• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ohlin Rear Suspension

ONE LUCKY SOB :D

Attended the Southeast Area Meeting this past Friday at Bike week.  Great to meet the members - Good conversation and comfortable crowd - really nice first experience - Also Great Chili Pat and Jim!!

Walked away winning an Ohlin Shock for the C14!!!!! :-\    Mounting it this coming weekend and will post the process of swapping out the old for the new, and then will post the ride experience over the weeks that follow. Very Optimistic!

Lucky to a point, and I'll explain.  Its like winning a hundred grand on a slot machine.  You'll never be happy with anythign less again. The good, aftermarket shocks prove how badly the stock shocks work.  You'll now want an Ohlins or Penske for every bike you even glance at.

Yes, it's the kiss of death for stock suspensions, so to save you all the suffering, just send it to me, as I'm "The Pope", I can handle it.  :)

Congrats again, and thanks for coming!!!!

If you don't like it for ANY reason, there's a spot for it on my C10!!!

Since getting the ECU reflashed I'm now finding that my engine is writing checks that my OEM suspension can't cash. I'm really missing the Ohlins shock. I may have to start saving up for one.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Since getting the ECU reflashed I'm now finding that my engine is writing checks that my OEM suspension can't cash. I'm really missing the Ohlins shock. I may have to start saving up for one.

Like many things in life Fred, once you've had it good it's tough to go back...  :mad:

They retail for a bit over $1000.00.  I have Ohlins on my RC51 front and rear. Great stuff. my C14 will have one on the rear shortly.

Penske makes a great shock as well for a few hundred less. One nice thing about Penske is there are many different people who build/rebuild and tune them.

Another cool thing abotu Penske is you can often have a shock for a different model re-built, or parted up, to fit an entirely different bike. Traxxion is currently working on my old sv650 shock and turning it into a Concours 14 shock.

My Penske (8983) was built by Traxxion and I paid $820 after shipping and a shock sock.  It is so much better than stock, plush yet very controlled and sporty.  I compare it to the difference between the stock tires and then going to PR2/PR3 or Angels.  The greatest thing is that a rebuild only costs a little over $100 (can't remember the exact number).

Jeremy said:
My Penske (8983) was built by Traxxion and I paid $820 after shipping and a shock sock.  It is so much better than stock, plush yet very controlled and sporty.  I compare it to the difference between the stock tires and then going to PR2/PR3 or Angels.  The greatest thing is that a rebuild only costs a little over $100 (can't remember the exact number).

Thanks Jeremy ! ...... Sounds like the way to go !!

rcannon409 said:
Lucky to a point, and I'll explain.  Its like winning a hundred grand on a slot machine.  You'll never be happy with anythign less again. The good, aftermarket shocks prove how badly the stock shocks work.  You'll now want an Ohlins or Penske for every bike you even glance at.

So true. This is the first bike I have ever put after market suspension on, but it will not be the last  :beerchug: