• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New trunk pad

F-106

Scooter
Bought a new trunk for the concours a few weeks back. Took it down to Rocky's seats and saddlebags to have Rock make a backrest pad for the wife to lean back on. He made it a bit big but the wife likes it so I am happy too. He should have it covered in a few days to match the seat. I never had a bike with a trunk before so we will see how it works out.
pad3.jpg
PAD%204.jpg

Hey,
Is that trunk bolted to the OEM accessory tail rack?  It sure looks like it.  I ask because I did something like this but felt the way the acc. rack attaches is WAY to weak to take a trunk and a lovely lady leaning on it.  I reinforced mine with a part I made that went between the stock tail foundation and the added accessory rack so that any weight pushing down or back would be supported by the tail of the bike and not just the pivot points at the hand holds that the accessory rack uses.

Yes it is mounted to the OEM accessory tail rack. I too had the same thoughts, so we made up a few upright supports. They will go from the saddlebag mounting rail up to the rack. I did upgrade all the mounting bolts to grade 8 as well. The supports are not in the photos due to we were in the mockup stage when the photos were taken.[. quote author=smithr-scad link=topic=26404.msg102618#msg102618 date=1301940953]
Hey,
Is that trunk bolted to the OEM accessory tail rack?  It sure looks like it.  I ask because I did something like this but felt the way the acc. rack attaches is WAY to weak to take a trunk and a lovely lady leaning on it.  I reinforced mine with a part I made that went between the stock tail foundation and the added accessory rack so that any weight pushing down or back would be supported by the tail of the bike and not just the pivot points at the hand holds that the accessory rack uses.
[/quote]

Good to see you notice this.  I would hate for it to fail and someone or something fall off the back.

Can anybody give me any information about the accessory rack?  I bought my 06 Connie back in October of 2010, and recently moved from Michigan to Dallas (yep Bob, I'm now in your group!) 
I'm asking for a JC Whitney top case for the bike for Father's Day (Fingers crossed), but it just dawned on me that it sounds like I'll need an accessory rack too? 
I have the stock plastic painted cover behind the seat right now; have removed it one time to see what was below it.  If I recall, there is some sort of rack, but I don't know if that's the accessory rack being mentioned or if I need to go get some other mounting rack.

Thanks all!

Dan

The JCW trunk comes with a "Quick release" bracket.  Remove the stock rack.  Get a plastic cutting board from Wally or Fredies.  Cut that to fit the trunk.  Bolt the cutting board to the bike and the brackets to the board.  (reverse that order) If you look around you can find different colored boards.  You may have to get longer bolts to bolt the board to the bike.  You can use the stock rack as a template to drill the mounting holes.  Be sure to use the brackets that come with the trunk.  When I first mounted mine, I just bolted through the trunk and the cutting board and the board eventually broke.