• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

North GA RTE - June 29

Tom NWGA

Howdy! Got a hankering for another RTE in the hills of north Georgia?  Well, say no more, hop on your bike, and meet and greet us at the Pink Pig in the metropolis of Cherry Log, GA. You'll want to get directions via Google, MapQuest, GPS, etc., because, trust me from experience, this place is off the beaten path.  Here's the website: http://www.budspinkpig.com/index.html

Meanwhile, there's some GREAT roads betwixt me and there, and I intend to sample them on the way. Those interested in meeting up to take in the scenic route over Fort Mountain to get there and coming back down through highways 382 and 136 to Nickelsville are requested to give me a PM with:
1. your name,
2. your cell phone number
3. your email

Simple enough! Be sure to register on the SE COG calendar so's I can get a decent headcount.
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=188066&mo=6&tDate=%7Bd%20%272013-06-18%27%7D

Look forward to seeing one and all!

BUMP de hump that is Fort Mountain! Got one rider so far to go along. All are welcome, just register and let me know you are interested so's we can set the meetup.

A bit off-topic, but I'm heading up to Commerce, GA next month for the SCRC Ga Rally...and would love to see and possibly ride your routes. 

In fact, I'm coming from Boynton Beach, FL, and need to make the trip in a day, but if you have some good roads that will get me there quickly instead of using busy highways, please let me know.

My email: mark@palmbeachsoftware.com - and thanks in advance!

Thanks for the routes, guys!  I'll be at the Southern Cruisers GA Rally next month - 18-21, if anyone else is going, let me know.  If you're not familiar with the Southern Cruisers, it's a great club, all makes and models welcome, it's free, and really great folks.  I ride with them because they're really great in groups and ride safely.  I'm sure there's an SCRC chapter near your home...

Hey, guy 'n gals!

Just a reminder that this event is this Saturday at noon. Got a few goodies to give away courtesy of COG and one lucky rider will be getting a free meal courtesy of our host! Ride a lot, meet up with friends old and new, and someone gets free food - sounds like COG to me!!

Need a headcount by Thursday, so please REGISTER:  http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=188066&mo=6&tDate=%7Bd%20%272013-06-18%27%7D

See ya there.

And oh, by the way, for those interested in taking a scenic approach to the trip, I'm planning to meet John and be kickstands up and leaving the Kangaroo Express in Chatsworth, 102 E. Fort Street at 11 AM sharp for a run over Fort Mountain before lunch. Should help whet the ol' appetite!  >:D

I plan to leave the Quick Trip in Gainesville  make that OAKWOOD on Hwy 53  Hwy 129 @ I-985 at 10:00 am. See y'all there!
Ron

UPDATE for DIRECTIONAL CHANGE:New meet up is QT in Gainesville @ Exit 22 at 10. (Easier directions for out of towners). :motonoises:

I'm gonna try to make it, but could not access the sign up link above. Do I have to be a dues-paying member or something, to be eligible? I frequent this forum, but have never officially "joined" or anything. I just enjoy riding my C14, and reading about C14-related topics whenever I can. I learn lots of stuff that way.

Anyhow, I like to ride, and I like barbeque, so I may see y'all either in Chattsworth, or somewhere along the way to Cherry Log.

I'll be coming from Collegedale/Apison, via Cohutta and Beaverdale, if you know where any of those backwaters are. Probbably take Ga 2, east to 411, then south to Chatsworth, then 76 (?) east over Fort Mtn. I may see you guys at the Chatsworth Kangaroo. I'll stop if I see you there. I'll be the guy on a Neptune Blue 2010 C14, in a hi-vis yellow helmet, jacket, and gloves. My buddies tell me I am so bright, I can be seen from outer space, LOL!

ATGATT,
CW

CW, will be more than happy to have you come to our little shindig. Thank you for posting to help me with the headcount. Gotta warn you, though, that encouragement to join COG may come up.... :))

Volcantour said:
CW, will be more than happy to have you come to our little shindig. Thank you for posting to help me with the headcount. Gotta warn you, though, that encouragement to join COG may come up.... :))
Chet should be ready to join. I sent him a copy of the Concourier and have extended an invitation to join after. With a lot of involved members in attendance, and the quality of riders there, this should be an easy sell. Good luck.    Al

... "quality of riders there, "  Aren't Tom and Kurt gonna be there? ???  :rotflmao:  :motonoises:  :great:

Ranger Jim said:
... "quality of riders there, " Aren't Tom and Kurt gonna be there? ???  :rotflmao:  :motonoises:  :great:

Absolutely!! :beerchug: And so are Ron, David, Gary, John, Phil, Jay, Chet and three guests.  :great: Sent invites to folks nearby in SC, NC too, but they're not showing up...Have a free meal for the rider coming the longest distance lined up, too...Oh, well  :nananana:

Almost missed this one.  Sorry I'm not on here as often as I used to be.  Last minute sign up but I'm in.  I'll be pulling out of Columbus GA around 6:30am.  Anyone want to me meet up enroute?  If so PM me.  Love them North GA mountains.  ;)

Michael, 2-3 of us are meeting at exit 22 on 985 in Gainesville at 10 if you want to join us. The earlier post said Oakwood, but NOT Oakwood. It's Gainesville @ exit 22 QuickTrip at 10.
Ron

ron203 said:
Michael, 2-3 of us are meeting at exit 22 on 985 in Gainesville at 10 if you want to join us. The earlier post said Oakwood, but NOT Oakwood. It's Gainesville @ exit 22 QuickTrip at 10.
Ron

Sounds great I'll plan on hooking up with you guys at 10 off of exit 22 at the Quicktrip then. I'll PM you my number so we can stay in contact in case things change.  Looking forward to meeting with everyone  ;) 

Mike,
Have a group also meeting on the west side of the state at Chatsworth at the Kangaroo Station (turnoff to route over Fort Mountain, 102 E. Fort Street) with kickstands up at 11 AM sharp for a run over Fort Mountain en route to Cherry Log and lunch.  Coming from Columbus it's your decision.
Tom
ph. 706.766.7526

Saint_Arc said:
ron203 said:
Ron

Sounds great I'll plan on hooking up with you guys at 10 off of exit 22 at the Quicktrip then. I'll PM you my number so we can stay in contact in case things change.  Looking forward to meeting with everyone  ;)

Hi Mike. Got your message. Love to have you. From Columbus, I-85 to 285 to 75 to I 575/Hwy 515 splits the east/west routes and takes you straight in, but as Tom says, your call, so unless you tell me otherwise, see you @ 10.
Ron

Had a great time today, everyone! Great weather, great roads, lots of new friends.
Thanks for letting me join in the fun!

CHet

I am sorry ,but I guess I showed up a little too late. I saw you guys heading out and I guess I followed (I am sorry but I am not good with names) the gentleman from Douglasville till he turned off and I kept heading down 575.I had to get some plastic put on my bike and I got late leaving the bike shop. Tried my best to get there but couldn't make it in time .(NOTE TO MYSELF..RESCHEDULE EVERYTHING ELSE IF I HAVE REGISTERED FOR AN RTE.)I was riding a red Busa. :mad: 

WOW! Great day for riding, eating, and seeing old and new friends. Thanks to all that came to the Pink Pig in Cherry Log, GA.  :great:

I met up with Jim Campbell, John Albright & Debbie LaFollette, and Chet 'Atkins' Logan in Chatsworth. John, Debbie and Chet live "North of the Border" whilst Jim and I are natives (sorta). Had a good time getting to know one another while waiting on a certain Hayabusa rider from Jim's neck of the woods who promised to show up. No Busa at the appointed time, so up and over Fort Mountain we went on our way to lunch. Beautiful day for a ride as the temps were middling 70's and the humidity became noticeably lower as the day wore on (and the elevation went up!). Got to the Pig a bit later than the group from Gainesville led by Ron Simmons and the sundry others that made it: Mike Roelofs, Robert Sutherland, Daryl Barber, David Phillips, Allen Cosby, Kurt Brown, Russell W., and Gary and Kelli Jarocha.  Samantha and her staff at the Pink Pig had reserved a room for us to swap tales and catch up from our last gatherings. Those present (still no 'Busa!) were treated to door prizes courtesy of COG which included one free membership to ROK, several emergency notification kits, and a winning (fake) lottery ticket. And kudos to the management team at the Pig who provided one free meal. This went to Mike Roelofs for traveling the furthest distance (192 miles one way from Phenix City, AL).  Mike, by the way, is shipping out for a year's deployment in Korea within a matter of weeks. We wished him well and thanked him for his service. 

We had our fill of excellent BBQ and all the fixings including gallons of tea. After the hearty meal, we sauntered (rolled) out the door to gab some more before getting the group picture and heading out our separate ways. It was at this very moment that the heretofore mentioned 'Busa made it to the door...  Better later than never (or is it "Better never than late"?), Jay!  :))

Kurt and I headed back over Fort Mountain, others were headed up to the Old Copper Road, and still others by Riders Hill. All in all, a good day to be riding, and a great time to be a part of COG!

Jay said:
I am sorry ,but I guess I showed up a little too late. I saw you guys heading out and I guess I followed (I am sorry but I am not good with names) the gentleman from Douglasville till he turned off and I kept heading down 575.I had to get some plastic put on my bike and I got late leaving the bike shop. Tried my best to get there but couldn't make it in time .(NOTE TO MYSELF..RESCHEDULE EVERYTHING ELSE IF I HAVE REGISTERED FOR AN RTE.)I was riding a red Busa. :mad:

Nothing to be sorry about, except the exceptionally hard time you will be receiving at the next gathering as you try to explain why a 'Busa couldn't keep up with the Connies.... :)

Tom, thank you for organizing this event. It was lots of fun. The Gainesville Gang met up at QT in Gainesville and were joined by Red in Dawsonville. Beautiful day in the mountains.
Ron

Had a great time yesterday meeting up with everyone at the Pink Pig for some awesome grub and some awesome riding up in the northern GA mountains.  :beerchug:  Ended up riding back on Hwy 60 with Ron Simmons before getting on Hwy 400 and then back to Columbus, GA.  Great weather and roads with the exception of the tar strips during cornering.  :mad:  Can't push it as hard with those pesky strips and of course with these darn stock tires still on had to take it slower.  After 4500 miles they are ready to go with either the Angels or PR3, still haven't decided.  :motonoises: 

Thank you everyone for the support and safe travel wishes as I prepare to depart for Korea here in the next coming weeks.  Hate leaving the family and the bike for a year but duty calls.  :'( 

Hey David can you send me a link for the web site you order your brake lights from.  Really love that setup along with the lower day running lights you have on the front.  The more visibility the better.  :)

Good luck Mike. Stay safe and let us know how you're doing "over there."

Maybe David will post that link on this thread, that was a pretty cool light bar.
Ron

David_Phillips_GA said:
Mike, Here is the address  http://www.swps.com/index.html
  The light is TIR-3. I hope this helps.
Great to meet you Mike. If you have any problems with the link let me know.
Stay Safe  :motonoises:
David.

It was a pleasure meeting you as well.  Hopefully we will run into each other again sometime. 

Thanks for posting the link for the brake lights.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I'm ordering a set tonight and hopefully have them installed by the end of this week.  I recently removed the old fender and installed the Muzzy fender so I'l have to figure out a new way to mount this light, either way it will find a home somewhere on the back of the bike.  Are those Cree LED running lights on the front?  Thanks again!!! :)

Saint_Arc said:
David_Phillips_GA said:
Mike, Here is the address  http://www.swps.com/index.html
  The light is TIR-3. I hope this helps.
Great to meet you Mike. If you have any problems with the link let me know.
Stay Safe  :motonoises:
David.

It was a pleasure meeting you as well.  Hopefully we will run into each other again sometime. 

Thanks for posting the link for the brake lights.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I'm ordering a set tonight and hopefully have them installed by the end of this week.  I recently removed the old fender and installed the Muzzy fender so I'l have to figure out a new way to mount this light, either way it will find a home somewhere on the back of the bike.  Are those Cree LED running lights on the front?  Thanks again!!! :)
Mike The fork lights are Piaa 1100x driving lights and the under mirror lights are piaa 1400 fog lights. These were
lights that I all ready  had. While these are very good lights, I think LED would be the way to go.
David.

Man, I leave the area and Jay can't even make the very next ride without me...  My apologies Tom, I thought I had trained him better than that!  I sure wish I could have been there! 

Great to hear from you, Brian! We did miss your presence at the event. Hope all is well with the transition for you and yours.  As I was doing the write-up I was wondering if you might enjoy the opportunity to offer further instruction to your junior officer-in-training  :))