• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Member in Alberta, Canada

RodgerG

Big Wheel
Hi all, I more or less stumbled on a 2005 Concours last week in a local dealership. I was actually looking for a VStrom, wandered over to sit on a used Bandit and looked over at the Concours beside me. It seemed to be calling my name so I took it for a test ride. There was no turning back after that. I've been riding a KLR650 for the last 5 years but after riding up and down every gravel and back road within 300 miles of home I found I was riding the slab more and more often. Anyone who has ridden a KLR on the highway for ay length of time probably knows how I was feeling after a few hours. Well, the long and short of it is that I'm loving the Concours and I was really glad to find COG. I'm already intrigued by a referrence to "Murphs" "knees" and "more comfortable"... gotta find out more about that. Anyway, it's nice to know that as I get to know my new ride I have all of you to share the experience with. Cheers, --rodger

Rodger, Welcome, Murphs is one of our vendors who also does a lot to support COG so we do our best to support him as well. www.murphskits.com Enjoy your new toy and be careful, the Connie likes lots of accessories and can get tempermental about being ignored. Have fun and be safe.

Welcome aboard Rodger! Get yourself acquainted to the site. You find some good people on here. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

Thanks for the pointer. I've looked through the Murph site and I thinik what was referred to is the fairing extenders. Interesting. My fairing doesn't have the small detachable guides on the lowers so perhaps the fairing extenders are an alternative. I like the COGMOS site already.

Welcome. More comfort could also mean bar risers or peg lowering, depending on your preferences. Mine was to leave these stock. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Hi there Rodger, What part of Alberta are you from? I'm from Saskatoon Sk. I have a 2004 Connie. So far all I've done is put on a givi windscreen and I'm waiting for some handlebar risers to come in the mail. Picked mine up in Alabama and road it home in July. I've been wanting to make a trip out to Banff, up through Jasper to Edmonton and back home. But I'm warned not to go through Jasper any earlier than mid July or later than mid August. So I guess I'll be waiting 'till next year. Take care. Grizzly

The bars are fine but I'm intrigued now by the peg lowering. I find the riding position to be a bit hard on my knees. I feel a bit squished. Going to head back to Murph's to check it out. Thanks. Happy Trails, --rodger

Hey Grizzly, Nice to meet you. I lived in Saskatoon from 84 to 91 and again from 96 to 03 and still manage to get back once or twice a year. What part of town do you live in? Right now I'm living in St. Albert. I am not sure about the advice you got about Jasper. There might the odd snowflake from mid to end-September but the fall there is stunning. It is also quite OK to ride from the beginning of May. In fact, I think it is probably better as you advoid some of the tourist traffic and road work that plague the summer months. I am taking a 4 day hike in Jasper next weekend but, unfortunately, am leaving Ziggy (the Concours) at home. I'm already contemplating a short trip next spring (Edmonton - Jasper - Banff - Calgary - Edmonton). I'd be open to having company on such a trip and either camp or hotel. Cheers, Happy Trails, --rodger

I found I was hugging the bike too hard with my legs, causing knee discomfort. When I relaxed a bit and let my toes point outward slightly when at rest (not shifting or braking) then I can do 200+ miles in a day without the knee pain. Lowering may help me even more, but for now it's OK. I added a Cee Bailey's windscreen and it helped with the buffeting at higher speeds. No Murph bars yet - just because I'm already thinking of trading up to a C14.