• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Nolan helmet

Cap'n Bob

{off topic}

I have two Nolan's (N100E and N103), a Shoei Multitech and a HJC IS-MAX BT. They are all noisier than a standard full face helmet. But I don't find it that much worse. I do find that the amount of wind directed off the shield makes a big difference on them. They are much quieter with the shield very high (out of the wind) or very low (with pure wind on the helmet). But with the shield partial directing wind toward your head. They are all pretty loud. But much quieter when the helmets shields are opened up! IF you need a very quiet helmet, you might be better off looking at a full face over a modular. I don't find it that drastic myself!

Froggz said:
BLANTON said:
I bought a Nolan mod helmet and it is so noisy I wish I could hear the pipe......blanton
Sorry to hyjack the original post but BLANTON, I'm interested in your opinion about the Nolan mod helmet that you described as being noisy (I'm currently looking at modulars and the Nolan is at the top of my list). First, which model is it, and secondly, is it noisy at all speeds?

Thanks,

Thanks for the input Cap'n, I've always had full face helmets in the past but the modular helmets seem to have come a long way from when they first started. I like the flexibility of being able to flip it up when you enter a city on a hot summer day or when you stop to gas up, you don't have to remove your helmet to have a drink or a little snack if needed. I'm leaning towards the new Nolan N90.
Any thoughts or recommendations by others would be greatly appreciated. ;)

A modular has two advantages.  The first is that you don't need to take your glasses off to put on your helmet.  The second is that you don't need to dismount to pick your glasses up off the dirt / road/ mud puddle after they slid off off whatever surface you so carefully placed them. :-[

I had an N100 for years.  When the liner finally wore thru at the forehead, I bought an N-103.

I went down wearing the 103... and every part that came off the helmet - side panel, top vent, sunshade... SNAPPED RIGHT BACK ON  8)

'cept for the big scrape across the face... it (looks) fine.

Replaced it with another 103  ;D

BJ_CT said:
A modular has two advantages.  The first is that you don't need to take your glasses off to put on your helmet.  The second is that you don't need to dismount to pick your glasses up off the dirt / road/ mud puddle after they slid off off whatever surface you so carefully placed them. :-[

:))  Isn't that so true!

I have the N90!  Absolutely love it!  Would buy it again. 

I wear earplugs, so the wind noise doesnt really get to mee too much.  And like the Cap'N said, it isnt that much different.  I was sold on the full face until i recieved the N90 as a gift.  There's no going back!

Have Fun, Ride Safe!

Cap'n Bob said:
{off topic}

I have two Nolan's (N100E and N103), a Shoei Multitech and a HJC IS-MAX BT. They are all noisier than a standard full face helmet. But I don't find it that much worse. I do find that the amount of wind directed off the shield makes a big difference on them. They are much quieter with the shield very high (out of the wind) or very low (with pure wind on the helmet). But with the shield partial directing wind toward your head. They are all pretty loud. But much quieter when the helmets shields are opened up! IF you need a very quiet helmet, you might be better off looking at a full face over a modular. I don't find it that drastic myself!

Froggz said:
BLANTON said:
I bought a Nolan mod helmet and it is so noisy I wish I could hear the pipe......blanton
Sorry to hyjack the original post but BLANTON, I'm interested in your opinion about the Nolan mod helmet that you described as being noisy (I'm currently looking at modulars and the Nolan is at the top of my list). First, which model is it, and secondly, is it noisy at all speeds?

I've heard the same about modulars but the Schuberth folks claim quiet (at least lately) but at $700 its an expensive try out (for $700 can you return them?).

I use a Fulmer full face because it's light and affordable. Still need ear plugs. I'm not convinced there is a huge safety difference between what I use and a Shoei.

Thanks,

I have had several helmets over the last few years (I like to replace them every year and relegate last years helmet to be a passenger lid)

Here are my thoughts.

Shoei Multitec -Current Lid

Fit and finish are nice, the latch mechanism for opening the flip lid is pretty good,  the venting is very good however it does have a tendency to fog when sitting in traffic
Not very noisy IMHO when compared to other flip up lids.

HJC SyMax II

Decent lid for the money but I wouldn't buy it again, venting is not so good,  feels solid but a bit noisy IMHO and pretty heavy compared to the rest,  fogs up the worst of any helmet I've ever owned.

Scorpion EXO 900 Transformer
Heavier then some, but not that bad,  liners are easy removed to toss in the washing machine,  Has inflatable cheek pads which really help with fit and finish,  Venting is decent,  and they tout this as a helmet that wont fog, and the thing is it really didn't when new,  you do need to keep the sheild CLEAN or it will fog, but when clean it really is the best I've seen in that regard...  Noisyier then the Shoei but not by much.

However, the noise is a moot issue for me now as I started wearing custom molded earbuds that cut a LOT of road noise...

HTH

Mad River Marc said:
HJC SyMax II

Decent lid for the money but I wouldn't buy it again, venting is not so good,  feels solid but a bit noisy IMHO and pretty heavy compared to the rest,  fogs up the worst of any helmet I've ever owned.

I will second this.  mine fogs up as soon as i stop in almost any temp below 65.  once moving it clears.
but it does fog alot.
i noticed that if i turn my head slightly, i can reduce the wind noise a bunch.

Hey Cap n Bob, N 102. Perhaps I was expecting too much. I was coming from 3/4s. Two resones I went mod, the article in our mag about "Dress for the slide not for the ride" and an easy to use sun shade. I have no other mod experiance.........but man is it noisy........blanton

By the way I like the fit. I have allways bought Lg. but a med felt realy good. I wore it 30 min. in the Kaw shop before I pulled the $312 trigger. (trying to support my local shop).....blanton