• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Nexx XR1R Diablo Helmet

COGnosticator

Anybody got one?  Seen one?  What do are your thoughts on this one?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/nexx-xr1r-diablo/

I had a Nexx XR1R Carbon but it was too small and I sold it. The regular carbon is a great helmet, very light and the chin vent flows air like no other helmet I have had.  I rode with it last weekend and it was cold when I started out so the face shield fogged up, I opened the chin vent and in a second the fog was gone.  I have never had a helmet do that.  The top vents flow great also.  Pretty quite helmet, but I wear earplugs anyway so I don't really know how quite it is.  To me it is quite.

I am seriously looking at the Diablo but wonder if that leather covering would become a pita to keep clean after riding in the rain or just riding.

Whut y'all think???

I have a friend with a leather-covered helmet like that.  He never had any trouble with it.  I don't know if he'd ever tried to clean it, but it was several years old and still looked good.

I like the look and sound of this helmet. I would like to hear their review on it.  I'm sure the leather is treated so that it doesn't absorb water. They thought of everything else on this helmet. I'm sure rain was part of it.  ;)

The problem I have with most helmets (and most gear and shoes). Is that I like to try things on to see if it fits before I buy it. I have abnormal sizes compared to the average person. So a lot of stuff won't fit me. Helmets being no different. I like to try them on for fit first. I do not like returning items if at all possible. But I don't know of any dealers of this brand in my area. So checking out this helmet could be a problem for me.

I sent an email to Nexx USA with questions about the leather cover.  I doubt I will get an answer anytime soon.  I will make up my mind by Wednesday of this week though. 

Here is the reply I got from Nexx, looks like they are going to save me some money by not getting the Diablo  ::)

Hi Jerry! XR1.R Diablo's leather cover is waterproof; Nevertheless, on more rainy days it is normal that some water might pass through the seams. We recommend to keep the helmet in dry places, specially when exposed to water.  :-[  Thank you!  How the hell do you keep it in a dry place when exposed to water  :eek:

I'm in a fabric sort of mode at the moment, but I wore leathers for years.  I've got all kinds of stuff I'd rub into that leather to keep it in good shape despite all of the exposure to the elements it gets.  If I got a leather helmet, I'd assume I'd treat it the same way. 

Now personally I'm not looking to get a leather helmet, but I wouldn't reject it on the grounds that it should be treated like all the other leathers I've owned. 
th_dunno.gif

If I was following you with that helmet, I would think you had a basketball on your shoulders!

ChipDoc said:
I'm in a fabric sort of mode at the moment, but I wore leathers for years.  I've got all kinds of stuff I'd rub into that leather to keep it in good shape despite all of the exposure to the elements it gets.  If I got a leather helmet, I'd assume I'd treat it the same way. 

Now personally I'm not looking to get a leather helmet, but I wouldn't reject it on the grounds that it should be treated like all the other leathers I've owned. 
th_dunno.gif

Therein lies one of the reasons I don't want this helmet, I don't want to spend the time keeping it treated.  I had a leather Russell daylong and it took a while a few times a years conditioning the leather and the seams