• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Perry White sez

Paulie

a yellin & a screamin, "Where'd that gol-durn apostrophe come from?!"

Sport touring at it's finest
oughtta be
Sport touring at its finest

btw Perry was the scrappy newspaper editor in Superman  C:)  ;)

Take it easy Paulie, don't get to excited. I know you are still healing from that moose. Don't want you to reinjure  your self.

Glad to you are back to former self.

Paulie said:
a yellin & a screamin, "Where'd that gol-durn apostrophe come from?!"

Sport touring at it's finest
oughtta be
Sport touring at its finest

btw Perry was the scrappy newspaper editor in Superman  C:)  ;)
Yeah, the apostrophe should be used to replace a letter when contracting "it is" to "it's" or when denoting ownership but I think that only works with nouns and not pronouns.  Like in, "The cat's eyes flashed in the light." Or with proper nouns like, "Chuck's turbo C-10 would eat C-14s for breakfast if he could ride and not fall off at every corner."  ;D

There is a rule for contrations using an apostrophe and one to show possession, but I can't remember if its "it's" to show possesion
or if it's "its" for the contraction.
Which ever its is right it's very confusing to me >:D

oldsawfiler said:
There is a rule for contrations using an apostrophe and one to show possession, but I can't remember if its "it's" to show possesion
or if it's "its" for the contraction.
Which ever its is right it's very confusing to me >:D
Well, without looking it up (that means at the risk of being wrong), I would say that in the cse where a word is not a proper noun and can be contrated or show possession, then the apostrophe is always for the contraction as it seems to overule or outweigh the possession thing.

For example, (contraction where apostrophe marks the space of missing letter/s) "It's going to rain today."  vs. (possession) "Its highest point is the windshield."
OR
(contraction) "Randy's going to work." vs. (possession + bonus contraction) "Rev's boss called and said he's fired."

At least I think that would all be correct.

EDIT TO ADD:
Well, it looks like it just isn't cricket to contract a proper noun so that part is bad intel.  My wife, the English teacher is gonna kick my gerund fer that one.

Not being a grammarian I decided to look it up for the betterment of COG.  In this link look at rule 3.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp

I think it applies because the motto could be stated as: Sport touring at sport touring's finest.  Therefore the apostrophy is appropriate.

Geez Louise. Apparently Perry's way too subtle. So let's switch to Moe (3 Stooges)  >:D

Take a gander at the Klub Main Page http://cog-online.org/

Then again...we could make this like the 497 bazillion blurbs to change the logo  :))

smithr-scad said:
LOL Steve, how very Steve of you to say that.

What can I say....  Grammar goes out the window when it comes to Trademarks (tm) and Service Marks (sm). The club by-laws are specific, and it looks like an edit to the forum heading is needed. As Paulie pointed out, the main COGMOS pages are accurate.

COG BY-LAW NUMBER 7

The Club’s official slogan shall be “Sport Touring at its Finest.”  The Club’s official logo shall be a “C” encircling a cogwheel encircling a “G.”  The Club’s newsletter shall be called The Concourier.