• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ohlins C14 forks discontiuned

Just Cliff

I was considering going with the full Ohlins setup so I called Kyle racing today to check on pricing. I was told the forks have been discontinued & no longer available for the C14.    :'(

Anybody else that was consirdering them I guess we're out of luck!

Cliff  :beerchug:

Just Cliff said:
I was considering going with the full Ohlins setup so I called Kyle racing today to check on pricing. I was told the forks have been discontinued & no longer available for the C14.    :'(

Anybody else that was consirdering them I guess we're out of luck!

:017:

Are you sure? They are ZX14 forks, I can't imagine why they would stop making em, that's still a big market...

All I know is what the man on the other end phone told me & yes I did quiz him about it. So if somebody knows something I don't, please fill me in.
I was told they'll revalve/rebuild them for $675.00 ea & the rear shock was $1096.00.

Just Cliff said:
All I know is what the man on the other end phone told me & yes I did quiz him about it. So if somebody knows something I don't, please fill me in.

Well I guess that means mine were a good investment then and are now worth even more, like rare gold!  :) ;)

For real though, keep checking ebay for ZX14 Ohlins forks, I'm sure a set will pop up, and even if not perfect Dan can rebuild and service them.  :great:

ZG, do you have a part number? It's possible he wasn't crossing them over to a ZX, since I asked for C!4. I'll call back.

Just Cliff said:
ZG, do you have a part number? It's possible he wasn't crossing them over to a ZX, since I asked for C!4. I'll call back.

I know for a fact they are FGRT style forks, and you buy the ZX14 fork and put different springs and valving in them to handle the additional weight of the C14.

One problem might be, and I say might, Ohlins may be going to ZX14R forks, which are not interchangeable with pre-2012 ZX14s afaik.

Or they may be in holding mode, due to the economy, and due to the fact the ZX14R may turn out to be just a step to a totally new flagship street rocket for K.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
There's always Traxxion. I love mine, big improvement.

+1

I sent a message to the tech guy at Traxxion and got a response the same day, laying out in detail my options, prices, and explaining how they will match my weight and riding style. High confidence level in them right now......

Fred, so you have no regrets going with that combo? If you had it to do over, would you do it again? You know what kind of roads I'm stuck riding on here in Arkansas!

Just Cliff said:
Fred, so you have no regrets going with that combo? If you had it to do over, would you do it again? You know what kind of roads I'm stuck riding on here in Arkansas!

Yea, I think you'd be happy with it. It adds the ability to adjust compression damping, and I believe the cartridges are of a much higher quality, and they use straight-rate springs as well. They also have a COG discount.

Just Cliff said:

I think it was FGRT807‏ if memory serves me correct...

I just checked Kyle Racing, they no longer list the ZX14 fork, but they are no selling the ZX14R fork, which won't work for us.

If anyone just has to have an Ohlins fork, now would be the time to call Kyle Racing and see if they have any "in the back" and check on eBay.

I decided to just go with Traxxion's AK20 Cartridge Kit and the Penski 8983 shock. They will build them to my weight etc. And I think I'll just ride down to GA and let them install it all.

Its 9 hours from Hagerstown down the slab, I could almost do that but will make it an overnight each way.

JR said:
I decided to just go with Traxxion's AK20 Cartridge Kit and the Penski 8983 shock. They will build them to my weight etc. And I think I'll just ride down to GA and let them install it all.

JR - I just did the same thing - Traxxion AK-20s and the Penske 8983, so we can compare notes on setup once you get yours installed.  Mine are installed but still waiting for a snow/sand-free opportunity to try them out and make some adjustments. 

Tim

Tim Anderson said:
JR said:

JR - I just did the same thing - Traxxion AK-20s and the Penske 8983, so we can compare notes on setup once you get yours installed.  Mine are installed but still waiting for a snow/sand-free opportunity to try them out and make some adjustments. 

Tim

Excellant, Tim !

My plan after getting confirmation from Dan Anderson at Traxxion is to ride down, have them install, have them set it up, and then be done with it. They know I am 1-1/2" lowered and will make it work for me, so I don't bottom out or get a harsh ride, but don't raise the seat height either.

These are really good folks, as far as I can tell.

Anyway, Dan just told me they can do it in a morning, and have me go bomb around for a while in the mountains, and come back for tweaking. I call that capital SERVICE

JR said:
I just checked Kyle Racing, they no longer list the ZX14 fork, but they are no selling the ZX14R fork, which won't work for us.

If anyone just has to have an Ohlins fork, now would be the time to call Kyle Racing and see if they have any "in the back" and check on eBay.

Its 9 hours from Hagerstown down the slab, I could almost do that but will make it an overnight each way.

JR,
Before you drive down the slab you may want to check with Dan at Motovation Cycles just down the road from you.  I had him install the AK20's and rear Penske in my Goldwing a few years ago.  They were a certified Traxxion installer then, and according to their site they still are.  I had a great experience with them.  I would not hesitate to have them wrench on my bike.

http://www.motovationcycles.com/motohome/index.cfm

I haven't priced the Traxxion rear shock, but I suspect it's cheaper than the Ohlins. I have a Traxxion Penske rear shock on my Wing and I love it.

TJ said:
JR said:

JR,
Before you drive down the slab you may want to check with Dan at Motovation Cycles just down the road from you.  I had him install the AK20's and rear Penske in my Goldwing a few years ago.  They were a certified Traxxion installer then, and according to their site they still are.  I had a great experience with them.  I would not hesitate to have them wrench on my bike.

http://www.motovationcycles.com/motohome/index.cfm

This is most excellant advice, thank you so much !  :great:

On sort of the same subject, Galfer USA just responded to my request for their ss braided kit for the ABS front brakes, and they offered me that kit with +4" on the hose to the master cylinder, plus clutch at +4" plus rear hose for $181 which is pretty good.

Their kit has the fittings for the ABS pump pipes and everything.

Taking a cue from ZG, I asked them to give me gold sheathing.  :great: :rotflmao:

JR said:
On sort of the same subject, Galfer USA just responded to my request for their ss braided kit for the ABS front brakes, and they offered me that kit with +4" on the hose to the master cylinder, plus clutch at +4" plus rear hose for $181 which is pretty good.

Taking a cue from ZG, I asked them to give me gold sheathing.  :great: :rotflmao:

:great: :beerchug:

What color are you gonna do the banjo's JR?

FYI, here's some info from when I did mine:
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,33424.msg169378.html#msg169378

ZG said:
JR said:

black

JR said:
ZG said:
JR said:

black

So its all coming together slowly.

Phil is making me a set of 4" handlebar extenders, and 1" extended bars, and Galfer is making me the ss braided hoses for the front, clutch, and back.

Not sure I can get it done before NE Spring Fling, but if not, soon after.

JR,
Just a heads up, the clutch is a pain in the a%# to bleed, and removing the factory line was no fun.  The brake was no problem but the clutch required a mity vac and a LOT of patience.  Those 4" extenders by Phil will get you situated well.

Just did my front brake and clutch lines. New Galfers. No problem with the Mity Mite pump. Make sure to do the master cylinders first then the lines.

TJ said:
JR,
Just a heads up, the clutch is a pain in the a%# to bleed, and removing the factory line was no fun.  The brake was no problem but the clutch required a mity vac and a LOT of patience.  Those 4" extenders by Phil will get you situated well.

I did the clutch hose on my ZX14 so expecting somewhat the same. I have a good vacuum bleeder that has helped serveral times when I changed first hose length and then to full 2-line on my ZX14.

But... I really can't wrench much anymore. I can do emergency stuff like plugging / airing a tire, or picking a bike up, and I can dismount and change tires.

So I am paying Twigg to put everything on. They aren't charging me all that much, considering the time it will take them to install front ABS, clutch, rear, and the handlebar extenders. It would take me a month to do it.

But twisting wrenches and such is just getting too painful. Almost 2 decades ago my knees, ankles, shoulders forced me out of being a fair machinist, right before the beginnings of CNC and digital instrumentation. Now I can use a wrench or screwdriver for maybe 15 minutes and then I'm done for a few hours.

Which is why I value my friend's time, the fulltime machinist who does little projects for me.

Fortunately, sitting on and riding a motorcycle is something I can still do reasonably well, which is why I am retiring around June 2014 so I can ride the USA while I'm still able to do it.

So getting all this stuff done before then. COME ON VA..... give me my back pay so I can pay the bike off.  :rotflmao: :motonoises:

Got the box from Galfer today. Pretty quick for custom lines.

The rear brake hose has the clamps on it already just like the OEM. I may cut sections from silicone tubing and put it between the clamps and the line. Did that on my ZX14.

It just doesn't seem like enough hose in front, lol, but I know it is. The ABS just uses several short sections instead of the long lines of a 2-hose non-ABS front.

Now I got to save up to have Twigg install it for me, I am seriously unable to wrench anymore. I could plug a tire, change a tire, wash the bike  :rotflmao: but my days of getting down on my knees and turning a wrench are gone.

ZG said:
FWIW the Spiegler site show's they have the Ohlins forks in stock, not sure how many sets but worth a call if somebody is interested...

http://www.spieglerusa.com/hlins-43mm-road-track-fork-set-6456.htm

Apparently when they are gone, they are gone, so good find, ZG !

It makes sense, why make a very expensive fork for a model of ZX14 which is being abandoned in large numbers for the 2012+ new-tech?

And the market for C14 replacement forks isn't big enough to pay one of their salaries for three months.

JR said:
ZG said:
FWIW the Spiegler site show's they have the Ohlins forks in stock, not sure how many sets but worth a call if somebody is interested...

http://www.spieglerusa.com/hlins-43mm-road-track-fork-set-6456.htm

Apparently when they are gone, they are gone, so good find, ZG !

Yep, agreed JR, the only thing more rare than gold is discontinued gold... I'm half tempted to just buy em as a spare set to hoard in case I ever need em in the future...
??? >:D

ZG said:
Yep, agreed JR, the only thing more rare than gold is discontinued gold... I'm half tempted to just buy em as a spare set to hoard in case I ever need em in the future...
Ya, ya buy another set, I'll hold on to them for you.  :)

Gumby said:
ZG said:
Ya, ya buy another set, I'll hold on to them for you.  :)

:)) :)) :))

ZG could buy them and have Kyle call me and set them up for me, and I'd be real easy on them.

Of course, then he'd never get them back. But he can afford it.  :rotflmao:

JR said:
ZG could buy them and have Kyle call me and set them up for me, and I'd be real easy on them.

Of course, then he'd never get them back. But he can afford it.  :rotflmao:

:)) :)) :))

I ended up going with the Traxxion stuff. AK20's in the front & Penske in the rear. Just arrvied yesterday, hope to get it installed this week. With right at 77,000 miles on the bike, the ride had become just short of brutal & aggressive cornering was a challenge. Needless to say, I'm expecting a HUGE improvement also!