• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ohlins fork owners

B

bigbaldy33

I just retired and decided that since I've got a lot more time to ride my own bike and I'll miss riding as much as I did on my job (CHP motor officer on a 2011 Concours  :great:) I would buy an Ohlins suspension for my 2009 Connie. I got the forks (thanks Dan Kyle Racing) and when I compared them to the stock ones, the overall length of the Ohlins was about an inch longer than the stock forks. The mounting instructions say to measure how much the forks stick up above the upper triple and do the same for the Ohlins forks. If I do that, the front end will raise up a percentage of the 1 inch height difference. Wouldn't it be better to measure from the bottom of the tripple to the center of the axle to get the same ride height...or at least closer? How much do you have sticking above the tripple to the top cap on your Ohlins forks?

Thanks

BigBaldy

I'd follow Ohlins instructions, they been doing this a long time, maybe they built in more sag, progressive travel, etc...their game is top notch. I just installed they're shock, I don't have much seat time- I'm away on an assignment and the weather has been pretty awful here in the NE, but my first impressions are that I really, REALLY like it!

:)

Mark,
I think I'd have to go with your idea of maintaining the original height, i.e. axle to lower triple clamp length. That way you maintain the rake/trail ratio which dictates handling. Just be sure to set proper sag the same as on factory forks. IHMO.

Michael

Hi,
      I have a friend that is a BMW Mechanic/Instructor,  that is now retired, that helped me install my Ohlin's bits. ;D

We actually talked about this, and set my forks pretty flush with the top clamp, just like the OEM was! >:D >:D >:D

Yes, I would not try to second guess...... OHLIN"S!!! ::)

Works great and you are going to love that C14 even more!!! :great:

As far as "Ohlin's Fork Owner's"....not many in this crowd! :(

You might try the "I-BMW" Site! :-X

Attachments

• bbbb.jpeg
    bbbb.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 144
Well, I figured out that I have to go with Ohlins recommendation. I took my steering head bearing out and replaced them with tapered bearings so I had the handlebars off of the upper tripple.  When I put the Ohlins in originally, I set it up with the same distance to the bottom of the triple to the centerline of the axle just like my stock ones. Well, the top of the Ohlins forks stick way out of the triple and don't allow for the handlebars to go on. So, I've decided to go with what Ohlins says and place them flush with the upper triple like the stockers.

Thanks for all of the input guys.

Try Ohlins directions first.  The final position will be determined by the spring rate, preload (typically near 0 for them) and designed wheel travel. 

Update:

I forgot to post after I completed the install. I mounted the forks per Ohlins instructions with the tops level with the upper triple (it has to be close to this anyways due to the top of the forks coming into contact with the bottom of the handlebars). The forks are so long that the rear tire touches the ground when the bike is on the center stand. Not good. I just recieved the shock today from Ohlins and I'll install it tomorrow. My concern is that the forks are so long that the bike is going to steer like a chopper....very slow if the front end is as high as I think it is. Did anybody have this issue before with the ZX-14 Ohlins forks? Does anybody know the difference between the stock Connie forks and the stock ZX-14 forks? I just want to know that I'm going in the right direction.I know that eventually I will figure it out because I imagine that I'll have to take them off and send them back to Dan Kyle to see whats up. He just wants me to mount the rear shock to see where everything sits before modifying the forks.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Can anybody who has the Ohlins forks give me a measurement from the bottom of the upper fork tubes (where the fork seals are) to the axle midline so I can see how mine compares?

Again....Thanks

BigBaldy

BigBaldy said:
Update:

I forgot to post after I completed the install. I mounted the forks per Ohlins instructions with the tops level with the upper triple (it has to be close to this anyways due to the top of the forks coming into contact with the bottom of the handlebars). The forks are so long that the rear tire touches the ground when the bike is on the center stand. Not good. I just recieved the shock today from Ohlins and I'll install it tomorrow. My concern is that the forks are so long that the bike is going to steer like a chopper....very slow if the front end is as high as I think it is. Did anybody have this issue before with the ZX-14 Ohlins forks? Does anybody know the difference between the stock Connie forks and the stock ZX-14 forks? I just want to know that I'm going in the right direction.I know that eventually I will figure it out because I imagine that I'll have to take them off and send them back to Dan Kyle to see whats up. He just wants me to mount the rear shock to see where everything sits before modifying the forks.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Can anybody who has the Ohlins forks give me a measurement from the bottom of the upper fork tubes (where the fork seals are) to the axle midline so I can see how mine compares?

Again....Thanks

BigBaldy

BigBaldy said:
Update:

Again....Thanks

BigBaldy

There's very little difference between the ZX14 forks and the C14's. Primarily compression damping adjustment and, of course, stiffer springs to compensate for the extra 150+lbs of Connie. So when the bike is off the center stand, does the stance look wrong? I have a stock set of Z14 forks I could measure, I think they may well be 0.25" longer than stock C14's, but I believe they're very close in total length and people have simply put in stiffer springs and been happy with the added adjustability for improved ride/handling.

Rick and Baldy,
The difference between the stock and ZX14 forks is .900 inches in length. I have ZX-14 (with AK 20 cartridges in them),  forks in my connie and had to raise them up this amount to keep the geometry the same.
Matt

mattchewn said:
Rick and Baldy,
The difference between the stock and ZX14 forks is .900 inches in length. I have ZX-14 (with AK 20 cartridges in them),  forks in my connie and had to raise them up this amount to keep the geometry the same.
Matt
Matt, Just to be clear for me, the extra length is in the upper tubes and not caused longer extension in the lower tubes?

G,
The extra length is in the lower tube on the ZX forks. The upper tubes were identical as I recall. I also seem to remember a different spacer arrangement between the two forks now also.
Matt

Matt, could that length difference be compensated for with a different spring/spacer arrangement?
Gary

G,
Almost certainly, Would come down to the availability of a shorter spring with the same rates.  Probably not cost effective on such a small quantity though.
Matt

The C14 spring is too short. While it might physically fit. it would not perform the way it is supposed to in the longer leg. Think about when you hit the gas and the forks top out. You would have a big drop when you let off creating an unstable transition.
Matt

Got it. So the thing to do is what you started with and raise the tubes in the clamps. Takes me awhile sometimes.  ::)

I recently upgraded from my 08' C14 to a 11' C14 ABS.  I removed my Ohlins shock and forks and thought they would just swap over.  NOT so.  My 11' ABS sensor does not fit the right lower fork.  It is a completely different unit.  I bought an 08' ABS sensor and spliced the lower into the 11' upper plug.  After finishing all of my modifications, I started my bike tonight for the first time, only to have a ABS warning light on my dash!!  The computer knows it is not the same sensor.  :mad:  What do I do now?  Sell my forks?  Rebuild the stock ones with Ohlins guts?  Does Ohlins make new fork lowers for the 11' and up model that fit the new style ABS sensor?  I can have the fork rebuilt with the correct lower if it is available.  It seems the zx-14 ABS sensors are the same as the 08'-10' concours sensors and the 11' and up Concurs ABS sensors are specific to the Concours.  Any suggestions?  I shelled out big money for these a few years ago, and love them, and need to continue using them.  It is way too easy to overwhelm the stock forks on a vigorous ride, where the Ohlins just go about doing business.

BTW, the 08-10' rear shock fits the linkage fine, but the remote preload adjuster will not fit the passenger peg mount with out drilling the mount holes, and grinding a little bit of the bracket to allow the hydraulic hose to fit. 

I hope you guys can give me some guidance.

Thanks 
Jordan

jordan, I've got you answer and it's not as difficust or as expensive as you might think.

I've got Ohlins on my 2011 C14 and I got an adapter block to make a modified 2010+ ABS sensor work. So if you have the ability or access to someone who can machine you a little adapter block, I've got the drawing for what you need (see attachment). All that you'd need to modify on the ABS sensor is to cut off the three little ribs so that it can slide into the block and the mounting tab. The ABS sensor is retained in the adapter block with two set screws and the whole sensor/adapter assembly is then bolted to the fork.  :great:

pm me your email address and I can send you photos of my setup.

Attachments

• ABS_Mount.pdf
    33.6 KB · Views: 148
Hi,
      I'm not on my PC now, but....

If you look at the pic of my bike, you will see what I did.

Although what Pope has is the better Mouse Trap....

Even owning a BP Mill and a Lathe.

I just made a mount out of aluminum sheet metal.

Not that hard drilled a hole for sensor close and then punched three divots at 120 degrees close to edge.

This tightened up the hole to hold the sensor.

Two holes drilled for the attachment screws and I was riding!

Never got any fault on the computer and ABS works fine! :great:

Attachments

• tumblr_ob30hzCdBt1rk3uido1_500.jpg
    tumblr_ob30hzCdBt1rk3uido1_500.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 138
Hi All,

I almost thought I was going to have to sell my forks.  Pope hooked me up with a great design.  I sent it to my machinist at 6:30am and he had it done by 12:30 pm.  It was in my hand by 5pm!!  I had to sell my 08' Concours at 6pm, and the new mount was installed by 7:30.  The modification to the ABS sensor was super easy.  I used my original one that I had to cut up for my test fitting.  It fits perfeclty.  I am now waiting for a new one to arrive early next week that will be working.  Should only take 15 minutes to install and be on my way.  Last night I finished buttoning up my new to me 11" Concours.  Gonna take it for a test ride and more tomorrow!!  Cant wait.  It is looking good!! Thanks for all the help guys.  I couldn't have done it with out Pope, and the technical drawing.  J :great:

mattchewn said:
Rick and Baldy,
Matt
Matt, I have ZX-14 forks on my 09 (with cartridges and springs from GP Suspension/KFG Racing) I was not aware and did not notice the difference in length and mounted them flush like the OEM connie forks. I have not noticed any handling issues but I am going to raise them .900 inches per your post and see how they feel.

Just to confirm, you are talking about .900 difference between OEM connie and OEM ZX - not OEM connie and Ohlins?

Lather,
Yes. Stock Connie Vs Stock ZX. .900 inches longer for the ZX forks. Your tip in and corner cutting should improve quite a bit a after you move them up.
Matt

mattchewn said:
Lather,
Yes. Stock Connie Vs Stock ZX. .900 inches longer for the ZX forks. Your tip in and corner cutting should improve quite a bit a after you move them up.
Matt
I was only able to raise the ZX fork 4mm. The cap hits the bar riser base at that point. For what its worth I compared the ZX and ZGR upper tubes and they are the same length.

Going for a ride to see if I can tell any difference.

Attachments

• ZXFork.jpg
    ZXFork.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 113
Lather,
The upper tubes are interchangeable between the two. The lower leg is where the extra length is. You need at least 1 inch risers to raise the fork tubes up enough.
Matt

mattchewn said:
Lather,
The upper tubes are interchangeable between the two. The lower leg is where the extra length is. You need at least 1 inch risers to raise the fork tubes up enough.
Matt
That is what I suspected. Do not want risers but looks like a little grinding would make the OEM risers work. However, I am not inclined to make any changes. Went for a ride and feels sublime as is. As far as I'm concerned handling leaves nothing to be desired.

Lather,
Come to RWTW and you can take mine for a spin to feel the difference. I'll have brand new rubber on her also.
Matt

mattchewn said:
Lather,
Come to RWTW and you can take mine for a spin to feel the difference. I'll have brand new rubber on her also.
Matt
Thanks for the offer. Would love to take you up on it but have a conflict. Going to the MSTA Bull Shoals rally (MO) with some friends that weekend. Gotta admit as good as the roads are in the Bull Shoals Lake area, I like the North GA roads better. But sharing rooms with some good friends, don't want to back out.