• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

North Cascades Hwy - July 8th

Daboo

I'm not sure if the registration for the event went through or not; all I get in Brave and MS Edge is a blank page after submitting it. Hence this post.

Date: July 8th
Time: 7am for Breakfast. 8am, kickstands up.

Description:
This is an out and back ride to Washington Pass, or NF-500 on the North Cascades Highway. Bring a lunch. We will not be stopping for food at the turnaround point.

I'm planning that we'll meet at Denny's for breakfast at 7am. Kickstands up at 8am, and fully fueled. Traffic will start to pick up after that point on a Saturday, so it is worth it to be on the road as early as possible to have the road clear before you.

Depending on availability, I plan to make a few stops along the way. On the way East, we'll focus on riding the road and enjoying that experience. We'll eat lunch at the Washington Pass Overlook. It's about a quarter mile walk from the parking lot to a view that'll take you awhile to just soak in. It makes a good lunch break point when I ride this, both for time and location.

On the way back west, all the pull-outs will be to your right, which makes it convenient to concentrate on the scenery.

Depending on time, we'll take a couple side trips to the Diablo Dam and the town? of Diablo. Mosquito Lake Loop and the Oso slide memorial are also potential stops.

I'm hoping for someone to ride Sweep who has a BT intercom, so we can stay in touch.

Chris

No one has expressed an interest to go on this ride, so I'll give it till Wednesday. If no one signs up by the end of Wednesday, I'll cancel the ride and go on Friday ...somewhere cool. ;) Traffic is less.

Chris

I have an ongoing ride commitment (since 2001) on the 2nd Sat with the Oly RAT group.
Keep posting rides please.

Jeff Beecher and Andy Niemer joined me at Denny's for a great breakfast and start of a wonderful day of riding.

As promised, we rode out on Hwy 530 till it met up with Hwy 20 in Rockport. NF-500 is the Washington Pass Overlook. Pretty phenomenal point of view.
XrtI4xk.jpg

I'm not sure what they are talking about. Maybe Jeff was showing Andy how to remove the gas cap??? ;)
ICZmkaj.jpg

On the way back, we stopped at the Diablo Lake Overlook. As Jeff said, "I think I've taken this picture before".

03IMJgY.jpg

rDABXP4.jpg

Our motley crew:

beXxy7V.jpg

Chris

Thanks for organizing and leading this ride Chris. It was a great time.
And thanks for the pictures - as always!
Andy