then I will keep the lowering link and ZZR shock.  (link and shock used are usually about $300-450)

Also on the bike is the rear seat back rest.  This is an after market part that sells used for $150.  I was going to keep it and sell it separate.  But I'm lazy right now.  If you respond to this ad and buy the bike, and it's still on the bike, it's yours.

The fairings have some imperfections.  The previous owner was too short and dropped the bike while parked on both sides.  So there are some cracks.  I always say that if you are looking for a pristine, clean bike, don't bother with mine.  It looks great when you're riding it.  But parked, it's not going to win any contests.  This is a solid commuting bike that is a blast to ride.  It was designed as and still is one of the best bikes for going cross country.  If you are wanting more pitcures of the fairings to see what's broken, I can take some and send them to you.  But, if you are honestly concerned about that, then this probably isn't the bike for you.  I rode it with just the top fairing on and I liked it much better that way.  southern California temperatures don't need the full fairing.

Ask Concours owners and all of them will say the same thing about the engine and the bike's reliability... "It's bullet proof."  There is a forum for Concours owners you should look up if you are considering this bike ( concours.org ).  Tons of advise and help from other Concours owners.  They built the bike the same way for 20 years - 1986-2006.  So there are tons of parts and riders out there to help you with any aspect of it.

If it doesn't sell, I'll probably just part it out.  The aftermarket parts and extra carbs I listed above can get $750, and that's before taking the bike apart.  You can buy it and do that if you want.  I would, but as I said above, I'm lazy right now.  You can have it for $1000 and make a profit if you like, or keep it, clean it, and have a solid ride for years to come.

$1000 obo

three -one -zero - 351 - eight-eight-seven-6

She looks nice Dave.  Sorry you have to let her go, but she'll find a good home somewhere soon.