• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New 2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Cap'n Bob

A new 1,000cc Versys for 2012! I don't really like adventure bikes. But I do like this one.  :)

A re-tuned Z1000 in-line 4. Kawasaki claimed 116.35 hp @ 9000rpm and 75.23 lb-ft @ 7700rpm, 527 lbs., ABS, traction control, 5.5 gallon fuel tank, and the console includes an analog tachometer and LCD with speedometer, a fuel gauge, odometer, clock, dual trip meters, current and average fuel consumption, remaining range, and an external air temperature readout.
I have to check this out. It might finally make me want an adventure bike. Well if I can get on it. I have that problem with probably all the adventure bikes. Being vertically challenged sucks!  :)

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/629/11501/Motorcycle-Article/2012-Kawasaki-Versys-1000-First-Look-.aspx

Very nice!  This certainly will compete in the adventure category!  Again, Kawasaki doing the industry one better by providing all the good stuff but cheaper than the high end motos.  This looks like it will draw some business from BMW GS series.  BTW was there a cost listed yet?

Nice bike. I might consider this instead of the C14 when I upgrade IF they made it longer front to back than the 650 Versys and the luggager works. The 650 one feels like a 10 speed bicycle to me compared to the V-Strom. Too short enough.

Of course, the way my C-10 feels has now got me spoiled and feels juuust right... But, I do like the high seat and wide bars on that other type of bike. If I could raise old Connie two inches at the seat and bars, I'd love it. I already have bar risers. Oh well.

Ok I'll be the voice of dissention here.

It’s a sweet looking bike for sure but a in-line four cylinder adventure bike?  For any semi-serious off-roading I would much prefer the torque characteristics of a twin, I don’t think BMW has anything to worry about with this offering

But how many truly take them off road. They are probably mostly used on dirt roads and across a field now and then. In reality, they are not meant to be an off road bike. Just part time. Torque would still be a nice thing across a field or such. But for the amount it will probably be used. I think an in-line four could work just fine if tuned for more lower end torque. Plus it would probably eat the twins for lunch the rest of the time where most of the time is spent, the road. Of course this is just my opinion.

wild man said:
Ok I'll be the voice of dissention here.

It’s a sweet looking bike for sure but a in-line four cylinder adventure bike?  For any semi-serious off-roading I would much prefer the torque characteristics of a twin, I don’t think BMW has anything to worry about with this offering.

I agree. Plus, the Beemer has a shaft. Even if the GS is more expensive it would be worth saving for IMO.

Dan

Cap'n Bob said:
But how many truly take them off road. They are probably mostly used on dirt roads and across a field now and then. In reality, they are not meant to be an off road bike. Just part time. Torque would still be a nice thing across a field or such. But for the amount it will probably be used. I think an in-line four could work just fine if tuned for more lower end torque. Plus it would probably eat the twins for lunch the rest of the time where most of the time is spent, the road. Of course this is just my opinion.

Bob, you'd be surprised what those twins will do.  I had the 650 version for a while.  it would outrun 600 supersports in the 0-60 category.  at that point the I4's high end HP catches up to the 650's better torque.  Same is true of my current 1000 twin.  I hold my own to the I4 guys till I get over 100.  My torque always takes them off the curve.  After having the 650, I always thought kawa needed to make the 1000 to compete with the VStrom.

Sport Rider said:
Cap'n Bob said:

Bob, you'd be surprised what those twins will do.  I had the 650 version for a while.  it would outrun 600 supersports in the 0-60 category.  at that point the I4's high end HP catches up to the 650's better torque.  Same is true of my current 1000 twin.  I hold my own to the I4 guys till I get over 100.  My torque always takes them off the curve.  After having the 650, I always thought kawa needed to make the 1000 to compete with the VStrom.

I actually thing the smaller, lighter bike would be better off road. But I do see the merit of your on road thoughts. I still think the 1000 inline would smoke the v twins on the road though. But like most bikes, it depends on the riders more than anything.

True enough, and in the grand scheme, it certainly would.  The 650 Versys seems like more than enough bike for off-road and frankly, I think the 1000 is too large for that too.  I happen to be a bit of a twin biggot, so I like the power characteristics of them for most general street riding.  In the end though, an i-4 always wins out when pushed far enough.  :)

I like the bike, but it does not look too adventure to me. With lowered, normal suspension it woudl be amazing.  Oh wait, they have that already in the Ninja.  Still, the riding position looks comfortable.  I cannot imagien going offroad with most of the so called "adventure" bikes anyway.

I test rode a 2010 Versys 650 and I thought that it could use some more power.  I think they are going after a share of the Multistrada market not the BMW GS.  Just my two cents.

My question is, what is the expected mpg?  The beemer F650 GS will get over 60 mpg, can it compete in this arena?  As for other thoughts, I agree, lighter is better.  If you have ridden very much dirt, you quickly figure out that weight is the major item to consider as you have to control it.  Also also agree that most of these never really see true dirt, just an occasional run down a logging trail at best.  Where is the compromise point?

As for an inline four, I had a 84 CB 700 SC NightHawk that I sold, but I'd have preferred to have altered it to off-road.  Why, just the sound of a four cylinder inline going through the woods causes my blood pressure to rise greatly.  Just the sound of that engine got me in trouble often, had to wind it out, and to do that you are quickly in excess of the posted speed limit.

So, I see this as a positive move, however it comes out.  Would I buy one, time will tell.  Right now, I'm still looking.

More good points for sure, weight, and MPG or range is something else to consider.

When I think adventure touring I know I'm not going to tackle the same roads I do on my ATK, it just isn’t going to happen.  However I will want to connect roadways with jeep trails that can sometimes be a little challenging (colorado).  Flogging around 500 lbs before fuel isn’t going to cut it, it’s just too much weight to pick up especially repeatedly, 350 to 400 would be about my max.  Sometimes trails can be as slow 5 mph, even the simple ones, so then there’s the issue of overheating, something that could easily happen with a partially clogged radiator that’s trying to cool a 100 hp engine. Range is important as well.  If I keep my ATK in the pilot circuit (jetted at 4K) I can achieve easily 120 mile range.  Hopefully the Versa is fuel injected but I'm thinking under similar circumstances it'll be 20 to 30 mpg.  That means a 5 gallon tank and more weight on top.  In-lines power bands are generally a little more explosive than twins or singles so you’re at a disadvantage in terms of tractability, regrardless of tire selection, a cross plane crank might be an interesting approach though.  So I thinking this machine would be limitied to only the smoothest of dirt roads. A DR 650/XR 650 would be more of my cup of tea

The Kawi salesman at the bike show last weekend insisted the Ver1K was a Europe only bike, and that the US won't see it anytime soon.

I love well informed salesmen.

I haven't ridden a Versys, but I had a Ninja 650r for over a year w/12k miles logged on it.  That motor pulls harder than my C14 at low RPM (yes I have the flies still in) and winds out pretty strong. 

From reviews of the Z1000 and the Ninja1000 it seems that this I4 has loads of Torque down low.  And it looks like it may have been detuned to up the low end.  Maybe viable off road, but the gas mileage would probably be an issue.  2 more cylinders = more gas.

I know a lot of people are attracted by the "adventure bike" thing, but I think the reality is that there are a LOT of middle-aged riders who just aren't comfortable with the cruiser lean-back or the sport-bike crunch-over ergos.  I suppose the manufacturers aren't comfortable with the term "standard bike", so they use the "adventure" label to make it a seller.  Everyone who rides my Wee-Strom comments that they like the upright position and wish there was a better slection of standard bikes.  As others have commented, this thing will lilely spend 99.78% of its time on the road as a commuter or an adventure-tourer, just like the V-stroms and others. 

cdc120 said:
I read on Cycle World that the MSRP is 7499.00.

THAT would get some attention!

I have a Vstrom 1000 and love it and the big torque. The smaller 650 version gets way better mileage, but otherwise is pretty much the same. I wish they just made one version in the 850 area which would be a nice compromise on power vs mileage.

Interesting bike. I guess if you categorized dual sport/adventure bikes on a bell shaped curve, this would be more (way more?) on the street side. This bike was a big hit at the recent NEC bike show in Birmingham, England and it had plenty of company. Apparently this is the fastest growing motorcycle segment.......everywhere except in the U.S. I guess.

I think the $7499 mention by cdc120 in a prior post is the current Versys model, not the 1000.

While shopping for the Connie, I looked long and hard and many times at the V-Stroms because of the seating position for my height and leg length. I've looked at them since and they still feel good. I finally decided the best buy for the buck was the Connie. Funny how "standard bike" doesn't sell as "sexy." Maybe "next time."