• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

OtP 2019 Nominee announcement

OMoaC

Congratulations on your nomination and accepting the challenge upcoming. This is half the fun and let the campaigning begin
Nominee                      COG number    Area
Ed Palmer 12154 SE
Kurt Brown 7115 SE
Dan Paulsen 2877 NW
Rich Riczinger 5977 NC
Cliff Burnettte 9547 SC

Voting will open 14 Feb and close 3 March.  To vote send along with your COG number (only members and associate members are allowed to vote as well as GCE/GTR members in good standing) to OTP.USA@cox.net Donations to help support OtP can also be sent via paypal using the same email acct.
I sincerely believe that each and every one of you is deserving to join this very small group of riders that have had the opportunity for a trip of a lifetime. I am very proud of all of you. Now march forward and let the FUN begin!
Best of luck
Mark Hartman
Servant to OtP

Congratulations to all of you. The adventure begins NOW !

What I wish for is a fair but committed election campaign of the candidates.
Everything is allowed that makes the voters vote for you.
(Except maybe buying votes)
But especially a little public picking is welcome.
No lies and no body checks please.
And please always stay fair and friendly.
Do not forget promisses like, "i will bring and pay all the beer to the hosts"..
This maybe will increase votes from europe...
Let the election campaign begin.
Good luck again to all of you. ;D

:wee_hee: Concratulations to all 5 candidates  :whoo:

So many wants to do their „trip of a livetime“

Voting opens from February 14th
In the meantime
- nominees can introduce themselves
- voters can ask questions
- all can send donations or bids for the running OTP auctions

Americans, please send your donations via Paypal to OTP.USA@cox.net,
Europeans, please use GTR1000@t-online.de

gsun said:
Tom and Jami are both nominated? Isn't that vote splitting?  :)

Yes, it is vote splitting... {But not quite in the way you may mean?}
    ie; We have 8 candidates that accepted the nomination, so the votes will be split 8 ways...
          Only 1 Winner will be going "OtP"….

Bottom line; Every vote becomes MORE important...

Ride safe, Ted

:))  OTP...DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP... DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP :)  :))

Americans, please send your donations via Paypal to: OTP.USA@cox.net,
Europeans, please use Paypal to: GTR1000@t-online.de

First question... are all candidates here ?
I assume now !

Hello my dear nominees/candidates !

As you can imagine, it's not that easy to get a ticket for the trip once in a lifetime.
It will be a rocky and difficult road. But don't worry, we are with you.

To enable every voter to get a picture of every candidate, even if he/she doesn't know them all (like me for example),
I have 10 questions for each of you:

(Please answer seriously)

1 What qualifies you in your opinion for coming over the pond?

2 Which three destinations are on your list if you are chosen as a traveller?

3 Much more interesting, which three destinations would not be important to you?

4 What do you think of the saying: "The way is the goal"?

5 What experience do you have as a motorcyclist?

6 What was your longest journey (time or miles) on a motorcycle?

7 How important is it to you to get to know different people and countries?

8 How do you feel about traditions, for example tasting a local delicacy, at over the pond?

9 How would you react if you got a vehicle that didn't meet your expectations?

10 What promise would you fulfill if you would come over the pond?

And so that you do not think so long... You only have 48 hours to answer !

Please remember that your answer may mean one or the other vote for you.

And off we go ...now !

:))  OTP...DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP... DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP...DONATE...OTP :)  :))

funsize said:
So many choices.  All of them are great!

Irene

Irene/others, I have a better idea; I suggest a write-in vote. <evil plan/grin>

NOTE: The Candidate list was published yesterday and none of the Candidate's have posted their information for the voters to see.
        This "posting" is one of the major requirements of being an "OtP" Candidate.
            As they failed to meet the requirement, and I did {see below} I suggest a write-in vote for a deserving non-candidate...

My "Posting".
        I am Ted.
        I've been a member of COG for 18 years and helped run "OtP" for 16 of those years.
        I've owned 4 Connies and have rode motorcycles for over 50 years...
              (Not old. "Experienced"...)
        I want to go to "Yurup", again...
        I'm pleasant looking and I have an extremely pleasing personality.
        I should win and go "OtP" as I won't be here to bother all of you...
          Write-in a "Vote for Ted".

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Please don't tell Jim/Mark/Bernd/Hans that I suggested the write-in vote for "Ted" as I may receive another Flogging on the Flog-Ohhh-matic..  :-[

eifeltwister said:
To enable every voter to get a picture of every candidate, even if he/she doesn't know them all (like me for example),
I have 10 questions for each of you:

(Please answer seriously)

3 Much more interesting, which three destinations would not be important to you?

8 How do you feel about traditions, for example tasting a local delicacy, at over the pond?

And off we go ...now !

Andre,

Here are the quick answers to your questions:

I am a AAD for the South East for approximately the last 5 years, 2016 COG National Rally Master, hosted regional rallys, RTEs & Socials. Supporter of OTP.

Germany, Austria & Italy (and possibly France & Switzerland) Yeah, that is five, so basically the Alps

Difficult to choose as all the EU countries have something to offer but for this trip I would say Norway, Sweden & Finland.

I would relate it to the saying: It is not the destination but the journey.

My first vehicle was a motorcycle when I was 16 years old, been riding for 41 years.

Have taken a several 2 week rides out west, approximately 6,000 miles each

Very important. One of the things I like about COG is making friends with COG'ers across the USA & Canada. This will give me an opportunity to expand to the EU.

While I will honor the "tasting" tradition, I probably will not enjoy it. More then likely it will come back up but I am up for the task so have your camera's at the ready!

Should not be an issue as long as it is reliable.

To enjoy the journey, make new friends and assist with the OTP program when I return.

Kurt Brown

eifeltwister said:
Wow !
It was so fast, i did not get your real Name  :D
Sorry for that.
Thanks, your answers are counted !

It is Kurt Brown. I’ve added it to the end of the post but it is in the upper left hand corner under my forum name “Motocommuter”.

Looking forward to meeting you!! 😎

Hi Kurt,

thanks for answering André‘s questions.
It helps us to plan (f.e. ordering Surstrømming  :-\).
If you will win the poll, i’m sure, you will come back for another (private) otp adventure.
Skandinavia is also worth to be visited, but this is another story.

Now we are waiting of some introductions of the other 7 nominees!  :72:

from Richard Riczinger, COG#5977

A: As a COG member since 8/2003 (when first traveler Guy came back to work, at the company I was transferred to), when I heard about the OTP program, I was astounded and wanted to participate. I became a COG member, and began an avid proponent of both COG, and the OTP program, donating $$ many years for both sides, to make the trip. I actively worked within COG to share my mechanical knowledge, and when I was appointed as Technical Editor, gave as much a humanly possible, to assist everyone that needed help on this bike, and continued into the new C14 release, 24/7/365 (hours/days a week/days a year) and still, currently am an avid adviser on any and all aspects of fixing/maintaining/and increasing the owner experience. I have worked actively in national rally "mode" on 2/3 nationals, and many, many, area rallies, that I attended. Always asking upon arrival "what can I do to assist?".. I've met a "few" travelers, and enjoyed spending hours with them, and even thru financial hard times, have always wanted to "go OTP". Having taken myself out of the "running" in 2015, because of $$, my timeclock is sadly running out to accomplish this.
ONLY thru the support of the hundreds of people that have sent me "thank you" letters, a a result of helping them with the Concours motorcycle's repairs, would this be possible;
IF they all cast a ballot in my name. 

2 Which three destinations are on your list if you are chosen as a traveler?

A: I simply can't pick just 3... all of them are exciting, a side trip to Budapest, where my father was born, would even be "frosting on the cake" so to speak...

A: again, I don't find any of them to be unimportant, maybe if I had to say one, travelling the length of Italy would be the one that I could pass on, but all the rest are to be seen...

A: I think I get what you are saying, and think of it as "wherever the roads lead you, are why it is so much the adventure", and with that, I've always found the interesting places, are the one's you find "en route", the destination in reality, "IS the route" we all seek.

A: I've been "riding" for 50 years now, and have raced both Moto_X and Road courses in my younger years, and campaigned a Drag Bike(which I have owned since 1978) for a number of year also...I think last count was over 30 bikes I've owned/possessed since I began riding...
since 2003, I have pretty much settled into the sport touring mode, and currently own a highly customized '88 C10 (the second of 2 I owned), a 2008 C14, and my '78 KZ1000Ltd..
I've ridden in every state east of the Mississippi, from Florida, and up into Canada, northern Provinces, since I began riding.

A: tough question, time wise, maybe 3 weeks,living "on the bike", but mileage wasn't extraordinarily high... maybe 4k miles,
I have done a dozen or so equal mile trips, with my wife, and or alone, in a week or so tho. I HAVE done 700 mile days.. but man, that gets tough....

A: extremely important, I've always striven to meet, and spend time (as much as allowed by whomever I met/meet) to share customs, experiences, and most of all humor, a we are  all so different, but also "so the same".
In my employment, I have had great opportunities to do this with people from all over the world, that came here, from Asia, Korea, Japan, Ukrain, many diverse places, and get great pleasure from every meeting.

A: BRING IT ON... no problem, ask Hans, Walter, Richard, any other OTP travellers I've met... Ted makes funny faces, and runs... I stand in line, and keep coming back till the can is empty... (I really don't get how squeemish some people get, about "Strommin...")

A: I have no "expectations", so if it starts, runs without dieing, has wheels and tires, and stops when it's asked to, I'm in for the win..
and, If someone has tools, I can fix it...
I'll bring my electric jacket, and a plug.. and install it if needed...

A: I will firmly promise to abide by the newly written requirements, and actively support by action, for 2 years following, and then as long a possible. I'll also attempt to record, and share everything I do, and my experiences, daily by documenting, and further promote the shared experience over here, both in person at whatever event I am attending, and in written dialog of the chain of events, and forward all of the writings to someone on your side, to share/translate and enjoy.

you got it man, glad to post.
let Hans know to start the "strommin" purchasing..

Response from OTP nominee:  Danny Paulsen COG 2877

First and not a surprise, My honor would be a trip of a lifetime.  Being a COG ambassador is the honor.
The dedication to COG as a member of 21 yrs COG # 2877 and as a WA AAD for 18 yrs.
Events attended and hosted, Rally Master by me including NW regionals.
  Hosted 60 NW events over the years of many, many day rides and weekend rides plus,
wrench/BBQ sessions in my shop, multiple XMAS parties in my home and at no host restaurants, 20 years hosting The Volcano Ride.
Have a '87 parts bike that I offer replacement parts to COG members at just shipping cost.
Have ‘rescued’ COG members with truck and trailer.
Have given assistance to COG members traveling on the road needing parts, tools and a tire.

2 Which three destinations are on your list if you are chosen as a traveler?

The Alps, the Alps, the Alps. Germany, Italy, France. These are what impresses me the most when I read the adventures of those who have ridden there. As having ethnic origins of Germany that would be a thrill.

Least important maybe (??) because I have less knowledge of the terrain , Norway, Denmark, Sweden.

The wonder and beauty of many of my travels is thru lands previously unknown to me to get to a destination.

I exactly and clearly recall my first experience  in 1960 as a 10 year old on a motorized bicycle. Then riding friends moto's until I got my own, 1965 Honda S90 in 1965
Riding now for 59 years including 300K mi on 4 C10's buying the '98 new in Aug 1997. An avid ADV rider having done many adventure rides on KLR 650's and now Honda Africa Twin. Have ridden all the western US states and a few of the SE, Canada provinces several times in both BC, Alberta and the Yukon
Currently sport touring riding the  ZGRX 1200 (AKA C12) converted by Dan Bergen with the 2003C10 Frame, ZRX 1200 engine/forks/brakes/wheel.
Most of the first 30 years riding mostly dirt. '71 Yamaha DT 250, '75 Suz TM 400, DR 370, PE 250 in states So Cal, Utah, OR,  WA, WY....

8000  miles, two months,  riding the C12 pulling a Leesure-lite camp trailer to Florida and back to Washington State setting the GPS to avoid major hwys.

As an 9 yr member of the US Navy including the Vietnam years it was always fascinating to see how other cultures lived in the far east.
I still have that curiosity and enjoyment of meeting new friends.

I, er,  reluctantly agree.

Ride what you brung is a motto I can live with. Did a 6500 mi ride on  a KLR 650 with stock seat.

I will honor the requirements of the nomination to currently and continue to support OTP.
Document in the Concourier, GCE and COG Nat'l of my OTP experience and the gracious support I have received before and during the event including the GCE members and any other individuals supporting the event.

And off we go ...now !

[/quote]

Americans, please send your donations via Paypal to: OTP.USA@cox.net,
Europeans, please use Paypal to: GTR1000@t-online.de

Ok, thanks for the first three answers, Kurt, Richard, Danny!
Very fast and very nice !
Now we are waiting for the answers of the remaining five.

A little hint, you don't have to answer,
but in the end you won't gain a vote if you don't.

There are many candidates this time and all are strong.
We want to see the election campaign of everyone.
We want to see the will to win this election.
And also it should be a little fun for everyone,
even if it means a little effort for the candidates.

Old Man on a Connie said:
Ed Palmer 12154 SE
Tom Vaughan 10640 NW
Kurt Brown 7115 SE
Dan Paulsen 2877 NW
Rich Riczinger 5977 NC
Bob Sherwood 2994 SE
Cliff Burnettte 9547 SC
Jami Lopez 10640A NW

Jami and I are going to have to regrettably bow out of this. We can't thank you enough for the nominations, but after giving it some more thought a trip like this is not in the cards for either one of us this year.

We wish all other nominees the best of luck.

48 hours? André, you're mean! The Flog-o-Matic has come out of storage, I see.  :)  :)

Tom and Jami, I'm sorry that you have to bow out, but there will be more OtP opportunities going in both directions.

Here are my answers to André's prompts:

[list type=decimal]
[*]What qualifies you in your opinion for coming over the pond?

I joined COG in 2015 when I purchased my C10 (the beautiful "Shoodaben") from SiSF. Steve impressed upon me that COG is far more than this online forum, and he said I would never get the complete experience unless I got involved in the activities. I think my first face-to-face COG event was the Last Blast 13 a month later, and I tried to make every event in Florida in 2016 as well as the Backyard National.

I'm a so-so mechanic with limited touring experience, but I had a desire to contribute more to the club. That wasn't going to add value. When Dan Breeden (OtP '17) announced his retirement as editor of the Concourier at the end of 2016, I found a way to give back. I had writing and editing experience, was finishing my master's in technical communication, and I was very interested in getting my hands dirty with a regular publication. The board accepted my offer to serve (to my surprise), and, after shadowing Dan for his last issue, I took over for the Spring 2017 issue.

During my two-year tenure, I have published eight issues, redesigned the publication, and worked to both improve the magazine by going from a mostly black-and-white publication to full color while holding the line on publication costs.

My participation in local events and Nationals continues and now includes writing stories about the events and taking as many pictures as I can along the way to share with the club.

If selected as a 2019 OtP traveler, I will do everything I can to bring the OtP experience back to the rest of the club through stories and pictures, here on the forum, on the club and OtP Facebook pages, other social media, and, of course in the Concourier.

[*]Which three destinations are on your list if you are chosen as a traveller?

• I've heard so much about Passo Stelvio from Dan, Mark, Ted, and Doug Re that it would have to be my number one. I would love to see if the experience matches up to the stories.
  • I've been a Formula 1 fan since I was a teenager. My dream has always been to see the infamous "Eau Rouge" at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit where the Belgian Grand Prix is held.
  • Salzburg. As a classically trained musician, I'd love to visit Mozart's birthplace.

That's not a complete list, but these three show the variety of experiences that I am open to having as an OtP traveler.

[*]Much more interesting, which three destinations would not be important to you?

1-3: Big cities. I prefer the countryside and small towns. But it is hard for me to say that any destination would not be important. It might be one I had not thought to be interesting, yet I've found I always find something of interest everywhere I visit.

[*]What do you think of the saying: "The way is the goal"?

Restated: "the trip is more important than the destination." My wife and I prefer to travel with only a loose plan so we can make adjustments during the trip, whether it is stopping somewhere unplanned or heading off in a completely different direction. Our vacations start with a rough plan that rarely holds up. I prefer the spontaneity of following the road where it takes me, detours and all.

[*]What experience do you have as a motorcyclist?

I started riding at age 12 with minibikes, then graduated to dirt bikes and motocross. I survived that, surprisingly, with nothing broken. I rode small-displacement bikes on the road within my hometown for a while, then, as so many of us do, set riding aside as career and family took precedence. I returned to riding in early 2016.

[*]What was your longest journey (time or miles) on a motorcycle?

After the 2016 National, I rode to the Virginia Beach, VA area on business before returning home to Tampa. Over the course of the 10 days (including the National) I covered 3000 miles. Most of this was solo, with one day over 600 miles.

I rode to the 2017 National in Missouri, which was about 1200 miles each way. I took 2-1/2 days going, but only two days coming back.

[*]How important is it to you to get to know different people and countries?

This is very important to me, because we gain a greater understanding of the world by the one-to-one contact with people who have had different experiences. I learned a lot talking to Ralf and André at last year's National in Kerrville.

My undergraduate minor was in cultural anthropology. I've always been fascinated by the human condition. OtP would allow me to explore that in a way I've never had the opportunity to do before.

Even though I'm an introvert, I would love to do something like the late Anthony Bourdain's explorations of the food and culture of other countries.

[*]How do you feel about traditions, for example tasting a local delicacy, at over the pond?

Traditions are important, and it would be a shame to not uphold and respect the traditions of OtP, GCE, and COG. Other than clothing protection, I'll happily take on the Surströmming;) :beerchug:

[*]How would you react if you got a vehicle that didn't meet your expectations?

What expectations? Give me two wheels and an engine (running would be preferred) and I'll be fine.

[*]What promise would you fulfill if you would come over the pond?

My first promise would be to capture as accurately and colorfully as possible the OtP experience and the friends I make along the journey and to fully immerse myself in this once-in-a-lifetime experience. I'm sure there will be other promises I'll have to make and fulfill during this selection process.

[/list]

I'm honored to have been nominated for OtP. I look at the list of nominees, and, since Tom and Jami have unfortunately had to withdraw, I see a lot of low COG numbers in the list...all under 10000, all people who have been a part of COG longer than I and who have made extensive contributions to the club. I'm humbled and inspired by their experience and leadership.

I just returned home last night from 7 days out riding, was actually out when I accepted. Trying to get regrouped here, it will be a bit before I have my answers up.

I will say we were a host for Annetta in 2016 & it would be nice to visit her again in her country.  :)

Win or lose, it's an honor that someone here considered worthy of this. May the best man win!  :beerchug:

As the candidates are filling out their questions, some may not know where/when the proposed rides are and when?
Below are the 2 proposed rides/dates.

Alternative I (preferred)
27-May          Traveler arrives in Europe tbd Germany? (approximate timing)
30-May..1-Jun Participating in Tour de Twist (Belgium, Luxembourg)
2..11-Jun        Free ride (Floence, Italy? Via France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria?)
12-Jun            Participating GTR gathering „Treffpunkt“ Germany
17-Jun..later  Traveler returns home

Alternative II
5-Aug            Traveler arrives in Europe tbd Germany? (approximate timing)
5...18-Aug      Free ride (Floence, Italy? Via France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria?)
19...23-Aug    Participating in GCE Rally, Netherlands
26-Aug..later  Traveler returns home

Ride safe, Ted

Cliff Burnette, #9547

1. What qualifies you in your opinion for coming over the pond?
I have hosted 5 regional rallies at my house and am preparing #6. I have volunteered at various events. Have been a supporter of OTP and hosted the 2016 OTP traveler. Help out fellow coggers when I can.

2. Which three destinations are on your list if you are chosen as a traveler?
Don’t know that I can pick 3. Honestly, I have not studied up on Europe. Simply never thought I would fly out of the country. I’ll go with the Swiss Alps, Germany and Austria.

3. Much more interesting, which three destinations would not be important to you?
It’s hard to say for the same reasons above. I can only imagine they’re all great, new and exciting. So I would be happy with anything I see!

4. What do you think of the saying: “The way is the goal”?
I think that while the journey and adventure are great, the goal is what I take with me from the adventure.

5. What experience do you have as a motorcyclist?
Got my first rigid frame minibike in 1968, moved on to dirt bikes. Took up street biking in 1976 with a 1974 Honda 550 Four. Had about 13-14 years off through the 1990’s and early 2000’s, so about 39 years total.

6. What was your longest journey (time or miles) on a motorcycle?
I have had countless 3-5 day trips averaging 1500-3000 miles. Many 10-20 day trips averaging 4000-7000 miles. My longest trip being 24 days and 9,800 miles.

7. How important is it to you to get to know different people and countries?
I love to meet new people from different parts of this country and abroad.

8. How do you feel about traditions, for example tasting a local delicacy, at over the pond?
I believe traditions are important and as much as I would like to uphold yours (and will do my best), I make no promises. I’ve heard first hand experiences, the smell alone will probably have me hurling.

9. How would you react if you got a vehicle that didn’t meet your expectations?
I have no expectations. As long as it accomplishes the job, I’ll be happy to be there.

10. What promise would you fulfill if you would come over the pond?
Continue my support for OTP. Do my best to write a respectable article for the Concourier and encourage participation in OTP to the best of my ability.

Whatever the outcome of this vote is, it's an honor and a pleasure to evn have been nominated.

Awesome replies folks Truly. The vote will be a tough one. If some will inspect the OP there are 3 that have made the difficult decision to withdraw their nominations. Regardless of the reason I am sure it was a difficult decision and I respect their reasons. All 3 as well as the remaining are very well deserving of this trip of a life time. Voting opens on the 14th. Send your votes to OTP.USA@cox.net. Include your name and COG # to help us clear out any hanging chads. Euro votes will be cleared by Bernd. Donations as always can also be sent to the same email addy via paypal. Support this program. There is nothing like it! In the world!
OMC
Pool Boy for OtP