• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New guy on the block

creaky

Moped
Hi everyone, new guy here. I recently bought a '98 ZG1000 and thought it would be a good idea to join the forum to learn about the bike. I have been shopping for one for some time, looking for a fixer-upper. I finally found the '98 with some cosmetic issues and a misfire problem. I spoke with the owner on the phone for details and decided to take a look. It was 325 miles away, but the owner sounded OK and I felt that his description was honest. The wife and I drove out this past Friday and checked it out. It was just about exactly as the owner described, a few minor paint scratches and abrasions and some minor cracks in the lower fairings. The engine started readily, but had a rough idle. A short ride revealed that under heavy throttle there was an intermittent misfire on one cylinder. When starting off from a stop, the engine would stutter a bit until the revs came up. I decided to buy and rode the bike home on Saturday. After a few miles, the engine ran pretty smoothly but still would misfire under heavy throttle. As long as I kept a light hand on the throttle, it ran fine, cruised easily on the slab at 70. After getting it home, I pulled the plugs 1st thing. When I pulled #1 plug wire, I saw that there was green corrosion on the plug tip. A look inside the plug boot revealed the same thing. I unscrewed the boot from the plug wire and there was corrosion there as well. I cleaned it all up, pulled the plugs, cleaned them and checked the gap, put everything back. The engine now runs very smoothly, no rough idle, no misfire. The engine has 35K on it and the wheels are sporting a new set of Metzeler 880s. Best part, I got it for $1900. I welcome all comments as to pros and cons of the bike.

Attachments

• DSCN0858a.jpg
    DSCN0858a.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 103
Hi Bill,
Welcome to the forum.  880s are kind of hard tires so watch your cornering and wet roads till you are use to them.  I would check their age also.  If they are really old even though the tread is fine they can still be bad.  The rubber just gives out with time.  If you like a stickier tire they make them.
Nice find.

smithr-scad said:
Hi Bill,
Welcome to the forum.  880s are kind of hard tires so watch your cornering and wet roads till you are use to them.  I would check their age also.  If they are really old even though the tread is fine they can still be bad.  The rubber just gives out with time.  If you like a stickier tire they make them.
Nice find.

Thanks for the heads up, I will be cautious. I checked the dates on the tires, they were manufactured 05/08, show no signs of dry rot or damage.