• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Of Beemers, Drives, and Rok

whdunn4

Tricycle
I bought a K1200LT about 2 months ago, with 13,500 miles on the clock. On Friday, on the way out of Nashville (I live in York, PA) the final drive went south, this was at 15,500 miles on it. No warning, it just felt like we were getting a flat tire. I love the LT, but if I were looking to buy one I would definately have the final drive rebuilt by one of the guys on the BMWLT forum, in the off season. It seems that BMW, in their infinite wisdom, put too much pre- load (too many shims) on the crown bearing in the drive. As it is, I am flying into Nashville tomorrow, and one of those rebuilders is going to drive 100 miles on Saturday morning, install his loaner drive on my bike so I can ride it home, and rebuild my drive at a very reasonable price, GREAT GUYS over there. When the drive went we were 1 mile from an exit on I-40, we limped down the burm and into a McDonalds parking lot and called ROK. The operator asked if I was in a safe place, arranged for towing, and found a place that would store it until I could get back to pick it up. I believe she stated there is a $250 limit on the towing. Within 3 hours of the drive failing, we were towed, the bike was stored, and we were on the road in a rental car. There are truly some kind, generous indivduals in the world!

Hi Wes, sorry about the trouble but glad things are getting worked out. I've been reading about BMW final drive failures for years now. They have to know it's bad so why won't they do anything about it? I like their bikes but for the price you have to pay this final drive problem is not acceptable. Maybe they have fixed it on the newer models but still it lingers and it has to effect sales. Good luck.

Wes:

I have to agree with you on the BMWLT guys and also their website.  As for your final drive, your description of it going out was exactly like my experience, only I was half a block from home.  I had a totally new drive put in and put another 30k+ before I sold it.  I loved riding it out on the highway, but in town it got to be a bear to handle, so I'm back on my connie (almost full time) but still looking for something even lighter.

BTW, what year is yours, mine was a 2000 and it went out at 31k.

Hi folks!
I currently ride a 2006 1200LT.  I love all the features and I get a lot of compliments on the bike.  The only downside is the cost to service and repair.  I just had a 12000 mile service and a new tire installed........the total for this was just over $1700.00.  I am hoping that nothing goes wrong with this bike.  There is a 4% failure rate on the final drive according to the BMW Luxury touring site.  I will probably look at parting with it in a year or two.  I Like the look of the connie and would like to take one for a spin some day.  How easy are the Kaw's to service.......oil and filter etc?    Many years ago I purchased a new Kaw KZ1000 LTD.  1977 year.  Great bike and was quick.
Cheers,
Jim

Jim:

What dealer did you go to?  My dealer of choice was BMW of Atlanta.  They do good work and they don't rip you off.  I got a 36k tuneup and also a RD replacement for only bit more than you paid for a service.  Now as for what you can do to the LT, far more than you think.  Join the BMWLT website, they have far more tricks than the dealers.  You can do almost everything the LT requires, that is all but the valve adjust.  And if you had a set of shims, you could do that also.  The hardest part of working on it, getting the plastic off, doing the works is fairly easy, then you have to put all that plastic back on, pita. 

The connie, you can have its plastic off in less than a 4th of the time it takes to get the LT's off.  You can perform all the work it might need and they are very reliable.

Now how do I know this, I've had both, an LT and a connie.  I still have the connie.    :) 

Thanks John!
I am up in B.C. Canada so there may be a slight price difference in labour and parts.  I am also a member of the bmw site and yes, there are some great tips for do it yourself wrenching, but I chose to get this major service done by an experienced dealer mechanic.  They might find things that need attention which I might miss.  I used to do all the oil and filter changes on my 89 Venture Royalle, but this LT requres a lot more time.  As I eluded to I may just sell it in the next year or two and look at the concours instead.  I wonder if the US dealers will sell a Canadian a new Bike.  I know some of the other bike brands will not sell a new bike to Canadians. 
Cheers,
Jim  :beerchug:

Jim:

you wrote:  "I know some of the other bike brands will not sell a new bike to Canadians." 

Now that to me is insanity, what would be their reason?  Did they make a deal with Canadian dealers to not sell US bikes to Canadians? 

As to the LT, for two up riding I don't think you can beat it.  But for one up, the old C10 cannot be beat.  Now the C14, it has some expensive dealer work also, plus it is not easy on tires.  But it is smooth and powerful.    :)

You guessed it John!
When we purchase a US car or bike we are required by our registrar of imported vehicles to get a recall clearance letter from the manufacturer.  BMW in their effort to protect the Canadian dealers, advised all their US dealers not to supply Canadians with this letter.  I had to go to a Canadian dealer and for an extortion fee of $500.00 I would get a recall letter from BMW Canada.  Right now there is a class action lawsuit against BMW for this practice. 
They are the only company that does this.
Cheers,
Jim