• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Passengers

Tango59

Tricycle
Up until yesterday I haven't had anybody on the back of a motorcycle since the mid-80's. The girlfriend and I took a fairly long ride on the Connie that included a few stops. There were a couple of times when she was getting on the bike where I felt like we were gonna drop it. I can't quite flatfoot it so in a couple of spots thought that was it. I had the GF try just throwing a leg over and try climbing on using the pegs.          What's a recommended way to have your passenger get on ?

Tango said:
Up until yesterday I haven't had anybody on the back of a motorcycle since the mid-80's. The girlfriend and I took a fairly long ride on the Connie that included a few stops. There were a couple of times when she was getting on the bike where I felt like we were gonna drop it. I can't quite flatfoot it so in a couple of spots thought that was it. I had the GF try just throwing a leg over and try climbing on using the pegs.          What's a recommended way to have your passenger get on ?

You could try using the sidestand while she gets on .

Worked a triathlon this morning. The person on the back was a little larger than my SO  ???  I used the sidestand after realizing this person was not very co ordinated and almost pulled me over with the initial mounting.

When carrying officials on the back I give them a little crash course. "No leaning or helping. All I want you to do is tell me if you need to adjust something or feel like we need to stop. When we are going into a turn all I need is for you to look over the shoulder in the direction we are turning" Works out pretty well consistently.

+1 on side stand entry, and looking over shoulder.  Have them place left foot on left foot peg, and throw their leg over the seat to other.  My neighbors sister loves to go ride with me.  She is a big girl, 6'4" and about 400lbs.  I am 5'6" and 215 lbs.  I have never had a problem with her on back, as long as she lets me do the leaning. 

I have my son wait for me to put the side-stand down before getting on or off. Then I have him put his left foot on the left peg and swing his other foot over.

When he was younger he was a riot to take riding, we'd pull up to a light and he'd chat with whoever was next to us.

My wife has recently started riding with me again. I get on the bike, hold the bars, set the side stand, brace my feet, then say "ready." She steps up on the left peg with left hand on my shoulder, right hand on the top case and steps over and sits. I tell her "sit still and let me do the leaning." I tell her, "when we stop, I'll put the side stand down again and say "ready," then you can get off.

Very calculated and planned. Good luck.

ron203 said:
My wife has recently started riding with me again. I get on the bike, hold the bars, set the side stand, brace my feet, then say "ready." She steps up on the left peg with left hand on my shoulder, right hand on the top case and steps over and sits. I tell her "sit still and let me do the leaning." I tell her, "when we stop, I'll put the side stand down again and say "ready," then you can get off.

Very calculated and planned. Good luck.

My SO and I do the same thing... she knows to wait until I'm set, tries to get her weight over the wheels quickly and semi gracefully, and when we stop to dismount she waits for me to be set before she gets off.

Riding instruction is given at the start of each season... look over the shoulder in the direction we're turning, don't anticipate the lean, if anything happens don't do anything to try to correct it, let me do all the work, etc.  The one big key with the Connie is counter leaning at low speeds for U-turns.  We have the Cardo Q3 communicators and I ALWAYS remind her to counter lean when we're maneuvering.  Super paranoid about miscommunication causing us to drop it, hasn't happened yet.

Sounds like the sidestand is the way to go.... 6'4 and 400lbs ??? that's a big girl !!!  Yes she is, but she so enjoys riding, how can I refuse the excuse to get out of family gathering for some bike time? :-\ :rotflmao:

7LakesGuy said:
The one big key with the Connie is counter leaning at low speeds for U-turns.  We have the Cardo Q3 communicators and I ALWAYS remind her to counter lean when we're maneuvering.  Super paranoid about miscommunication causing us to drop it, hasn't happened yet.

Thats exactly how I put my Connie down, I neglected to inform the wife to counter lean with me during a tight U turn and she leaned in. I tried my hardest to keep it upright but I ended up having to slowly let it down.

Fortunately my wife is only about 130 lbs.  I too always have her mount from the left, and I'll
raise the kickstand after she's all settled.  Same thing for dismount.  Kickstand down, off to the left.

Wife isn't a squirmer, so a total joy to have on the bike.  Now that she has a comfy seat, it's only better! 

Never really thought about it to much, my wife is only 105 and my son is somewhere around 60 or so.  Don't really notice the weight when there getting on or off but I do make sure they wait until I give them the go ahead

Yeah, definitely side stand if you can't flat-foot the bike.

(What I do is stand up and squeeze the seat between my thighs, while gripping the handlebar.  My wife is able to get on and off without the bike moving very much at all, and she's an average-sized person.  She puts her left foot on the left peg, stands up on the peg, and then throws her right leg over.  If I couldn't stand up with both feet flat on the ground, though, I don't think it would work.)

Yeah, I flat foot it too when the SO gets on or off, but if I couldn't then I would use the side stand.

We rode today and used all the tips you guys provided.... smooth as silk. We have the Sena SMH10 and works great