• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

No Cell Service at Fontana Village

richreed701

Not that I care, but it will require some planning. I just checked with the Fontana Resort and there is no cell service there. Too far out in the thules. The nice lady said SOME services are available "at the top of the dam," but not in the village. Also, they do NOT allow long distance calls to be charged to the room, and pay phones are apparrently scarce. For those of us that need to give Sweetie Pie the obligatory "I Made It Safe and Sound" phone call, we'll need to dig out the old calling card.

Thanks for reminding everyone. I've heard a few conversations about this and folks think I'm nuts when I tell them what you just stated. They have been warned.

While there is no cell service at Fontana there is at Stecoah, about 11 miles down NC 28 from Fontana. There is a diner with good food at Stecoah (Stecoah Diner) which is much cheaper than anything at Fontana. An evening trip down there is a very nice ride for food, a phone call, and a nice ride back. Ask me how I know.

Cannot charge long distance to room? What kind of place is this? With all the bluster about how great this resort is, it seems it is in the stone age as far as communications. Have never in past 10 years of traveling have I ever heard of a class place not allowing room phone charges. Hope my spot satellite system works. Can send the "I am here ok" message with it.

it seems it is in the stone age as far as communications. I remember reading somewhere that this place prides itself on its "get away from it all" type of atmosphere, so maybe the stone age communications is by design. There are places like that out here in the Pee Enn Dubya. The spot we used to have the Bun Cooler Rally every spring had one pay phone that only connected to some fly-by-night long distance company and you had to buy a calling card at the local store that was good for 6 minutes for nine bucks. But, incoming calls are free. :)

I plan on using Skype from the lodge. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

From what I was told the Wi-Fi access point is at the lodge only, but it works in the lobby and meeting area. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

From what I was told the Wi-Fi access point is at the lodge only, but it works in the lobby and meeting area. Wonderful. :-(

+1 on the Mini laptop - it fits just right in the side case - even has a webcam! Tom Kerrigan 2000 C10 COG# 8497 AMA Member

I don't consider this environment 'the stone age' as much as a pre-meditated escape from over-connectedness... and a welcome one at that. It wasn't too long ago that areas like this didn't even have land-lines or television, much less internet connectivity- so I find this far from extreme. Good idea on the Skype from the lodge though- that covers the calls home, with video! :p Steve K. '02 Concours 'Locomotive Breath' COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'
2822107220014238429Coipiz_th.jpg
2901812650014238429UfVKJm_th.jpg

Remember this a lodge in the middle of the Nantahala National Forest and just outside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is supposed to be remote. The Wifi workes beyond the Lodge as well. The Recreation Hall which is the center of all of the activities has access, and there are two nice rooms in the Hall where you can sit down and work on your computer; the Card Room and the Library. The wifi works as far away as the Pit Stop (gas station, about 1/2 mi. from the Lodge) where all of the ride routes start and end. The Pit Stop is also the home of the $3.00 16 OZ. beer for apres ride. The cabins are spread out up the hill and while some are probably covered by the wifi (in good weather)all may not be. The registration area is in the Rec Hall and it will be open most of the time. As a matter of fact the evening bonfire is right outside the Rec Hall (across the parking lot) and you can sit out there and have wifi access.

I believe I can make it a few days without the modern convienences, or curses depending on how you look at em. Get you a calling card if you don't have one. And everybody here knows where we are going to be so I figure they can send the Sheriff for me if it's an emergency.

That means U have to get on your M/C & go 4 a ride to make a phone call & the problem w/ that is??? How about just callin home collect as the phone company still allows U to do that 2day right??? Oh ya that is the whole reason to go on vacation is to try to 4get about the stresses of what's goin on at home right??? ----------------------------- Easy Does It, But Do It 09 Triumph Sprint ST aka Black Phantom 09 KLR650 aka Animal 2

Bring it on, baby! It'll be swell to git away frum people yappin away endlessly on their silly fones. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

I agree with Krumgrinder. One of the most appealing aspects of the place is the ability to get away from it all.

One of the most appealing aspects of the place is the ability to get away from it all.
BIG +1 After day 2 in Myrtle Beach last year I quit carrying my cell phone and did not even touch a PC the whole week, and I quit watching the evening news, very relaxing. Like Mom used to say,,turn off the TV and get outside, its a nice day!! CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg