• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New 190/55/17 vs. old 190/50/17

Nottacop

In case you wanted to see the difference in the two. Happy Riding!

Attachments

• B9F0D169-1DEE-4B24-B475-79EDF626F311.jpeg
    B9F0D169-1DEE-4B24-B475-79EDF626F311.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 189
Tall enough to start worrying about the traction control system. The guys told me it would be ok though. Yea, about 1/2” I’d say.

Great example. This is why so many are impressed with a 55 over a 50. They all feel the difference from a worn out 50 and a brand new 55.
When you raise the rear of any bike by the difference of those two tires your gonna say: Wow! The bike turns in so much better!" so the 55 must be better.
No, its just the big  change in ride height. You can do the same thing by adjusting the rear preload  higher and accomplish the same thing.

Maybe... crank in too much preload, you screw the sag...  ideally you had rear shock height adjustment, ala Penske, or other good shock.

rrsperry said:
Maybe... crank in too much preload, you screw the sag...  ideally you had rear shock height adjustment, ala Penske, or other good shock.

Exactly, people that think you can just turn up the preload have no clue how suspension works. Yes it will turn fast but be unridable due to it being so stiff every noock and cranny will bounce you off line.

Nottacop said:
Tall enough to start worrying about the traction control system. The guys told me it would be ok though. Yea, about 1/2” I’d say.

Nope, system self calibrates to the tires on it once you start riding

Dragunslayer said:
rrsperry said:

Exactly, people that think you can just turn up the preload have no clue how suspension works. Yes it will turn fast but be unridable due to it being so stiff every noock and cranny will bounce you off line.
That would be an incorrect statement.
Preload CANNOT make a spring more stiff or less stiff. Preload can only raise and lower the ride height or SAG setting.

Speaking of 50's vs 55's...
Does anyone have a rear-hugger, inner rear fender with a 190/55?
I'm curious if there is clearance, mounting a 55.

JDSCO said:
Speaking of 50's vs 55's...
Does anyone have a rear-hugger, inner rear fender with a 190/55?
I'm curious if there is clearance, mounting a 55.
I do and I did and it fits fine but obviously  I went back to and have stayed with  a 50 ever since trying the 55 but I had to have a pro set up my suspension and sag settings for me to get proper handling and turn in.. I run an Ohlins and AK20's

Nottacop said:
Do you have one of the 50 size? If so got a pic of it? That would be cool to have.

I don't know if you are directing this "50 size" question to me...

Murph's has Skidmarx Inner rear fender's on his website.

As to the question of Ride Height. While many have lowered the rear with longer shock links I went the other way and raised the rear 44mm by changing the links. Along with a 55 series tire the handling is now significantly lighter without any high speed degradation. I also run Ohlins front and rear.