• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New 2013 FJR1300

brooke.benfield

Hi Folks;

On August 4, 2013 I went to a local dealer to test ride the Concours1400 and FJR1300 with the plan being to buy the Kawasaki but ride the Yamaha just to be fair. The short version of that story is that on the following Wednesday I picked up my new FJR. I just liked it a little better than the Concours and by that I do mean a little.

More importantly, the dealer had only 1 Concours1400 left and wasn't going to deal whereas they had 4 FJRs and sold me mine for around $1500.00 less than they would've a Concours. Also, the FJR runs on regular grade fuel and is easier to work on. So those things tipped me in favor of my first Yamaha.

I rode it out to the National Rally in Idaho Falls, ID and had a good time until.......Friday morning, August 30. I was in Teton National Park stopping every 50' to take photos like some crazed tourist, and at one particular stopping point the bike rolled off the side stand and crunched over onto the left side. I jumped up and down a whole bunch while cursing at maximum volume and them spent the next 5 minutes dodging lightning bolts hurled by the Almighty while claiming I didn't mean any of what I said (yeah, right). To make matters worse and it's embarassin' to admit to, but, I couldn't pick the bike up by myself because it would roll when the tires touched the pavement. I tried reaching under the bike to put the transmission into 1st gear but somehow failed to succeed. Luckily a guy on a Honda VFR1200 saw my plight and stopped to help. Thanks again dude!!

Anyway, the all cosmetic damage amounts to $3900.00 - thank goodness for insurance. I rode another 200+ miles that day and around 700 the next so there's certainly nothing important wrong.

The dealer has had the bike for basically a month and promised me yesterday they will be done with it this coming Friday. I'll be able to swing picking it up on Saturday and am soooo looking forward to that because we've had incredible weather through the last couple of weeks and I've been missing my 2-wheeled girlfriend.

So far I have to say the bike has performed extremely well - it's not the fault of the bike I didn't fully engage the sidestand. The fuel economy has been stellar, the power is quite a step up from the C10 I traded for it and the comfort in the hot weather has been great. I did have a chance to experience severe wet/windy weather while on my way to the National Rally and missed the bigger fairing of the C10 but that's about the only drawback I've found so far.

You realize that thing only has a 5-speed transmission, right?

:s_laugh:

Glad you're enjoying the ST ride no matter what it is!    :great:

Sport Rider said:

More typical ignorance that is again unnecessary. Instead of being happy for the poster, you instead have to be a jack azz.  ::) 

So, does the  OP qualify for a CDA (Cycle Dropper's Anonymous) award? >:D

ron203 said:
So, does the  OP qualify for a CDA (Cycle Dropper's Anonymous) award? >:D

Good question. Since the only thing that seems to matter with the CDA awards any more is that you're a paid member. I'm sure it's good even though it's not actually a Connie.  :))

On the subject of Yamaha Fjr's, there's a great write up in the latest Motorcyclist about modifications to improve the 2013 and older models.  One of the big improvements is suspension mods, Penske shock and Traxxion fork kit.  Its supposed to put the sport back in the bike with better ground clearance.  Other mods covered too.  Check it out.  Mark

The Sunday morning guys I rode with a few times this summer include three FJR's.  The leader rides one and I am sure there is no way I can keep up - but he also is a long time track guy, so he could out ride me on anything likely.  One of them is past 250K miles!!!  Don't have the skinny on what is original and what is not, but every mention seems like it is a legit high miler.

Enjoy the bike.  From the sporty guys I have seen ride to the solid representation at the super duper iron butt competition, they seem to be an all around highly respected ride.

Brooke, congrats on the new bike!
I have benn 'thinking' of going to the FJR for 10 yrs, LOL
The torque is awesome just on two test rides.

Cap'n Bob said:
Sport Rider said:

More typical ignorance that is again unnecessary. Instead of being happy for the poster, you instead have to be a jack azz.  ::)

Sorry to the OP...it was just a poor attempt at humor because that's always the claim by those who want to dis the FJR.  It was funny at the time I posted it.  ;)

Ouch....sorry to hear about the drop, and it sure sounds expensive! I'm pretty sure I ogled your bike in Idaho, but did not meet you. I was there on my shiny new to me 03 FJR. I'm lovin it :)

Hi Guys;

Huh?!?!? 5 speeds?!?! Oh no, I'll have to get rid of it, I guess.  :))  No offense taken.

Dano, good to hear your electronic voice. Speaking of torque, there's a steep hill in a residential area just east of where I work and sometimes I'll go home that way. One day, I was stuck behind a car going up that hill in 1st gear @ 25 MPH (4000 RPM) so I decided to play a little after firming up my grip on the bars. When I tweaked the throttle the instant hit of acceleration opened up my hands quite a bit and I thought I was prepared for it. Holy Cow, let's just say it got my attention.

Sparkie, I'll look into the mods you are talking about after I get some decent miles on it. I'm only @ 3400 right now and as ch...ch..ch..frugal as I am, I'll want the OEM stuff to have some wear on it. I had done some looking around for a deal like a Guhl reflash but came up empty.

Hey, I thought a CDA was only a Connie Droppers Anonymous deal so I wouldn't qualify even though being a paid member. Perhaps my now notorious skill at parking my bike will fade with time....naw, I can depend on my friends to keep me humble there.  :) I do think my FJR is more prone to rolling off the sidestand than the C10 was. It seems to not as positively lock in the deployed or retracted position even though there's a spring to help that happen. I'll just have to be smarter in the future and make it a habit to park the bike in gear.

2Fast, the salesman I worked with on the deal told me he and his wife both used to have early FJRs and claimed something like 48 MPG @ 85 MPH with the bags and 53 MPG without between the two bikes on the same day (falling with a tailwind?). While mine is good I don't think it will ever be that good. What's yours like?

Alekkas, I've also heard good things about the FJR and Iron Butt competition. I'll probably have better luck in the Iron Skull category than Iron Butt.  :)

Hey, Brooke, glad you're good humored. I personally never want the CDA of ANY kind. ;) But to tell the truth, I've been following the FJR related threads for some time with great interest.

While I like the C-14 a lot, some of the tech associated with it and the apparent (routine) maintenance difficulty for someone like me, I wrench on the C-10, does make me a reluctant upgrade prospect to the C-14.

I have looked at lots of bikes, same as before I bought the C-10, and the FJR keeps appearing to be the logical next step for me if the new V-Strom doesn't get me. One more year of supporting the progeny in school and I'm hoping for much improved cash flow! :)

You are not the only one who thought it was in good humor  ;D

People need to get a stiffer upper lip or something. Besides, this is a Concours forum after all so it is only fitting that the only Japanese competitor gets a few swipes now and then. I am sure they are doing the same thing on the Feejer sites.

And this is nothing- wait until someone posts about getting a Hardley- then watch the 'stuff' fly.  :rotflmao:

Brian

Sport Rider said:
Sorry to the OP...it was just a poor attempt at humor because that's always the claim by those who want to dis the FJR.  It was funny at the time I posted it.  ;)

Hi ron203, I get you on the progeny in school deal. My youngest just finished his undergraduate degree and the other one looks to be able to swing it more or less on his own. I had ridden only C10s since 1994 so it was time for a change - I had my 2nd C10 for 12.5 years and roughly 105K, was bored and just didn't want to tinker around with it anymore.

Hi BDF, the venerable Rich Reed from WA state had once proclaimed that he wouldn't ever get a Hardley until pigs fly. This was, IIRC, back in the day when many of us used micapeak.com to communicate. Somebody posted something like this; "What's that I hear??? (etc, etc)". Apparently pigs do fly because Rich had bought a Hardley. Lots of fun.

A more serious note about the 5 speed transmission. I on rare occasions wish for another gear. It's not about gear spacing since there's a lot of power everywhere and it's plenty smooth. I just think it revs a little higher than it needs to when in top gear which limits top speed - something that could be changed with another gear. Of course, the gearing being what it is does contribute to the very strong roll-on acceleration and I wouldn't want that to go away, so all in all, 5 speeds are not a deal breaker.

Congratulations on the new FJR.  Is a great motorcycle.  Sorry to hear about your incident.  If it makes you feel a little better, I have dropped a couple of bikes myself.

I don't understand why dealers keep the motorcycle for so long.  For a simple drop I would think he could order all the parts and then have you drop off the FJR when he has the parts and someone to start working on it.

Brooke_Benfield_OR said:
A more serious note about the 5 speed transmission. I on rare occasions wish for another gear. It's not about gear spacing since there's a lot of power everywhere and it's plenty smooth. I just think it revs a little higher than it needs to when in top gear which limits top speed - something that could be changed with another gear. Of course, the gearing being what it is does contribute to the very strong roll-on acceleration and I wouldn't want that to go away, so all in all, 5 speeds are not a deal breaker.

A funny 5 gear story.  The Sunday morning guy with the 250K miler, added a speed triple to his stable.  In a very rare moment, we bursted at high speeds on a straight away.  I mean the speed triple exhaust sounds great and all, but I was rolling all up on him with my C10.  Not too close, of course, but wondering where that Trumpet blast was.  What gives?  At the next stop sign I could see his embarrassed smile through his full faced helmet as he was yelling, " I forgot this one has 6 gears!" 
  :great:

I for one have never, ever believed the oft- stated rumor that Yamaha stuck to five gears because their customers were.... how shall I say this..... better equipped to deal with that number rather than six.

<duckin', grinnin' and runnin'>

For what it is worth: the BMW 1200 and 1300 GT series had six speed gearboxes but the overall gearing ratio of the entire drivetrain was so low as to make the engine really sing, even at modest highway speeds, even in sixth gear. A beautiful bike IMO, and not really annoying even with the fast turning engine, and it was pretty quick when the throttle was turned. I don't know how it would be after hours of droning on the highway although quite a few of them were (and still are) being ridden in IBA events so they cannot be awful.

Brian

Brian

Alekkas said:
A funny 5 gear story.  The Sunday morning guy with the 250K miler, added a speed triple to his stable.  In a very rare moment, we bursted at high speeds on a straight away.  I mean the speed triple exhaust sounds great and all, but I was rolling all up on him with my C10.  Not too close, of course, but wondering where that Trumpet blast was.  What gives?  At the next stop sign I could see his embarrassed smile through his full faced helmet as he was yelling, " I forgot this one has 6 gears!" 
  :great:

JJFLASH said:
Congratulations on the new FJR.  Is a great motorcycle.  Sorry to hear about your incident.  If it makes you feel a little better, I have dropped a couple of bikes myself.

I don't understand why dealers keep the motorcycle for so long.  For a simple drop I would think he could order all the parts and then have you drop off the FJR when he has the parts and someone to start working on it.

Hi JJFLASH, they had a part or two on backorder - at least that's the story and I don't have any real reason to not believe them.

Ah HA! Now I know just who was responsible for that storm! It was quite the show and it got me wet.

Congrats on the new bike!
I too went that way a few years back and the first Farkle was a set of frame sliders.
They've been all paid for since then.  ::)

PatM said:
Congrats on the new bike!
I too went that way a few years back and the first Farkle was a set of frame sliders.
They've been all paid for since then.  ::)

Well, I discovered (after digging around quite a bit) that no dealer in California is going to have an "ES" model before February or March. And there are only going to be a few to go around and nobody is going to consider anything less than full retail for one.

So, I punted and put a deposit down on a 2014 FJR1300A. This is the exact same model as the 2013A except for the color (red, of course). I worked a deal with the Yamaha dealer closest to us here in Ukiah (I had e-mailed 15 dealers within a 120 mile radius).

I should be able to pick it up next Saturday.

Dan

Way to go Dan! I just showed that post to my wife and said, "that's my "new" bike." She said, "uh huh...." :rotflmao:

Cap'n Bob said:
You might be better off Dan. The 2014 has more upgrades yet.

Sorry Dan, I misread this a now see you are purchasing the A and not the ES with the newer upgrades.  :-[  Still a great bike though, good luck with it.

Cap'n Bob said:
You might be better off Dan. The 2014 has more upgrades yet.

Yeah, the "ES" would be cool (USD forks come with it) but It's not on my "gotta have it" list. The sophistication of the suspension on the "A" is far better than what I've got now so it is a net improvement.

Having factory cruise, standard heated grips, dual high intensity headlights, gigantic gobs of HP and torque, electric windshield, digital panel, lack of Kipass, lack of TPMS, etc., etc. is a nice list of goodies.

It's also only 639 pounds wet (full fuel and liquids). That is impressive. Least expensive of the three in class (ST1300, C14, FJR1300) doesn't hurt either.

Dan

Yeah hopefully you'll love it. Although mine didn't come with the cool stuff like the factory CC, TC and heated grip. I am still very happy with the FJR as a whole. I have to admit the 2013 with the upgrades and still a better suspension that the Gen I& II, did/does have me thinking about a new one. Although the amount of riding I have been doing as of late, keeps me at bay. I kind of jealous. And I like the color. Good luck with her (when she comes in) :great: 

I recall Yamaha claiming 637 lbs for the 2013 49 state version and 639 lbs for the California version.

Motorcyclist magazine weighed in their 2013 test bike at 668 lbs which is not a whole lot lighter than a C10 (the 1993 C10 weighed 676 lbs according to Cycleworld when they did a big ST shootout that year). Multiplying 6.2 lbs/gallon * 6.6 gallons (rated capacity of the FJR fuel tank) and you get 40.92 lbs. Adding that to Yamahas claim of either 639 or 637 yields more weight than what Motorcyclist measured. Confusing. What's so wrong with the truth?

Anyway, they sure do have good power and weighing what they do, they'd better have it.

Hopefully you will enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

Welcome to Feejerdom Dan! We about have enough FJR riders to start a forum section for em :)

Brooke_Benfield_OR said:
I recall Yamaha claiming 637 lbs for the 2013 49 state version and 639 lbs for the California version.

Motorcyclist magazine weighed in their 2013 test bike at 668 lbs which is not a whole lot lighter than a C10 (the 1993 C10 weighed 676 lbs according to Cycleworld when they did a big ST shootout that year). Multiplying 6.2 lbs/gallon * 6.6 gallons (rated capacity of the FJR fuel tank) and you get 40.92 lbs. Adding that to Yamahas claim of either 639 or 637 yields more weight than what Motorcyclist measured. Confusing. What's so wrong with the truth?

Anyway, they sure do have good power and weighing what they do, they'd better have it.

Yeah, the 639 lbs. they claim is with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant and a full tank of fuel. But, it is somewhere in the "mid" 600s which is fine with me. The "wheaties quotient" will handle it well.

Dan

2Fast said:
Welcome to Feejerdom Dan! We about have enough FJR riders to start a forum section for em :)

Yeah, no kidding. A lot more Feejer pilots than ST1300 I see.

Is it Friday yet?

Dan

Congrats Dan on the new bike.  They certainly look good to me too.  The linked brakes on the C14 and heavier weight make it not  so good for me.  That factory cruise should be great also.  I'll be interested to hear more after you get it.  :beerchug:  Mark

Sparkie said:
Congrats Dan on the new bike.  They certainly look good to me too.  The linked brakes on the C14 and heavier weight make it not  so good for me.  That factory cruise should be great also.  I'll be interested to hear more after you get it.  :beerchug:  Mark

Thanks! I just talked to the dealer on the bike (in the crate) is on the truck and should be delivered sometime today or tomorrow. I pick it up on Saturday and will spend the weekend getting acquainted. I will post a "first impressions" report (+ pictures)...

Dan

GF-in-CA said:
Sounds great Dan!  What are you planning on doing with the ZGRX?

I haven't really decided yet. I don't need two motorcycles unless my wife prefers to travel on the Concours, but we don't ride together that often anyway. We are going for a short shake-down ride to Calistoga this weekend (probably Sunday since Saturday will be spent getting up to speed on the new bike).

I'll probably put it up for sale when the riding weather improves (it sucks trying to sell used bikes in the winter).

Dan

Bergmen said:
GF-in-CA said:
Sounds great Dan!  What are you planning on doing with the ZGRX?

I haven't really decided yet. I don't need two motorcycles unless my wife prefers to travel on the Concours, but we don't ride together that often anyway. We are going for a short shake-down ride to Calistoga this weekend (probably Sunday since Saturday will be spent getting up to speed on the new bike).

I'll probably put it up for sale when the riding weather improves (it sucks trying to sell used bikes in the winter).

Dan

I hear you, I know once I decide to get something else I won't have the inclination to keep mine.  So far I've resisted all temptation to move on.  I rode a C14 a couple weeks ago and was happy to find out I wasn't jonesing for one afterward.  :)  I'm still liking mine a lot  :great:

Have fun, I'm interested in your ride report.

The dealer called this afternoon and told me the bike is there and nearly finished with prep. I'm taking the day off tomorrow and my son will be here at 8:30 in the morning to drive me over to the dealer to pick it up (about a 45 minute drive). Luckily, I went to the bank this morning to get the cashiers check all ready so I'm good to go.

Riding gear is in the truck and it's full of gas. Weather looks good (partly cloudy) and a little on the cool side (mid-40s to low 50s).

The only problem now is trying to sleep tonight...

Dan

Bergmen said:
The dealer called this afternoon and told me the bike is there and nearly finished with prep. I'm taking the day off tomorrow and my son will be here at 8:30 in the morning to drive me over to the dealer to pick it up (about a 45 minute drive). Luckily, I went to the bank this morning to get the cashiers check all ready so I'm good to go.

Riding gear is in the truck and it's full of gas. Weather looks good (partly cloudy) and a little on the cool side (mid-40s to low 50s).

Dan

>:D

Just wait till you ride that sucka home.  :)  You may not get to sleep again w/ that big ass GRIN on your face.

(my son drove me to get my '03 FJR, and I let him ride it part-way home. He's ready to buy one too.)

Roger Dodger said:

Just wait till you ride that sucka home.  :)  You may not get to sleep again w/ that big a** GRIN on your face.

(my son drove me to get my '03 FJR, and I let him ride it part-way home. He's ready to buy one too.)

Yeah, that was going to be my plan if we were going to get it on Saturday (which was the original schedule). My wife and I were going to head over in the pickup with my son on his Honda CB1000C following us. We were going to ride back together and I was going to surprise him by stopping half way and trading with him. He would have gotten a real kick out of it.

BUT, things changed and we're doing this a day earlier. My wife has to work, Steven is coming down this morning and we're going over in the pickup. He has to jet back and go to work early (he works swing) so he is basically just going to drop me off. I will miss the ritual (it's tradition to share your new motorcycle with those close to you) but I get an extra day to get acquainted.

I can live with that.

Dan

Cap'n Bob said:
Very cool Dan. I'm really happy for you. I'm awaiting your first thoughts on it.  :great:

10-4, I'll report with pictures and first impressions when I come up for air...

Dan

Well, I just got home from a fantastic 45 minute initiation ride (through the country) and words escape me at the moment. This is a stunning motorcycle in all respects (although bear in mind this is just the first little impression). The color is spectacular, deep candy red, really beautiful especially in the sun. Here are a few pics:

We rolled it out in the sun so I could do a walk-around and inspect:

The camera is not capturing the color accurately, it looks a bit "orange" here. It is not, it is a deep metalic candy red.

I'm going through the various screens here and checking out the initial settings (and making a few changes). That is Travis standing to the side, the salesman I worked with. Top notch prefessional in every way, a great guy to do business with:

Getting ready to pull out and head home:

A little bit better picture of the color:

Initial impressions: This bike is butter smooth although I only cruised at 60mph most of the way with short jaunts on the freeway at 70mph. RPM @ 70mph in 5th is about 3,800, not much different than the ZGRX (which is about 3,500). Cruise control works perfectly, easy to use. The grip heaters also work nice although I only dinked around with them just a little bit. Rock solid chassis, handles like it is on rails although I was pretty subdued on the ride home (obviously).

The initial suspension setup is a bit stiff. I don't know where it is but I'll check it out (dealer didn't know what starting setup was). The bars seem a bit low and forward, my lower arms started to feel it after 1/2 hour or so. These are adjustable, I'll check into it. D-Mode is really cool. I started out in "T" mode (Touring) so it would be less abrupt on low speed throttle use. I had to transition through downtown (what there is of downtown) Lakeport before getting on the freeway. Very easy and no surprises. Once on the freeway I shifted to "S" mode (Sport) and tested throttle response. There is a definite difference, very responsive when you jump on it, much softer in "T" mode. I believe (at least initially) I will use "T" mode around town and in low speed maneuvering, pop to "S" mode when I get on the freeway (and other roads that can benefit from aggressive throttle response).

Windshield all the way up is surprisingly quiet and comfortable (I had heard complaints of annoying buffeting and noise). Part of this (I'm sure) is my magnificent new Shoei RF1100 helmet which is an absolute joy in comfort and quietness. I had some fun buzzing it up and down. I'm going to like this (I didn't think I would).

So the rest of today is fiddling around and adjusting and setting things with many test rides in between. Oh the horror! Tomorrow much the same. Then on Sunday, my wife and I are going on a shakedown ride to Calistoga which is an idyllic one hour ride through the vineyards, just beautiful.

So that's it for now, I'm heading out to the garage to play...

Dan

I try not to be jealous but in this case I just can't avoid it.  Veerrry nice new ride.

What kind of engine are you going to put in it??

Jeff Beecher came over for Vet's Day lunch at Applebees (THKS AB'S!)
He rode over on his new to him 2013 FJR.
After 303k mi on his '01 C10. YES 303k mi!

Nosmo said:
I try not to be jealous but in this case I just can't avoid it.  Veerrry nice new ride.

What kind of engine are you going to put in it??

Heh, heh, heh. Obviously my reputation precedes me (which in this case is not a bad thing). I won't be able to leave this thing alone as far as "Bergmenizing" for sure but it is likely to be minor (famous last words).

Stay tuned...

Dan

Sport Rider said:
Nosmo said:
.....What kind of engine are you going to put in it??

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I'll see your three rotflmaos and raise you three more.  :D
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Well, I put over 200 miles on it blasting around the area. Mostly to get acquainted but also to make fine adjustments to the controls (clutch/brake levers lowered, shift/rear brake pedals lowered as well, handlebars moved to the most rearward position). I also tested the brakes (not to the point of the ABS kicking in but as close as I could get).

I also experimented with suspension settings (compression and rebound damping as well as spring preload on the front, spring preload and compression damping on the rear) and found that at least for now, I like the softest on everything.

The handlebar position will need work. They need to be raised a bit and angled back. I found an outfit in Germany that makes a nice adaptor that does both. I also want to get canyon cages and bag protectors from MC Enterprises as well as clear tank and saddlebag surface protectors from someplace like Tankslapper. I will need a rear rack also.

These mods are only to enhance a truly magnificent motorcycle. What I have experienced so far is a rock solid, planted, rides on rails sure footed super handling motorcycle. The brakes are difficult to describe, they are super-strong with near perfect feed-back. It has what is called "Unified Braking" with one of the front pistons on each side activated by the rear brake. If I didn't know this I would never guess by the actions of the brakes, it is invisible. The power is indescribably breathtaking. I have been working on polishing the rings, pistons and cylinders in a ruthless fashion since this is how I break engines in (no sustained high rpms but strong acceleration up to 2/3 or 3/4 of redline). I made one blast on the freeway (in "S" mode) from 70mph, whacked it WFO and was at 116mph in seconds. It felt like I was shot from a cannon, no kidding. And this was in fifth. Downshifting is a complete waste of time. BTW, I am following the exact break-in protocol in the manual. It does not recommend an rpm limit, just to avoid prolonged operations above 4500 rpm for the first 600 miles, 5400 rpm from there to 1,000 miles and to not go into the red zone.

I'm thinking it will be easier to win the Powerball Lottery than avoid a ticket in the next month. The CHP watch the best sections of the 101 freeway for acceleration tests like hawks, I'll really have to be careful.

The stock windshield in the highest position is really comfortable. I had read that there is uncomfortable buffeting and noise but it is very quiet, I like it. I thought I would have to order the touring windshield from Yamaha (4" higher and 1/2" wider on each side) but so far I'll stay with this for the time being. Seat is solid but very comfortable.

I'll need to take this on longer jaunts to test longer term comfort. I want to move the handlebars to make a good test but having the cruise control allows much more comfort since I can sit back on the straightaways.

Also, this motorcycle is very quiet. Neither myself or my wife while riding on the back can hear any real exhaust noise. There is a very pretty harmonious gear whine that is all we hear, especially when pulling away in first gear.

The D-Mode (drive mode) is really cool. It has two modes "T" for Tour Mode and "S" for Sport Mode. Different acceleration ramps, softer for "T" mode and immediate for "S" mode. I can see advantages with "T" mode for rainy conditions, in traffic and when my wife is on the back so I don't startle her by a sudden move of the throttle. "S" mode for everything else.

The digital dash is cool. Small and understated but full of information at your fingertips. There is a menu button on the left handlebar plus an up/down rocker. It is very intuitive, even when first starting out, to move through the screens. Also, one can custom arrange the information to three seperate display sets so you don't have to page through to find what you normally want to see. I haven't done that yet but that is pretty cool.

So that is the initial report, so far very fun!

Dan

Glad to hear you like the bike Dan!  SW Motech makes a nice rear rack, the Motorcycle Larry riser plate is about as good as you can get for relocating the bars.  And with a gear box as good as the FJR's, who needs a 6th gear, right!!

Moto2wheelin said:
Glad to hear you like the bike Dan!  SW Motech makes a nice rear rack, the Motorcycle Larry riser plate is about as good as you can get for relocating the bars.  And with a gear box as good as the FJR's, who needs a 6th gear, right!!

Very true. 3,800rpm @ 70mph, I cannot complain. Also, the ability to hammer the throttle and zoom out of sight without downshifting, who could ask for anything better than that? The number of gears you have has nothing to do with performance, it all boils down to the torque band and how it is put to the road. And it is being put to the road just fine with this monster.

Dan

Nice.  You're obviously enjoying it. I'm sure that will continue for many years to come.  Congratulations!

Nice review Dan.  One of the complaints with the older FJR was the suspension was too soft and the bike had reduced cornering clearance.  It sounds like they have addressed that issue by what you're finding.

I'm also glad to hear that the braking system does not feel linked or act in a strange way like the C14 does.  That's a biggie for me as when I rode the C14 I did not like how it braked at all.

I know the bike would have plenty of power for me, as I ride the C10 still.  That's not even an issue but it's nice to hear how much torque it has. 

Looking forward to hearing more as you get more time on it.  Enjoy.  Mark    :)

Nice update Dan, I believe 'the assimalation has begun' from the C10 to The Next Generation of ST. Whether you choose the C14 or FJR is moot... but FI, 17" wheels, movable screen, solid suspension, and GOBS of power @ will.... I have not quit smiling from my first FJR ride.

You might benefit from risers in order to play master Yoda better. (I did). Then you might update the screen since you are sitting taller. (CalSci)

Glad you can follow break-in rules AND do WOT!!! What a wonderful world we live in!!!  :beerchug:

Keep up the updates, as we all need more teasing(info) from CA when the weather turns to crap. (high of 20 this weekend)

Roger Dodger said:
Nice update Dan, I believe 'the assimalation has begun' from the C10 to The Next Generation of ST. Whether you choose the C14 or FJR is moot... but FI, 17" wheels, movable screen, solid suspension, and GOBS of power @ will.... I have not quit smiling from my first FJR ride.

You might benefit from risers in order to play master Yoda better. (I did). Then you might update the screen since you are sitting taller. (CalSci)

Glad you can follow break-in rules AND do WOT!!! What a wonderful world we live in!!!  :beerchug:

Keep up the updates, as we all need more teasing(info) from CA when the weather turns to crap. (high of 20 this weekend)

I'm building a list of farkles but at the top is going to be a set of canyon cages and bag bars from MC Enterprises. Here is apicture of another 2014 with the canyon cages installed (nice clean installation):

I don't want to risk an expensive tip-over while I'm going through the tenderfoot stage.

Hey Brooke, I'm sorry I completely hijacked your thread, I should have started one of my own.

Dan

Brooke,
  Still smiling brother?
    Year after year I still am 'thinking obout the FJR
    2014?

Brooke_Benfield_OR said:

Hi Dano, Yup!! I'm still smiling - so much so that I just had to ride to work today. The thermometer on the back porch claimed 28° this morning but the bike didn't ever display less than 35°. Part of the reason I rode this morning was to see how uncomfortable I'd get behind the smaller FJR fairing (smaller than C10) and I have to say it wasn't bad at all. My face was a bit cold but that's easy to remedy. Love the heated grips.

Dan Bergmen, no problem with you tagging on to this thread - I can't believe my whining about dumping my new bike has exploded into 5 pages now.  :-\ Great pictures and I must say I agree with your assessment. I've felt a little unsure of the OEM tires, like they don't have the grip I expected so when they wear out I'll try a set of Michelin PR3's. A few weeks ago I was riding on I-5 South on a rainy day and I think the front tire slid off of the inside edge of the wear pattern from studded car tires while in a left corner, so that was a sphincter tightening moment. Other times I've just gritted my teeth and flung it into a dry corner and it has responded like a champ. That's probably the better plan since Bridgestone made a custom version of the BT-023 for the 2013 FJR - you'd think they know what's what when it comes to building tires.

I liked your comment on how quiet the motor is. What I've noticed during heavy acceleration is an exciting but muted shriek - you guys need to experience it but I'm not volunteering my bike so you can.  :)

I've left the suspension completely alone and am enjoying the greatly improved bump compliance of the rear shock compared to the C10.

The handlebars are good for me in their original position.

I probably should have been more aggressive during break-in but since my riding is mostly commuting behind cages it's tough to  exploit the throttle very much. When I got out into Eastern Oregon on the way to Idaho Falls I did some heavy throttle twisting a couple of times so the rings should have gotten a workout then. Let's just say it was a personal best.... ;D and that it was surprising to see how quickly the speedometer wrapped up far beyond anything I ever achieved on my 01 C10. And 2X now, I've beat a traffic light in downtown Portland, OR with WFO throttle application in 1st gear for an entire city block out of a tight 90° right turn. The pedestrian crossing timer said 3 seconds remaining when I got facing properly down the road and so I hit it. You all should have seen the homeless guy standing on the sidewalk staring with open mouth as I flashed by the one time. Not my smartest maneuvers ever but they rank high on the fun scale.

When I did my 700 mile day last August I did find the seat to be a bit lacking but it's better than the C10. For the time being I think I will live with the stock seat.

I sort of have to chuckle as I read these posts on how different or better the FJR or C14 (and whatever else) is than the C10,  cause you see guys, coming off 29 years of riding my XZ550. I am finding ALL these same wonderful attributes you guys are talking about on my new to me C10! :) 

Yup, it's all relative, ain't it?  I have an FJR and a C10, and they both put a smile on my face when I crank em through the gears.

I'm with you2Fast. I have..oops, had (c10 totaled in Sept, but will be replaced) both. I love them both. I never really missed the horsepower of the FJR when on the c10. I do love the handling of the FJR (Race Tech forks, HyperPro shock). I wish Dan and Brook all the best with their new bikes. The FJR is a great bike, and you will have many miles of fun!
Darn….just realized Dan getting a new FJR is going to cost me money, when he starts making farkels for his Gen3…I will have to replace my Gen1 AND buy his stuff! :))