• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

oil pan question

wparvin

Bicycle
anyone know what the torque spec is for the oil pan bolts? They are very small & I'm guessing they are inch lbs vs ft.lbs. Did a search on the forum & didn't find anything, a Google search didn't find it, a call to the dealer was a joke (man was alone & IF he can find a service manual he will call & let me know, this is a BIG dealership, I know they have a parts computer because I have been forced to buy some things from them before & they pulled it up on a computer). This is for a 2003 Connie

There is no torque spec for those little chaps. From memory 4 or 5 of them need locktite on them (they have little wedge symbols on those that need it) also it needs a little bead of gasket sealant in 2 places too. Simply hand tighten them all evenly then tweak each of them up so they are firm. There is no load on the pan so it does not need to be over tight.

I have a factory service manual, & the torque is not called out for that part. However, there are other plugs that use copper or aluminum crush gaskets & they all range from 13 to 18 foot pounds. Hope this helps. Don P.S. the normal wisdom is to use new crush gaskets, or to anneal them to remove the "work hardening" that happens when they are crushed. (torque & crush washer info also applies to banjo bolts) OOOPPPSSSS!! I thought you said OIL PAN DRAIN BOLTS---------- 6 mm shank size (usually 10 mm head size) will range from ~7 ft/lbs for the real short ones to ~11 ft/lbs for the longer ones

Thanks Colinp386, that's probably why I couldn't find that info anywhere, you would think the dealer service man would know that but I suppose there's too many models/numbers/specs for him to know that off the top of his head.

another question, can the pan be dropped by removing the oil lines & those bolts? Clymer has you dis-assembling half the bike