• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

over 26 months I've lost count

jfryhayes@aol.com

Training Wheels
In May of 2013 I took the MSF basic rider course and on the 21st, a Friday, bought my starter bike from a coworker.  It was my 2006 C10 and at that time it had 8,907 pampered miles - not a scratch, not a spec of dust.

It was raining and dark that night for my first ride - down to a nearby parking lot to practice drills - tight turns and emergency stops!  On the second or third quick stop things got awkward with the wheel turned right, too much lean on the left and damn this bike is heavy.  Pristine bike went down on the left and shattered the left peg. 

Of course I didn't want to mention this to my wife, so I just went to bed and set my alarm for early Saturday.  A quick call to the Kawasaki dealer disappointed - no parts in stock.  How am I going to explain breaking my bike on the first day?  So I say, "I have some work to do in the garage dear, then I'm going riding.

The replacement was welded by 11:00.  (I hope the image uploads correctly)

I didn't fess up til about two months later.  Anyway it wasn't the last time.  I'd say breaking footpegs has been the only drawback to owning the C10 as a starter.  The last time was Labor Day weekend 2014 in a gravel lot after I decided at the last minute to change up my approach to a parking lot.  Another time early that same summer was backing out of a parking spot on a hill and hitting a river rock.  The Concours and I are both happier at higher speeds!

Attachments

• cda-application-1.gif
    cda-application-1.gif
    131.1 KB · Views: 166
STOP RIGHT THERE!  Please do NOT trust an aluminum weld on a footpeg!  Just choke up the $85 and get a new one.  I mean it; these things will let go with no warning - generally when you're putting a lot of pressure on them going over a bump.  You do not want to suddenly lose the platform your left foot is resting upon in that sort of situation.  So please order one and replace it, and I'd go so far as recommend against riding until it's been replaced.  Aluminum welds work fine in most applications, but if this one fails it can be catastrophic.

Ok, rant over.  Sorry about that.  It's just that sitting here moderating this thread has shown me a lot of bad craziness.  I'm really glad that you haven't been hurt and having her go over while practicing quick-stops in a parking lot (at night? in the rain? on an unfamiliar bike?) certainly qualifies this as an official drop.

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 546th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have yet another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:
0542 C14 Daniel McDermott
0543 C14 Richard Nielsen
0544 C14 Shawn Teel
0545 C14 Thomas Wrede
0546 C10 Jeffrey Hayes

I know!!  That would totally hurt if a peg failed in use.  If I could get my photo to post, you'd see the Steel replacement. Made it out of 2.5 x2.5 x1/4" angle iron. Of course it was only temporary until the oem peg arrived at the Kawasaki dealer.

library

Thanks Jeff.  I feel better now.  But I know how tough it is to stay off a brand new bike for something like that - partiularly if an aluminum weld seems strong.  Glad it all worked out in the end and welcome to the CDA club.

Jeff in Des Moines said:
Of course I didn't want to mention this to my wife, so I just went to bed and set my alarm for early Saturday. 

Excellent move. Drops, get offs, speeding tickets are top secret.  :great:
They're bad enough at first incident without periodic reminders.
I also get farkles delivered to work. Hard to cry poverty with boxes o' goodies arriving.
Does this mean I'm a pig? I can only reply, in all sincerity -- "oink oink."