• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New '01 Hesitates @ Low RPM

roncours

Bicycle
I bought an '01 with <1500 miles on it. The guy (original owner) said he had run it occasionally to keep the juices flowing, but with so little mileage, who knows? Symptom: taking off from a start, or accelerating from low RPM anytime, the engine does a duuhhh-stutter-duuhhh-VROOM thing. It does NOT do this when revved out of gear; then it cranks up quickly & smoothly. Also, otherwise the engine runs very well & mileage is good. What I've done so far: Right after buying it I changed all fluids & cleaned & re-oiled the air filter. I adjusted the idle to get it where the manual (or was it Clymer?) said it should be. I have also run a few tanks of Seafoam or Berryman's B12 through it, although I am currently running a double dose as a friend suggested. It seems to me this should have done the trick by now if it were going to. So, before I dig in more deeply, synch carbs, etc., are there any other good ideas that might save me some trouble? Thanks! Ron

I had the exact same problem on my Katana 600 and a fresh set of spark plugs solved the problem... except they cost $6 apiece! Yours are only $1.99 so that would be my next step. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - it Euro Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr120

Ron, my guess is that with that low mileage on an '01 there is sure to be some crud in the carb passages. With all the dosage of Seafoam and Berryman you've run through, if there are some blockages the cleaner probably won't get through. If replacing the plugs as David suggests doesn't rectify the problem, you should pull the carb rack and disassemble them and give them a thorough cleaning. Another option is to install one of Steve in Sunny Florida's jet kits. This helps get rid of stumble around 2000-2500 RPM. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

I start getting a low rpm hesitation in mine right before it's time for a valve adjustment, wouldn't think that was your issue though with your mileage. Don't be scared of the carb synch, it's easy to do. I bought a couple of lengths of fuel line, hose clamps and connectors to connect my vacuum and fuel lines to the tank when I had it up on a stand to do mine, that and a Morgan Carbtune Pro made the whole process easy as pie. The spark plugs are so very easy to replace, I'd start there. I'd also check the air filter to see what kind of shape it's in while you're at it. Start easy and dig deeper as necessary. ::EDIT:: Guess I should've read your post twice before posting. I see you've done the air filter.

Carb sync is good.... but one thing I learned back in the days of Vo-Tech and engine tuning. Adjust the carbs LAST... so I would put in plugs first and see if it solved the problem. If not then... carb sync. I had a customer once who had a Suzuki GS550 (back in the early 80's). He bought a pipe and wanted the carbs rejetted so he could go fast(er). Ok I said... when was it last tuned up? The blank stare told me all I needed to know. His plugs were old, his points (remember those) needed to be cleaned, gapped and the timing set, then the air cleaner cleaned and oiled (K&N), and valves adjusted ($$$) and finally... we could sync the carbs and see where he was at with his jetting. I know you are not trying to avoid necessary work, but hopefully the story explains the principle. This bloke must have gotten the pipe from his buddy because his bike was running tired and poor, when a tune-up would have solved his problem. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - it Euro Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr120

Ron, I would go with carb sync THEN if that does not help you might have to remove and clean the carbs esp the low speed jets. With all the sitting the bike did there is going to be some crust in there. Do you know if or when any valve adjust has been done. Should have been done at 1000 miles or so. If not I would do it but I really think the issue is dirty jets from sitting.

And what about the Pilot Screws adjustment? They could be way off and they're relatively easy to check, at least with the right tool for screw #2.

Norm makes a good point. Was that all important first valve adjust done? With so few miles probably not. I would do that first and the carb sync and see where you are. BTW I have always had a very slight stumble at low rpm's on my '02. I've read that you can shim something in the carbs to get rid of it but have never messed with it. It's just not that big of a deal for me. Good luck. '02 Connie COG # 6662 Dallas, Tx

I hadn't considered that the initial adjustment hadn't been done. It's kind of a sad story really, buy a nice Concours built for sporty long distance riding, but 1.5k miles on it and then put it in a box and forget about it. Bless its little carbs. Valve adjust isn't too complixmicated, just takes common tools, common sense, refrigerated adult beverages (in reasonable abundance), good advice from your COG brethren who have passed that way before you, and patience. I think it would've been nice to have an actual COG brethren to pawn it off o... err... help me... when I did mine but there were none in close proximity. This electronic media stuff is pretty handy in a pinch though. Carb sync goes along with the valves and hopefully, all your probs will go away. If not, at least you'll know where you're going next.