• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Painting the Master Cylinder Reservoirs?

4bikes

COG#9715 AAD
The clutch and brake reservoirs are very prominent.  The white plastic on the 2011 Concours reminds me of the coolant overflow bottle on my truck. I like the cylinders on the Honda ST-1300 much better.  Has anyone ever tried painting them?  Obviously you would want to leave the fluid site window open 

I found these cover sets that can be personalized.  Kind of cool, but I just want the white to go away. 
http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=179&osCsid=031ed681d29a92dec0254db47f1dd8ab

I have those coves on my Honda VFR's and they are nice. I would think if you want to paint the reservoir just use any quality plastic paint from Krylon as an example. Get a used one and try it out. Or just get those sweat band type reservoir covers

Some people have also replaced the covers with the Motorcycle Larry covers that allow for a single or double ram ball mount. It gives you more options for mounting the farkels!

http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_59&products_id=186

Teleskier said:
I have those coves on my Honda VFR's and they are nice. I would think if you want to paint the reservoir just use any quality plastic paint from Krylon as an example. Get a used one and try it out. Or just get those sweat band type reservoir covers

Krylon makes a good plastic paint but as soon as one drop of brake fluid hits the paint it will be ruined.

Spilling Brake Fluid, like Beer, is a Man Rule.  Don't do it!  Thanks for the paint advice.

I would order some spares before you try this idea, but here goes.  Paint wont be very good since brake fluid eats paint.

Years ago we used plain old rit powdered clothing dye to color white plastic.  You would boil the plastic in the dye (20 minutes or so) and it would penetrate quite deep.  Hot tap water temp worked also, but took a few days to penetrate.

This dye worked well enough that there are still many of us riding Yamaha yz250's with the stock blue gas tanks dyed black.  Over time the gasoline and oil tended to lighten the inside of the tank, but did not do anything to the outside.

I guess some folks don’t ride 100% of the time, and actually look at their bikes.  There is a whole successful segment of the motorcycle industry that caters to looks, sound, and style at the expense of comfort, safety, and performance.  White plastic reservoirs don’t help the looks of the bike.  Obviously I made the right choice; I’m just trying to get a bit of the style back.