• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New tire manufacture date

GKreamer

Street Cruiser
This may be subjective, but if you ordered a new tire, or a set, how old (manufacture date) would you be ok with?  I ordered a new tire from Amazon, Michelin PR4, but was sent a PR3 with a manufacture date of 1414.  That makes the tire a little over 2 years old, manufactured in April 2014.

There doesn't appear to be any issue with the tire, other than it apparently was an Amazon return as it had a return barcode taped to the inside of the tire.

Just wanted to see what you guys think, is 2 years to old for a "new" tire?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20160724_075214 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20160724_075214 (Large).jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 122
No,2 years is very common.... dealers have to rotate stock, I've gotten 4 year old ones, and they were clearly warehoused and stored well, and no issue...
I did contact vendors when I got ones in excess of 5 ytrears tho, and told them to give me a return shipping authorization, or a 25% rebate on the price I paid...
So far that worked good.... but not always.
If you are gonna stockpile tires, and store them, put them in good quality black hefty garbage bags, seal them, and store them away from light in a ontrolled temperature below 80* F
Just for safe keeping.

I wouldn't have a problem with the 2 yr issue. I actually recently received a PR3 from Jake Wilson that was over 2 years old (1014). If I got one 4 or more years old, I would probably complain.  However, I would have a problem if I ordered a PR4 and I received a PR3?

MAN OF BLUES said:
No,2 years is very common.... dealers have to rotate stock, I've gotten 4 year old ones, and they were clearly warehoused and stored well, and no issue...
I did contact vendors when I got ones in excess of 5 ytrears tho, and told them to give me a return shipping authorization, or a 25% rebate on the price I paid...
So far that worked good.... but not always.
If you are gonna stockpile tires, and store them, put them in good quality black hefty garbage bags, seal them, and store them away from light in a ontrolled temperature below 80* F
Just for safe keeping.

Thanks MOB!!  Appreciate the info!

I'm not endorsing one vendor or another, but I've always purchased my tires from American Moto tire. Not once have I received a tire that was more than 6 months old. Just that alone keeps all my business with them. Plus I've found they are cheaper than anyone else and they don't charge shipping. Is what it is and take it for what it's worth, but I'd rather risk a newer tire than one over 2 years old.

I'm still running the Michelin Pilote GT's, I got one of the last sets available, and let them "mature" in my cool, dark basement for three years before installing them.  That was two years ago.  No problems so far. I guess if they suffer a catastrophic failure at 70 MPH, then I'm outa here.

I would believe it's about will you wear a tire out before it is 4 or 5 years old?

I don't know the exact stale date on any given tire compound, but in my own mind, 5 years old is pushing the limit. If you're dragging knees, 3 or 4 years max would be better.