• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Connie Owner...1993 model, need tire/tires...*sigh*

2003wyomech

Big Wheel
Hello, All

I recently purchased a VERY clean 1993 Concours with less than 16,000 miles...love the handling and power, BUT....

It has Dunlops on it....K105F 110/80VR18 on front, K700G 150/80VR16 on rear. The previous owner must have replaced the rear tire since its in good condition, but the front is down to the wear bars. I'd like to replace just the front, but NOBODY has a K105F 110/80VR18!!!! (Apparently Dunlop discontinued it?) Sooooo...

1) would a K701F 120/70VR-18 (which American Moto Tire has in stock) fit and be compatible with the rear tire?

2) AND...CAN I RUN BIAS PLY TIRES ON THIS BIKE???

Sheesh...and here I was SO sure I got a great deal on the bike! lol

I just mounted up a 110/80zr18 Michelin PR3 on the front. A truly nice handling, nice riding tire. S'posed to be kick ass for grip and in the rain, and not wear out right away. And it is even factory siped.

Good kit.

Edit to add: Where's my manners? Welcome to the "cult".

Thanks, Paulie and Greg...will get a 701 on order today...And I already LOVE the bike, especially "smokin" the Harley riders who've spent 10x the $$ on their "dream machines" as I did for an "almost cherry" Connie!! LOL

And to Steve, thanks for the tip...I assume you're running Michelins front and rear? Have never tried that brand, but have heard good things. for now, I'm gonna go with the 701 Dunlop to get the rest of the miles out of a very good back tire. I HAVE mixed brands/tread patterns on previous, more "vanilla" bikes (like my town bike, a '78 GS550E Suzuki) but hate to possibly compromise the secure handling of the Connie...it is sooooo much fun in the "twisties". 

Looking forward to riding Poudre Canyon (west of Ft. Collins, Colo) and the Snowy Range Rd (southern Wyoming, west of Laramie). If you folks are ever out this way, those two rides are definitely worth your time.

Thanks again!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it thus far, but the Dunlop 701 as original equipment on the Connie is not very well regarded by most around here. They really suck if you have rain grooves, metal expansion bridges, any kind of edge on the road you are traveling, these tires like to do a dance on. There are better choices out there. Avon Storm is a popular one.  The PR3 is well reviewed, and it's new tech, versus the primitive carcass that wears a 701 label.

Matching tires on a C-10 is getting to be more difficult in the stock sizing, though it sounds like Avon may be coming to the rescue. I and some others, are running a radial front, along with a belted bias in the back. It seems to be working fine. I was running bias front and rear, the PR3 radial up front really improved the ride and handling compared to what I had.

my .02.

Since I have read a number of posts about this I am personally going to go with the Avon Storm 2 up front and an Avon Azaro in the rear.There seems to be a general consenus that the Avons are reasonably inexpensive and have received great reviews.The OEM's on my connie at the present are so cupped that I could stash 6 cups o' rain water in'em.Hope this helps a little

The Dunlop 701 is not regarded favorably on the forum.  My 05 had them when I got it used and they didn't seem so bad to me.  My biggest concern for you is that the 93 and earlier had a narrower front wheel and came fitted with a 110/80 tire.  The 701 runs smaller than a true 120/80 tire so it might work just fine.   

hi Rodger - welcome to the jungle. I believe you'll find there to be better choices for your '93 than the Dunlops. In particular, the Avon combo of the "Storm 2" front and "Azaro-ST" rear seems to be well-regarded. As far as bias tires, Avon's Roadrider and Bridgestone's BT-45V are both options.

I just installed the BT-45's F&R, nice improvement over the stockers, but she always feels nice with new shoes!  I get about 8k from the rear, I could push the front 2x the rear, but with all the metal on the road, new tires are a minimal cost compared to loosing a tire while underway.  Great bike, I should buy a spare for parts...this is all the bike I will ever need...jump on it an go, my 7.5 gallon sipper blows away my friend's Harley, although, I like the Harley, it's just a preference and I like the comfort.  Mine is otherwise stock, but the tire come and go.  My dealer did seem complexed by the lack of options, but as long as they make the BT-45, no worries....

BZ