• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NO SPRING FLING!!

wjinks

Road Bike
Spring flings are the greatest! Not All of us want to go to the National. My wife would throw a hissy fit if I left her for a week at the start of summer. BUMMER for sure.

Yup... and it was a difficult decision that the entire NE leadership team had input on.  The rationale was two-fold. 1) The primary NE rally hosts are engaged heavily with national planning and execution. 2) The NE team felt that Spring Fling attendance will be significantly down because the national is only 3 weeks later than traditional Spring Fling weekend.

The team did agree that a no-frills event could be planned for that weekend that would take less effort and risk than a full blown "rally", but no one has stepped up to plan/host the activity.  Any takers?

Well then don't tell her- just say you are running out for a package of cigarettes or something and come back a week later. She probably won't even miss you! :)

What Steve said: most of us who would put on a Spring Fling are going to go to the National in June and so it was just too much strain to try and put on a local event for 50, 75 or more people here (northeast) and then attend the national for a week, and as Steve also said, a lot of us are involved with the national so we have to prepare for that too.

The other problem is that putting on an event at a hotel / banquet facility later in the summer can get very expensive; the one in Westerly had a window of literally two weeks when the prices were reasonable enough for us to stay there and they were open. That same hotel is just out of financial reach all summer long for most of us Coggers.

But also as Steve said, anyone at all can put on a COG event so if there is anyone willing to take on the task and enough people interested in attending, and that could be any number of people really, then something may very well happen around the same time as the national. Or whenever anyone wants to set something up of course.

Want me to have Kirby give Nancy a call? He can be very persuasive.... or offensive: maybe she will throw you out in time to attend the National?  :rotflmao:

Brian

wayne_jenkins_CT said:
Spring flings are the greatest! Not All of us want to go to the National. My wife would throw a hissy fit if I left her for a week at the start of summer. BUMMER for sure.

S Smith said:
The team did agree that a no-frills event could be planned for that weekend that would take less effort and risk than a full blown "rally", but no one has stepped up to plan/host the activity.  Any takers?

HINT...HINT!

Its not too late for someone to step up and host an event.  You can show us how it's supposed to be done! ;)

You know, Terry and Scott did such a great job for the lake George fall rally, do I hear ENCORE, ENCORE??  :)) seriously, I will see how my schedule looks. Maybe something will fit into my schedule. :beerchug:

Terrynyc said:
Its not too late for someone to step up and host an event.  You can show us how it's supposed to be done! ;)

I think the previous Spring Flings have been well done, you are setting a pretty high bar there.  ;)

I understand that the National would take priority. I understand only so many people have the talent  to put on a Fling,or any get to gather.Anything over 2 people I can screw up. I just enjoy the smaller get to gathers. NO one told me"If you enjoy your Spring Fling you can keep it"Or" if you like your AD he will be there". Great job Capt Bob! You will be missed.    No Bad Days               

Wayne... Thanks for always being there to help me laugh. Thanks for understanding.

I think Brian and Greg may be looking to pull something together for fall. Big Ben O has offered to fill in to host some meet and greets In or near Newburgh. In addition, we will redo the Big W meet. I'm also brokering a deal to possibly host some meet n greets and rides in the Putnam/Dutchess region. We will get it worked out over the winter and posted up online and in the newsletter. 

I believe we have the fall rally 2014 and maybe even the spring rally 2015 under way. It is the spring fling 2014 that is taking the hit here.

As a wise man who shall be unnamed here (but his initials are Steve Smith  :rotflmao: ) a COG event can and will be whatever the sponsor of that event wants it to be. And of course the sponsor can be any member of COG: one does not have to be any kind of "official" in COG to put on any events. It usually does work out that way but for the backwards reason: people who tend to get involved with COG enough to put on an event usually end up in some slot w/in COG for the exact same reason- to help out the organization. When Andre and I put on a Spring Fling, we were not AADs or any other title in COG and it made no difference. But back to what a event can be: it can be anything from a meal, to a meal and a ride, a ride only, or a multi- day event. So perhaps this next year we can put on an overnighter somewhere? It does not have to be any kind of "event", it can be whatever someone wants to do. The biggest problem at least here is southern New England, is that summer rates at hotels skyrocket and they are often booked and cannot take on 20 to 80 people on a specific day.

I like all the COG events, small and large but I think the most fun I have ever had in a single sitting was last year when just a few of us went up to Maine for an overnight. While we were outside sitting at a table, a 'clown car' full of drunk Virginians drove up and started spilling out of the car. It was a riot- a small car but like 12 people cam spilling out (and I do mean spilling, falling down, etc.). They ended up hanging around us and provided endless entertainment. And that was a last- minute thing that I think there were all of five of us who went. And Mr. Elkhoof of course.

Brian

Roger M. said:
You know, Terry and Scott did such a great job for the lake George fall rally, do I hear ENCORE, ENCORE??  :)) seriously, I will see how my schedule looks. Maybe something will fit into my schedule. :beerchug:

I was just discussing it with Scott at the show, we need at least a 2 year break for LG.  I prefer 3 myself just so it doesn't get "old", if you catch my drift.  I've thought about maybe trying something up in Lake Placid but haven't really done any in depth recon as to hotels, etc.  I have a feeling rates might be a bit steep there.  I'd love to do something in NH again but I believe there's already something cooking. :great:

Hey Cooperstown might be cool too.  You've got the Hall of Fame and more importantly (for me!) Ommegang Brewery.....arranging 4 wheel transport of course!  DISCLAIMER COG neither endorses nor forbids responsible consumption of adult beverages.  Any and all enjoyment is for when the bikes are parked!  (Did I do good Steve!) :great:

There's limitless possibilities...just a matter of the time! :)

My wife.... when she's been drinking.  :rotflmao:

Brian

OK, gotta ask ... who the heck is Andre?  :rotflmao:
[/quote]

For years,before My joining COG, I planed a trip for mid May, a long weekend trip and same type trip for late Sept. Now that  have retired a day or two more and never on a weekend. Kids in school and during the week there are no crowds. Longer trips, Mexico,the south west or the north west I liked to take vacation and wife. SO if no spring fling, I'll plan my own! AS my wife and I are both over 80 years old and she can no longer go with me, it will be a few day trip. SO enjoy the National and I will see you all at the Fall Fling.    No bad Days

Just for the halibut, I am thinking of doing a weekender sometime in early / mid May to White Horse Gear in North Conway, NH.  :motonoises:    I usually do it in the fall but I am thinking of May so that folks who may want to get any gear, clothes, etc. in preparation for the National can do so in addition to being a nice ride!  I have to check on some motels yet but this would probably follow the same format as the run that Greg & Tracey did last fall.  Will hopefully have more info soon.  Does that sound like something you would be interested in Wayne?  ;D

Putting together a informal Spring Fling together wouldn't take much effort ................

Someone pick a place, find a motel and bingo! You've got Spring Fling.

It doesn't have to be a full fledge rally with all the trimmings.

jason

Yea, Jason has been collecting trimmings over the years....
That's why his Rallies come with "all the trimmings"  :D

memorial day 2014, Marietta Ohio
You could come to this event and call it your Spring Fling

This is not an official COG event:

Memorial Day Weekend
May 24, 25, 26, 2014

Come and enjoy beautiful Marietta, Ohio and the riding in south east Ohio.
Our hotel, the Lafayette is located in-town Marietta, providing us with a great base to not only ride from but also to enjoy downtown.
Shopping, eating & nightlife are all within walking distance!

I have 10 rooms reserved with rates from $63.00 to $78.00 a night.
Rooms are held under Jason Kaplitz.
814 659 6865  or gsjay@kaplitz.com

Lafayette hotel
1 740 373 5522

Big Muskie  Google it or Youtube it

Hey RubberDucky WhiteHorse Gear usually has their spring open house the 3rd Sat in May & if it's 5/17/14 then I'm in for a trip up there & I know a place I can stay already!!! :)

Coop there's a small place that I stayed in back in 2011 that has 8 rooms & really great host  :great: & I'll contact them & set something up to arrive on Fri. & tell them a ride to the Whitehorse Gear Open House on Sat. is a must rain or shine & then leave on Sun & see what they can do for simple dinners for us at the fire pit for both nights  :) & maybe a ride up MT Washington weather permittin  ;) & how many would be interested since space is limited there although there r other places to stay in the area!!! :)

I checked with Greg Habel and he advised that there were about 16 went on the trip last year.  I was actually thinking of doing it similar to his ride (do a Friday night stay over around Wilmington, VT and then cruise up to North Conway and WHG on Saturday).  We would then stay over in North Conway on Saturday night and head back Sunday.  I was looking at alternate routes from what Greg did from Mt. Snow area to North Conway.  It WILL be on the weekend of the 17th (just to many issues for other weekends). 

OK here's what I have so far for the weekend of Fri 5/16/14 to Sun 5/18/14 as a sort of NE Spring Rally for 2014 if u r all interested of goin which will include a trip to Whitehorse Gear for their Open House on Sat mornin rain or shine & possibly afterwards weather permittin a ride up to the top of Mt Washington as weather there is not the same as on earth  ;) & if not just a great ride on NH roads guided by Mike our hotel host so we don't get lost or end up on dirt roads either!!!  :great:  :motonoises:

(1) Room rates of $72 per night & less for the Single Rooms which tax & fees is not included in price although it does included a Continental Breakfast for both Sat & Sunday mornings!!!  :)

(2) A Sat Night BBQ out by the fire pit  I hope weather permittin will be $15 per person or maybe in the garage & yes drinkin is allowed so bring your poison of choice w/ u & smokin of cigars, cigs, blunts, or whatever u call them things is allowed also!!!  ;)

(3) They have 7 rooms w/ 4 rooms w/ King beds, 1 Double bed room which they say is for 2 people, & 2 single bed rooms & I'm waiting to here back from them to see if they'll allow tenting on the property for u die hard bikers & I'll see if u can use the garden hose to wash up at the end of the day if u even wash up!!!  :))

(4) So if there is more then 13 people total & that includes me then I'll ask Mike if there r any other hotels/motels or camp grounds near by that people can stay at near there!!!

(5) The Hotel in Question is in Shelburne, NH on Rte-2 off Rte-16 which is East of Gorham, NH & is called the Birch Bend MotoLodge w/ Mike & Becca being really great host/owners & I know some COG'ers have stayed there before & a great place to stay w/ great host to make the weekend great for everyone!!!  :)

(6) I know it won't have all the bells & whistles of a regular COG Spring Rally although I know it'll be a great weekend there!!!  8)

Oh come on JR it's only a little over 500 miles for ya!!!  :s_laugh:

OK no campin on the property at Birch Bend MotoLodge although there is this place less than a mile down the road http://www.timberlandcampgroundnh.com/ & I'm goin to email them to see if they are m/c friendly & if they will give us a discount as they have some nice cabins & trailers to rent there if u don't want to pack a tent on the bike!!!

All rooms are non-smokin although u may smoke outside w/out bein shot at by anyone I hope as it is Northern New Hampshire  :)) & Mike said that we could do cots or bring your own air mattress in the King rooms if say 3 or 4 guys or gals wanted to share a room that are non-couples, so I guess that means sleepin only in the rooms...  :a012:

So anyone interested in a weekend like this & maybe some people can bring raffle gifts to give away & I'll get the ball rollin & then we can get this on the COG site for people to register!!!  :)

Karl,

Well, I don't know what to say bud as I have gotten the information together and Greg has posted the Whitehorse Gear "Unrally" for that weekend.  Hopefully we will have enough people that want to come so that both groups will be packed!

I am up for either RubberDucky's or Silver Wolf's option :great:
Will be coming over from the Northwest side of the Adirondacks on Friday.  Either way works for me.  Willing to share a room.