• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Old Man considering a Saddle Sore 1K up to the joint NW/SW Reg

OMoaC

Longest day so far was an 800 miler into JC for the '14 Nat. Anybody wanna come out and play? https://goo.gl/maps/axtxD

So did you Iron Butt it on the way up Old Man?

I couldn't make the rally, but I did end up doing 600 miles on Friday - to Lee Vining through Dyer (for coffee, of course.  ;D) and back.  Worst problem was that the ride back from Dyer to Pahrump was 200 miles in 95-100 degrees.  That was tiresome.

I'm toying with the following lap of Southern/Central Nevada for our own 1K:  :eek:
- Henderson
- Caliente
- Ely
- Fallon
- Silver Springs
- Hawthorne
- Tonopah
- Beatty
- Pahrump

In the fall or spring of course.

Attachments

• boonies-small-1.jpg
    boonies-small-1.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 112
Brian & Mark,

You two keep us updated on plans here.  My buddy Smiley and I, here in SLC, keep toying with the idea of doing this.  The route we planned for just us two is an out-n-back (1,082 miles)...

-SLC
-Wendover
-Ely
-Fernley

Although, I suppose we could make a loop, taking I80 back at Fernley (1,049 miles).  I like your route better though.  I've been on most, if not all, of those roads before... but not a jillion times like I50/80...bleh.  :-[

Keep us in the loop!
:motonoises:

Mike

To me the key is roads that are pretty empty.  Note that except for Vegas, there's no cities there.  I avoid Reno and even Carson City.

CaffeineMan said:
To me the key is roads that are pretty empty.  Note that except for Vegas, there's no cities there.  I avoid Reno and even Carson City.

Brian,

Empty roads is certainly one of the two major factors as we see it.  The other, not overly twisty like many of the roads we have up here. Average speeds always suffers on twisty roads.  So really, should be a piece of cake route wise, physically...another story I'm sure.  :eek:

Mike

MikeB said:
Brian,

Empty roads is certainly one of the two major factors as we see it.  The other, not overly twisty like many of the roads we have up here. Average speeds always suffers on twisty roads.  So really, should be a piece of cake route wise, physically...another story I'm sure.  :eek:

Mike

Exactly.