• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New COG member from Georgia!

genesisgsxr

Big Wheel
Hi from Georgia! .... I just purchased a used 1997 Concours to park alongside my Suzuki GSXR-750 about 8 weeks ago!  I am really enjoying my Connie until a week ago when the idle started going crazy!  Can't figure out the problem and trying not to take it to a motorcycle shop! I already posted the issue on the forum --> http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=25705.msg94739#new

:(  This is my first sport tourer so it is different from the gixxer so I will be challenged . . . .Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! O:)

I joined COG today and look forward to participating in the club. I want to thank all the forum contributors that helped me make my decision to purchase this bike. I lurked for some time, studying the particular issues and benefits of this bike.

Kevin

Hey Kevin, Welcome to COG.  Great bike! Great people!
I'm in NY now but moving to your area in about a year.  I've got family down there and have vacationed on the Conc numerous times to the mountains.  Can't wait to be able to ride them weekly.  Good luck with the bike. Ride safe.

Kevin:

Also Welcome, you have a good number of members in Ga, some fairly near you.  There is a group that meets monthly in Marietta, you might check the South east section for the date and time.

As for your rough idle, more info is needed.  Does it smooth out some once the engine warms up or is it the same all the time?  Is it only at idle or is there some loss of power at other rpm's?  There are numerous things that could cause what you are experiencing, but I will tell you that you most likely have the skills needed to fix it.  The Connie is one bike you can do most all of the maintenance on.  The toughest part is getting the plastic off.

First thing I'd suggest was to drain all of the carb bowls and notice what comes out of each one.  You can hook a small plastic hose to the bottom of each bowl, open the screw, and dump the gas into a container.  You can do this without removing all of the plastic. 

Let us know what you find out.

l8r
John

Welcome to the zoo bro.  Like you've already been told, there's a wealth of info and lots of help available here and from plenty of club members.  The collective knowledge base of this group is unmatched anywhere when it comes to the Kawasaki Concours.  No matter what you run into, we;ve been there, done that, and can help you get past it too.

Again, welcome and keep us in the loop with your repairs. 

Hi Kevin,
If it is doing it all the time I would check the spark plugs and the holes they go in.  Sometimes new owners like to wash there new bike and water can get into the plug wells and pop the plug wire off.  Look close at #1 on the left side.  That is the one most often because of how the bike sits on the side stand and the timing chain cover making a nice puddle around that plug.  This is one of a few things to check anyway.