• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New member from IN

ProudGecko

Training Wheels
Hello All, I finally took the plunge and paid my membership dues. I know it will be well worth it, this community is awesome. I ride what started out as a near pristine '86 Connie with less than 16,000 miles on the clock. Unfortunately there were some growing pains moving from my '73 Honda CB500 to this liter beast. With in 2 weeks I'd already dropped her in a parking lot, a couple of months later I dropped her coming to a stop in a gravel parking lot, and finally at the end of the riding season I hit a gravel patch doing 30-40mph and dumped her yet again. This last one caused more than just scratches, but nothing a little abs welding/gluing couldn't fix. She's a little ugly now but still rides like a dream. David S 1986 Kawasaki Concours 1973 Honda CB500

Welcome Gecko, Check out Murph's in the vendors section for the tipover bars. Save the price in one "test" drop. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Welcome David, It sounds like the first two might qualify you for CDA status. Check out the Connie Droppers Anonymous thread. Welcome aboard.

I'm already quite familiar with Murph's website. He gave me an awesome deal on a discontinued Shad 45L trunk last fall and I just bought a boat load of parts to get her ready for the spring. I've seen the tip over bars and have considered getting them. I'm not painting the bike right away because I figure now is as good a time as any to practice my skills without worrying so much about hurting my bike. When I drop the money on a paint job i will definitely buy the tip over bars. David S 1986 Kawasaki Concours 1973 Honda CB500

Don't feel bad. I've switched from a 750 Nighthawk to a 2001 Connie a little less than a year ago. Dropped the Connie twice. Once in the garage and once in the driveway. Both times at a complete stop. Wish I could have said it was a gravel road or something besides my own ineptness. One drop broke the right side foot peg bracket and I bikeless for a week while awaiting the replacement part. I am quickly learning the point of no return on the beast or so I hope.

Welcome to the fun. Quite a few of us COGGERs kick off the season here. http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/Default.asp Maybe I will see you.

My friend (a Nighthawk 650 rider) attends the Moonshine Run each year and I've intended too each time but I'm beginning to think I'll never make it because something ALWAYS comes up that weekend. I too broke off the right side foot peg when I dropped the bike the first time. That was humiliating because I dropped the bike in a parking lot with several other cagers watching. I managed to get the bike up no problem on my own but forgot to put the side stand down and down she went again (very slowly this time) as I tried to manuever my body back onto the bike. Finally one of the guys thought it might be good if he lended a hand while the other guy just continued to watch me make a fool of myself. Oh well though, no real damage beyond a peg bracket and bruised ego. David S 1986 Kawasaki Concours 1973 Honda CB500

Welcome... I have to agree with you. The COG community is awesome. By far, this is the best club I have belonged to. I've been a member for over 10 years and have become friends with quite a few along the way... some will probably end up being lifelong friends. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Welcome aboard from another new member! Bikes owned: 1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate 1982 Honda Goldwing Standard 1987 Kawasaki Concours Christian Motorcyclists Assoc# 121903 GWRRA # 254355 GWRRA NJ Classic Wings Representative

Cool I got my membership card and number yesterday, along with a nifty key chain. I feel official now. Hopefully I'll get my CDA# soon :) David S COG# 9062 1986 Kawasaki Concours 1973 Honda CB500

Hopefully I'll get my CDA# soon Boy he is excited to be an owner and member. I have to say I can always wait to throw my bike to the ground. In fact I waited several years before doing it three times in one year :/ Photos[/url]

Oh I definitely am in no hurry to throw my Connie down again. After many hours of sanding and gluing her plastics are certainly functional and almost presentable again. Its good to know that I'm not the only one to have dropped (ok, one was more of a crash) my Connie three times in a season. I promised her this season would be better. David S COG# 9062 1986 Kawasaki Concours 1973 Honda CB500

Welcome David, This is indeed a great place for information and support. Sorry to hear about your drops, but I had the same issue my first year (also my first year of riding). Second year was much better and I'm still in love with "Margo". Enjoy and ride safe! Mark