• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Not sure its considered a "Drop"

saelle

Tricycle
So I woke up this morning to find my beloved Connie on the ground.  After  a quick inspection I only found minimal damage to the front fairing which I can fix but I had a few questions. 

1. Is there anything mechanically that I need to check before I try to start her up again?

2. Does anyone know a good source for touch up paint for a 2003 red Connie?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  This is my primary transportation and I need it back on the road as quick as possible.

Thanks in advance. 
Eric

I would leave the choke/enhanser off and bump the starter in short bumps until you are sure you have turned the engine a full cycle.  Then try to start it if there does not seem to be anything stopping the cylinders like hydrolock.  Once it starts shut it back down and check the oil level.  If it is for sure way more then it should be I would change the oil.  It could have gas in it.

Oh that sure is a terrible feeling, Eric - when you walk outside and there she is on her side.  Glad the damage is pretty minimal.  And your incident does qualify you for the CDA Award except for one thing.

You need to be a full COG member.  Don't worry, we don't make you drop her again after you've joined in order to qualify!  Most folks join if they hang around a while and like what we do here, so just drop me a line after that happens and we'll add you to the roster.

Just to avoid confusion, here are the instructions: How to Convert from Forum Subscriber to Full COG Membership

I may be mistaken, however I believe that I paid the membership fee.  Is there multiple levels of membership with different rates?

I don't doubt you Eric, but I have to wait until the COG# appears under your avatar on the left-hand side of the page.  Because this (like every other job around here) is done by volunteers rather than by computer, it sometimes takes a while.

Incidentally, you will have to log out and log back in again in order for your COG# to be visible to you.

No worries,
I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss something.
Thanks for the tip of logging out and in again.  Worked like a charm.

Mike,
My only option for parking it is on gravel in the alleyway.  I am not cool enough to have a garage so its what I got.  I think it was a combination of the gravel and somewhat high winds last night.  My wife thinks it was the neighbor kid playing around on it but I will never know.

Picks of the damage.  Mostly just scratches but the cracked fairing scared me at first.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D8FDFF4D33DD17FA!659&authkey=!ACsh6Yy0_Ze6QkE&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D8FDFF4D33DD17FA!662&authkey=!AJ98N6IE27tY4Fc&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

And after the repair.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D8FDFF4D33DD17FA!661&authkey=!AItRL-8RUNDtEFE&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

I've got a dirt floor in the garage behind my house and a piece of plywood makes a wonderfully stable place to park.  No room for a full sheet?  A piece just big enough for the stand to rest comfortably is really all you need.  Looks like you did a great job with the repair too!

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 534th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:

0530 C10 Michael Molohon
0531 C10 Frank Dunlap
0532 C10 Keith Toby
0533 C10 Scott Mitchell
0534 C10 Eric Stewart

If you haven't started her yet, pull out the air filter and check for fuel in the airbox and filter. If you find fuel, dry it out as best possible. Then follow the advice given by smithr1.

I want to thank everyone for their help with my drop.  I have followed all of the advice and have actually been riding quite a bit and the bike runs just fine.  There is an interesting issue that I have noticed since the drop and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar problem.

Lately when I ride the bike seems to get very light on its tires around 55-60 mph and the problem increases as speed increases from that point.  I'm sorry for the poor description but i can think of another way to say it.  It feels like the bike is floating a bit and really responsive to the slightest amount of wind.  I feel as if I am being blown all over the road. 

I'm not sure if I bent something underneath the fairing so it no longer sits strait, or if I am just being over critical.  Any input on this would be great.

Thanks
Eric

Eric,
Sorry about your joining the club within the club, and nice job on the repair  :great:
Sidestand pad might be all you need. You can find these lots of places, or just make one out of plywood as was suggested. Since you recognize you're not cool already, using a piece of plywood won't bother you :)
Can't be of much help about the lightness.

Welcome again!

Jorge

Do your tires have a groove right down the middle?  I don't care how good the deal is, if a tire has that design, I always pass on it because for me, those tires produce a sensation very like the one you described.  It's not actually dangerous, but you might try a different tread pattern the next time you get Connie some new shoes.