• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New member with new to me 86

RustedWrench

Big Wheel
Just picked up a very rough 86. It runs, thats about it. There is no fairing, no bags, no blinkers, no front left foot peg, and no gauge cluster. My goal is to get it back on the road as soon as possible. Pictures to follow.

8)

Sounds like a winner to me. If I was to recommend anything it would be to pull the carbs and send them to Steve in Florida. I think he gets $300 to completely go through them the right way and install overflow tubes. When they are in his hands just go through the bikes and do a complete fluids change, adjust the valves, clean up any wires that are rubbed or just hanging there. Make a parts list and post it here. When you get the carbs back and start working on getting her running you will take out the biggest variable problem out of the mix knowing the carbs are good and you have fresh fluids and adjustments made.

Just my unsolicited advice..

A couple of pics.
How she sits now.
P1310302.jpg

What is this in the red circle?
P1310321.jpg

Can't answer about the red circle, but I'm envious. I've never tried to rebuild a M/C, but it looks like fun. The possibilities are endless!!! that's awesome. i want one.  8)

You circled the cam chain adjuster. It's automatic.........most of the time. Get yourself a manual....you will need it.

Oh, and welcome to the ward. I got me an 86 too.  8)

If you get stuck just put a shout out and we'll do what we can.

Plenty here in the Pac-NW to help a buddy out.  ;D
I restored an 86 and 88 for my first 2 connies  :motonoises:

Colin

I've already ordered a factory service manual. I'm currently changing fluids and going through the wiring. The harness seems to be complete, thank God. The tank is going to need some work. It looks like this bike has fallen over on the left a couple of times.

Oops, I type slow. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I will need it. I love this forum so far, lot's of  knowledgeable and helpful folks.