• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

petcock question

mfrabbit

While riding the other day I was only doing 35mph through some great curves because the state mowed the grass and left plenty of grass & gravel on the road my bike started slowing down like it losing power so I pulled over and it died.poped the gas cap & could see fuel-sat for about a minute or 2 and it started right up again, rode about4 miles and it did it again so I took it as a sign to go home so while riding home it did it again and i had already switched it to reserve--sat for a minute or 2 & started right up. Had about 7 to 10 miles to go home so I kept it at 45 for most of the way and no problems, made it home. drained the float bowls and less than 1oz per carb is it possible the diaphram in the fuel valve is leaking & not letting enough fuel through-oh yeah I took off the float bowls and there was no trash-I use a fuel filter- and its not plugged .--not a c10-it runs fine this is my daughters 500 ninja

I had that flimsy tygon fuel line collapse on me when heated up then after it cooled a bit it would flow fine . Took me awhile to figure out what was happening .

I had that flimsy tygon fuel line collapse on me when heated up then after it cooled a bit it would flow fine . Took me awhile to figure out what was happening .
when I applied vaccum to the vaccum port on the petcock it will slowly lose pressure and I know that while the bike is running it is constantly supplying vaccum---thi bike is a 2009 it is the original fuel line and it could be the problem.

Do you have a prime position? That will bypass the vacuum input. The vacuum is only needed for run and reserve. Also check fuel tank vent. When it happens and you open the tank, do you hear a suckling sound.

Similar thing just happened to me two months ago. It was a dirty fuel filter. Like you, I didn't think it was plugged, but changed it anyway and it fixed the issue.

Stopping/waiting/opening the gas cap/etc and it runs ok again for awhile; could be the gas tank vent vent.
ie; May be pulling a vacuum inside the tank from fuel flow.

But, It sounds like you have low fuel flow.
,, Look at the hose while on the bike and see if it appears to be in good shape/no kinks.
If that's ok,
,, Remove the gas line and vacuum line from the carbs.
,, Suck on the vacuum line to supply vacuum.
,,, and see how much fuel flows out of the hose.

Ride safe, Ted