• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Pelican Top Case - Install

thedugger

Bicycle
I just installed my Pelican 1200 Top Case on my 2010 Concours C-14.  I have included some pictures and descriptions for those would like install something similar.
My plan is to use this as a utility box for things like air pump, air gauge, plug kit, etc.  After arriving at my night time destination, it will be used to lock and secure items like GPS, Radar, and Satellite radios.  The beauty here is that the case is almost indestructible and 100% waterproof and lockable!  The whole thing cost less than $50.
2275677850107238729S500x500Q85.jpg

The Pelican case I used was a Pelican 1200 and I ordered it without a foam insert.  You can see the case details here http://www.pelican-case.com/1200nf-yellow.html 

After I got the basic fit location of the case to the rack, I removed the rack from the bike and started the install.  The first thing is to remove some material from the bottom feet of the case.  This was needed to fit within the channels of the rack.  NOTE - this may vary depending on what case size you buy.  This was required for the 1200.  I simply used a file and removed some plastic.
2623899900107238729S500x500Q85.jpg

2340244940107238729S500x500Q85.jpg

Then I marked where I wanted the holes drilled by carefully matching the case to the rack.  I used a center punch to mark the holes and then I drilled.  I first used a 1/8" bit then finished with a 1/4" bit.
2825825530107238729S500x500Q85.jpg

After the 4 holes were drilled, I inserted hardware.  I don't know the proper name of the bolts, but they were 1.5" long and 1/4 20 thread.  The important part for me was that they had a "mushroom" like head as not to snag or destroy anything inside of the case.  I put washers both on the inside and underneath.  The nuts I used were the type with the self locking Nylon insert so they would not someday back themselves loose.
2756440650107238729S500x500Q85.jpg

Now simply fit rack (with top case attached to rack) back on the bike.  PRESTO - done!! ;)
2607063910107238729S500x500Q85.jpg

You will note that I installed the case with the handle forward.  This was by design so that if I were ever stuck on the side of the road, I could open my top case and I could be seen more easily, that's why there is reflective tape on the top of the box..... 8)  Additionally, I plan to use the handle as a lashing point when I am on a big trip and need to tie down a bag or duffel on the pillion seat. 
2880006780107238729S500x500Q85.jpg

Hope this helps anyone who has been thinking of a top case for their bike!!! :)
2109853520107238729S500x500Q85.jpg

Good write up.

However, don't count on it being as secure as you might think when bolting it to the stock rack.  If someone wants it, there's a really nice grab handle to get leverage to yank it off of there (the stock rack is junk, and there's been one report of it breaking with an empty 36L Kawi case).

I'm sure someone else will say it, so I might as well ask ... are you going to paint it?  A square yellow box on top of such a beautiful machine, just doesn't seem to 'go with the lines' so to speak.  Hopefully that was PC enough?

PAINT IT...?  Huh???  You knockin' my colors?  Just kidding, Yellow is a bit loud and I debated buying the black case, but ultimately I choose yellow to be conspicuous.

I don't offend easily so no worries!  The good news is that you can order these cases in black, gray, olive, tan, and orange. 

I'll keep my eye on the rack.  It feels pretty secure and tight, but only time will tell I guess.

Thanks!
Doug

Thedugger said:
I don't offend easily so no worries! 

Thanks for free pass on negative comments Doug, I'm sorry but I don't like it, sorry again... That yellow makes it looks like the lunch box that the construction worker from the "Village People" had...

hiding.gif

I'd also say paint it.

No love for the Yellow box I guess.  Related to painting, the Pelican web site says that due to it's plastic  makeup and formula, special paint would be needed.  Not that I am painting it or anything  :nananana:

YMCA...... LOL

ZG said:
Thedugger said:
I don't offend easily so no worries! 

Thanks for free pass on negative comments Doug, I'm sorry but I don't like it, sorry again... That yellow makes it looks like the lunch box that the construction worker from the "Village People" had...

hiding.gif

I'd also say paint it.

I guess I don't know that one.  Must be outside the circles I travel in.  Perhaps this one requires a visual aid?    ::)

There have been a few guys who have used the Pelican cases on their bikes. I've seen a couple first hand. They are a very nice (waterproof) alternative to the standard top case. This one here is even in this thread is even in hi-viz yellow!

now that u got that fancy yeller case, you dont need that zuki-duro in the back ground right? why dont you loan it to me for a while...  :)) j/k. the yellow is loud but no one can say they dont see you. dont need to add much lighting back there.

Hey Ricky,

I never underestimate the stupidity of the cager!  The more visible I can be the better.  Maybe between bites of the quarter pounders, shaving and reading the newspaper, they will look up and see my blinding yellow box and super bright LED brake lights burning their retinas.  Ride safe!

Doug

doug,

yeah, i bought some led lighting from an auto parts store that i added to the rear of my bike as running lights, and ive got a brake light modulator. im thinking about hooking that up to a set of the running lights to have two additional brake lights. one of my biggest fears is being rear ended.

Ricky,

Funny you should mention that. :D  I just recently installed a BACK-OFF brake light modulator on my C-14!!  I thought maybe I posted here somewhere but I don't think I did.  I should have, but I didn't take any pictures as I did the install.  You can see the finished product on You Tube though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8In5aBMMjew&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I ordered the back-off modulator and bought some bright LED lights from my local motorcycle shop.  The install went well, not too complicated.  You just need to tap into the correct brake wires.  I originally had just the new LED lights blinking, but then went back and re-wired so that the OEM brake light blinks too.  Now I have 3 super bright LED all flashing for 5 quick pulses then they go to a steady on.  They do this with each activation of the brakes.  I can help you later on if you need help sorting out the wires.  I have it figured out now that I have done it twice.
Doug