• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Member in Minnesota

med_rare

Just wanted to introduce myself and see if there are any members near me. I'm in Northwest MN, about 40 miles from Fargo, ND (do your best MN accent from the movie "Fargo" now). I've been riding since I was 9, but just got my '06 Concours almost a year ago. I currently have 6 Kawasakis ranging from 70's MT1's thru my daily driver, an '82 GPz 750, and now the Concours. A long ride on the GPz prompted the purchase of the Concours. The GPz is a great bike, but the exposure is tiring. Despite what some people think of bikes from that era, it doesn't vibrate throught the grips at all. But the Concours is a far superior distance bike in every other way and it opened up a whole new world to me. Call it mid life crisis if you want, but all I want to do is get on and go somewhere. I admit that I joined COG for the bike (specifically tech info), but the personal, helpful replies to several pre-purchase questions sealed the deal. I'm looking forward to meeting other members and hope to make it to Tomah this summer. Steve

Hi Steve. Welcome! I'm sure there are people much closer to you, but I live in Saskatoon Sk. Every winter I wonder why. Take care.

Hi Steve, just want to say welcome. I recently joined after getting an 09 C-14. There is no mid life crisis brother.There is only a conscious awakening to the passions that can no longer be contained. Ride safe and be well. Keith

Thanks for the replies. With any amount of luck I'll be coming thorough your neck of the woods next summer, Grizzly. I'm trying to round up a few buddies to ride the Alcan Highway. From the posts on some of the other forums I'm going to be a year late, though. And K14, I hope you don't mind but I've been borrowing your piece of wisdom on mid life crises! I'm still giving you credit anyway.

Hi Steve Welcome to the group. I am quite a way south of you but still in Minnesota. We try to stay busy. The MN COG group events are usually here http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=40233.0 Just as an FYI I will be doing be participating in this event this Saturday http://www.glmc.org/glacier_challenge.html come on down if you are bored should be a good time. Last year we had at least one type of get together every month, sometimes a ride, sometimss a tech session, sometimes just a evening of beverages and food.

Jeff, Well, even at 250 miles you're the closest I've heard from so far. I have a sister South of St Cloud. And I need to get down to Jordan for parts one of these days. I rode through there last summer but it was too late in the day to stop at Sport Wheels. I did meet 2 C10's while heading West from South Haven and figured I missed a gathering of some sort. I'll keep an eye on the forum for events this summer. If you get near here let me know. As for riding through the streets of Watertown in February... I've been to Watertown SD in February, and it sounds crazy. The only reason it's SOUTH Dakota is because "Almost As Far North as North Dakota" is too long to fit on the sign! Seriously, sounds like fun (in just about any other month) and I'd like to watch, but I can't make it. Will you be riding the Concours? Steve

Hi Steve nice to here from you. I will make it a point to let you know about the COG events. There are COG members closer to you that I know. One is in Minot the other in Brookings and another in Duluth that I know personally. I am not riding the Concours a friend of mine is bring a 180 something or I may just help. It is more of an excuse to get away. I rode the Connie on ice last fall on the way to "The Hunt for Red October" It did fine but scared the bejeepers out of me. I left it parked on the side of the rode for a couple of hours until the road warmed up. The first bigride for me will be the Moonshine lunch run barring a snow storm I will go. http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/Default.asp Otherwise I usually start riding to work when the roads are pretty much ice free in the morning. That was March last year. my email is jkerkow At mchsi dot com

**Rider In Minot** I actually have roots in Minot and will be riding up there a few times this summer, so if you (or Jeff) are willing to share your identity, let me know. If you want to contact me directly, my email is med_rare at yahoo dot com. I realize this thread is probably dead and I've been away for awhile (long story), so I'll send directly to Jeff if I don't hear soemthing soon. Thanks.