• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

options for tail bag?

themadchef

hello all i have a 18 connie, what would you suggest for a tail bag! not looking to spend 500$ for 47 liter top case! i saw a saddleman bag but i dont think it would fit, i like something that would sit on the luggage rack, any ideas would be great!

thanks the chef

themadchef said:
i have that! but i am looking for a bag i can mount on the luggage rack, behind the passenger seat!
Aye. Strap it to the rack. I have the Kawi hard bag on mine. But comes at a cost. Are you looking for a hard bag then? Shad and Givi seem to be the winners. Look at phils rack or ast as a replacement for the OEM plastic rack.

Here's what I'm using. Works great storing small items such as snacks, sunglasses and other misc items.

https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-Black-CL-1060-S-Sport-Tail/dp/B00RGQ1OJW/

themadchef said:
hello all i have a 18 connie, what would you suggest for a tail bag! not looking to spend 500$ for 47 liter top case! i saw a saddleman bag but i dont think it would fit, i like something that would sit on the luggage rack, any ideas would be great!

thanks the chef

This is what I use...always with or without hard bags. Soft side, pockets for phone and glasses/wallet, expandable. Easy on/off. Two sizes available. Mine is the "Dowco Iron Rider" but just use their search and others are available similiar with better reviews for just $71.00 bucks. Plenty to choose from on Amazon, good reviews and free shipping. Happy hunting! I would post the link, but it shows my account info.

IMG_20190406_101514016_zpsdvx1wwey.jpg

IMG_20190129_192637379_zpswipzbobf.jpg

IMG_20190406_095113535_zps0lqne4hk.jpg

i like all the bags pictured, but i like something that doesnt take up space on the passengers seat! can these bags fit on the luggage rack. So when i go 2 up riding with a passenger, i can have something other then a top case. i dont want to spend 500 plus $$ on a top case, i like something i can pop off and be more portable but strapped to the back rack.

thanks the chef

Tundra said:
This is what I use...always with or without hard bags. Soft side, pockets for phone and glasses/wallet, expandable. Easy on/off. Two sizes available. Mine is the "Dowco Iron Rider" but just use their search and others are available similiar with better reviews for just $71.00 bucks. Plenty to choose from on Amazon, good reviews and free shipping. Happy hunting! I would post the link, but it shows my account info.

IMG_20190406_101514016_zpsdvx1wwey.jpg

IMG_20190129_192637379_zpswipzbobf.jpg

IMG_20190406_095113535_zps0lqne4hk.jpg

IMG_20190113_143804642_HDR_zpsdv8u7x31.jpg

will this bag fit on the rear rack? leaving room for a passenger?

Most {if not all} of the hard bag/Trunk bags mount on the luggage rack similar to the Kawasaki bag.
Murph has a nice one for less $$ than Kawasaki.

Members have located trunk bags everywhere.
There are so many versions available that I'm not sure there is a stand-out preference in the club.
My guess is the Givi is the most used...
  Ebay/Amazon, etc, etc,, etc,, carry many brands.

Do a search of the forum under trunk bags/hard bags/etc and you will see lots of versions.

Ride safe, Ted

themadchef,
Yes, it can be mounted on the rack. It mounts with adjustable straps and quick release buckles.

Tunda, thanks i plan on getting your type of bag you have, i can pack clothes for a week ride and get fast access to small items! when i get the bag ill post pics of it! also thanks everyone for your input!

Look at other options on Amazon under motorcycle tailbags, many different styles available hard, soft, large, small. Mine is the smaller of the two sizes available. Some very well rated at half the price of what I paid. Also check out Revzilla, Twisted Throttle, Cycle Gear web sites to name a few. I would personally go larger if your packing for a week.

Agreed, I enjoy the fast access to small items the side pockets are great for that.

Old Man on a Connie said:
Get a good dry bag and some ROK straps

^^^^^What he said!!!! ;D
I have a 40l Givi drybag and ROK straps, and love the setup. Much lower center of gravity than a top case.

Even tho I been using a 42Liter Shad trunk for 14 years, I find you simply cannot beat a bunch of good quality DryBags, in various sizes... I have a bunch of them, and even when not "packing them" for my trip "out", I still carry them folded up, for things "bought on a trip"... along with a bunch of straps, you simply can't go wrong...
They also come in very handy, even with a trunk, and passenger; they can be strapped on top of the side bags on either/both sides, and the Pillion is still comfey...

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-boat-bag?a=2194269

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-dry-duffel-bag?a=2194268

I also have a bunch of "compression sacks", (both waterproof, and non waterproof) which we use during packing... really makes for a condensed load for week long trip... and come in handy for stuffing "dirty clothes" into for the return home...strap them on the sides, and not worry about the contents...

of course, the $$$ spectrum holds the Wolfman bags at the top of the list, they are GREAT stuff... but you pay $$$ for less storage/capacity... but, you "look cool" when you own them... no doubt...
https://wolfmanluggage.com/collections/all-motorcycle-bags/products/beta-plus-rear-bag

I'm not about looks, easy loading, huge capacity, and easy carry are what I go for...

I have a wolfman large dry bag and i have used it many times! its just a pain to unroll it and dig around to get things on the fly! so i am going to try the soft tail bag, its actually a luggage rack bag, comre to think of it, i may just bring both of them, we will see!