• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New member with new modification questions

What is the best aftermarket windshield option for 6' rider and 2011 C14?

• Cee Baileys Euro 2.5" higher than 10/11 windshield

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Cee Baileys Ultra Dome 4.5" higher than 10/11 windshield

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • CalSci Large 3" higher than 10/11 windshield

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • CalSci XLarge 4.35" higher than 10/11 windshield

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jagman

Moped
^-^Hello...I introduced myself in the new members section and just joined the forum today.  I just picked my black 2011 Concours 14 up last Tuesday and I'm already starting to think of how to make it "mine":)  I have said with every motorcycle I've ever owned that I'd probably leave it stock for at least a year.  That never lasts more than 6 months and in this case I've got some things I want to do now and would greatly appreciate other members feedback.  My last ten years of riding have been on 3 different HD's and currently still own my custom Street Glide.  Thanks in advance for your assistance to my questions:

-I'm going to replace the seat.  Either a Sargent Sport Tour or Corbin for now.  I'm open to other suggestions.  I'm 6' 185 w/ 32" inseam so I'm flatfooted but just barely.  I have sat on a Sargent low seat at 30' and found it to be near perfect.  The problem is I noticed this pre owned bike with the low seat also had a peg lowering kit on it.  I would do that as well, but would like to hear from the more learned members as to whether that is truly a small adjustment or not.  Unless it's pretty routine and safe I will not do it or have it done.  I would need to lowers if I go with a lower seat, or so it seems.  Is it truly a simple and safe task to align new pegs with brake and shifter?

-I'm thinking I am going to replace the windshield.  At 6' and the stock seat, the wind buffetting is just at my head level at full height.  I have had very good luck with Cee Bailey windshields on other bikes and am thinking the Euro Tour at 2.5" taller and 4" wider should do the trick, although I'm tempted to go with the Ultra Tour Dome at 4" and 4" plus size.  I just think that is a bit taller than necessary and also think the look would be affected.
The only other option I have considered is the VStream. 
I believe the shape of the stock shield is a much to blame for the turbulent air as anything.
I would love any first hand knowledge from riders of my size or and any other suggestions.  BTW-I have added 2" Heli Bars.

-I will do a slip on Muffler of some type.  I don't plan on doing a full exhaust swap but do want a nice rich sound, but by no means loud.  In fact I can live with stock but would like just a bit more sound.  My plan is to order a Power Commander 5 with a Carbon Two Brothers slip on and suggested MAP.  I'll run that unless it's obvious it needs a full dyno tune.  Any suggestions or advice or other options is welcome.  While the bike is running great, and feels very smooth, I know from several years of bike ownership and having done lot's of motor upgrades, that it is likely not mapped from the factory to give me what I know it's capable of and not just from a pure power perspective.  More so throttle response, low end grunt and the smooth factor.

I know thats a request for a lot of feedback but I'd really like to hear from actual owners before moving forward on any of these mod's.
Thanks! 

Well all changes really depend on your needs. I am a little shorter than you. I liked the V Stream on my bike. But it wasn't the best at full down for me because I'm shorter than you. The V Stream may fit you perfect. I actually used a smaller shield in the hotter months and the V Stream in the cooler months and on trips.
Seats are different for everyone. I personally liked the Corbin. It is about an inch lower than OEM. It also gives you room to move around. I used an Alaskan sheep shin over it. It worked well for me. But others may find it too firm. I found the Sargent cramped me. It felt too tight for me. Maybe that's what some folks like.
I installed an Area P on mine. It looked great and was fairly quiet. But I did grow tired of a slight drone on the highway during a trip to Nova Scotia. So I went back to the pure quiet and ugliness of the OEM pipe!

Cap'n Bob said:
Well all changes really depend on your needs. I am a little shorter than you. I liked the V Stream on my bike. But it wasn't the best at full down for me because I'm shorter than you. The V Stream may fit you perfect. I actually used a smaller shield in the hotter months and the V Stream in the cooler months and on trips.
Thanks Cap...do I ever know that routine:)  I have so many windshields on the other bikes its crazy.  I do have my favorites for Summer and Winter and do swap them out.  I would prefer to not to that with the C14 though.  I can see where the problem may occur with a slightly taller windshield where the "all the way down" slot might not be too high and hadn't thought of that.  Hopefully 2.5"s taller than stock wouldn't cause that/

Seats are different for everyone. I personally liked the Corbin. It is about an inch lower than OEM. It also gives you room to move around. I used an Alaskan sheep shin over it. It worked well for me. But others may find it too firm. I found the Sargent cramped me. It felt too tight for me. Maybe that's what some folks like.
I have owned Corbin and like them too, but have to say the Sargent felt nice.  I DO like the fact that the Corbin is about an inch lower.  That may be just the compromise I need to not have to worry with peg lowering.  In fact sounds perfect

I installed an Area P on mine. It looked great and was fairly quiet. But I did grow tired of a slight drone on the highway during a trip to Nova Scotia. So I went back to the pure quiet and ugliness of the OEM pipe!
I'll be staying away from area P then.  I get plenty of droning from a D&D Fatcat on the HD:)  Did you remap your bike after the slip on install?  Thanks for the feedback!

Don't get me wrong. The Area P is an excellent pipe and probably doesn't really drone at all. It's probably just me. You know how us cranky old farts can get!  :))  All kidding aside. The Area P is one of if not the quietest can on the market for the C14. Don't use my experience as a reason not to get the Area P. Most people love them. And I really recommend them!  ;)

I used a Corbin on my C10 and liked it. Some say they are too hard, but I can say that the firm seat provide solid, even support and was good for 400-500 mile days.  While the stock C14 saddle is better than the stock C10 saddle, I'll be looking for a new saddle next year. 

There will be many different saddles (and other farkels) in use at the COG National Rally in August. I plan to ask to test sit in different ones like the Corbin & Sargent.

BTW - one of the best and most useful accessories for any new or used Concours is a paid membership to COG.

S Smith said:
I used a Corbin on my C10 and liked it. Some say they are too hard, but I can say that the firm seat provide solid, even support and was good for 400-500 mile days.  While the stock C14 saddle is better than the stock C10 saddle, I'll be looking for a new saddle next year. 

There will be many different saddles (and other farkels) in use at the COG National Rally in August. I plan to ask to test sit in different ones like the Corbin & Sargent.

Thanks

BTW - one of the best and most useful accessories for any new or used Concours is a paid membership to COG.

What was the $35? for?

I have a stock seat on my 2010 haven't considered replacing above other priorities, so I wouldn't rush into that until youy get a few miles under your belt.

As for shield, I'm 6'2" and use the CB Ultra Tour, it works for my wife and I and when full up we experience no buffeting and can ride in 32 deg weather.

Hope that helps.

Stewart said:
I have a stock seat on my 2010 haven't considered replacing above other priorities, so I wouldn't rush into that until youy get a few miles under your belt.

As for shield, I'm 6'2" and use the CB Ultra Tour, it works for my wife and I and when full up we experience no buffeting and can ride in 32 deg weather.

Hope that helps.

Actually good advice on the seat.  I do feel it breaking in somewhat, but don't see the forward slant issue for the passenger improving.  That said, it's not a horrible seat.  The biggest issue I see is the lack of suitable alternatives outside of Sargent, Corbin and Russell Day Long's.  I wish there were more. 
I've all but dismissed the idea of lowering the pegs.  Just gonna wait for the right seat and windshield.
At 6' vs 6'2" I would think the Euro Cee Baileys at 2.5"s over would be about right for me, although I'm tempted to go with the Ultra Tour.  Just afraid that it wouldn't be low enough when fully detracted for the look and feel I want.
Also just started to look at the CalSci 3" over stock that looks interesting.

A couple of additional questions re: the CD shield please;
The add says 4"s wider.  Is that correct?  That should make a big difference.
Do you experience any annoying windshild shake others have talked about with the CB?

I have several Cee Baileys SSC shields for my HD Streetglide and they do a great job of handling buffetting, but they do shake like crazy at idle, (no surprise with the rubber mount motor:)), but tend to calm completely down when in transit.

thanks again for your advice

Stewart said:
A couple of additional questions re: the CD shield please;
The add says 4"s wider.  Is that correct?  That should make a big difference.
Do you experience any annoying windshild shake others have talked about with the CB?

I haven't measured the width lately, but when I was researching I recall there being photo's showing the width. I find the coverage to be very good.

As for shake, I only find that it shakes in very turbulent wind, anything less than that I don't have a problem.

I m 5'10 and I had the CB Euro and I found it to be to short for me . All the way up put the wind stream just above my eyes so I still
got buffeting. I bought the Tour and I canadjust it to eliminate all the buffetting.

Rash

Rash said:
I m 5'10 and I had the CB Euro and I found it to be to short for me . All the way up put the wind stream just above my eyes so I still
got buffeting. I bought the Tour and I canadjust it to eliminate all the buffetting.

Rash

Thanks Rash.  How does the Ultra Tour perform all the down?  What type of air do you get at that position?  I'm not too concerned about the look of the windshield at full extension while riding if it works, but i would not like it if the Ultra, which is 4.5"s taller than stock for 2010/11 looks overly tall at retracted position or demonstrates too little air or negatively directed air at fully lowered position.

Cap'n Bob said:
How did you come up with this polls categories? And when was it added?  ???

The categories were the windshields I am most interested in buying.  I added it today, but honestly did not intend for it to be imbedded in this post.

I'm on an 09 so I upgraded to a V-stream windshield.  At 6 foot and a 34 inch inseam it fits well.  I ride with it at about position 3.  That means I'm looking through it for about 40 feet.  When it's all the way up at position 4 I'm looking through it for the first 200 feet.  It shakes a bit compared to stock, but I'm getting used to it.  I like the Corbin seat on my old C10, but on this one I'll stick with the stock seat for a while. 
Hope this helps

Try that windshield a little more.  I'm brand new to my 2008 abs as well. My first move was to order a taller shield.

It has not arrived yet, but I'm finding the stock shield to be pretty decent.  I knwo I'll want the taller shield for the cold months, but with a good helmet the shorty is not half-bad.

I'm going to go ahead and order the Euro, (2.5" higher than stock for a 2011 shield) today I think.  I know the very limited poll results all point to the Ultra, but I'm afraid that the fully retracted position will be too high and there would be rough air at that setting.  I would hate to have to raise it from lowest to a bit higher to eliminate that.  I like the idea of being to get the shield pretty low and have the option of getting it 2.5" higher.
Of course after all that, it's highly possible that I will end up ordering the ultra if the Euro isn't just to my liking.  I tend to do stuff like that when it comes to mod's of this type that can't be experienced first.