• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Piaggio MP3 500

sorry, none riding but I've seen a few on the road and got a look at them in the parking lot, interesting, but real PRICEY.

JDM said:
Does anyone have any experience with these Piaggio MP3 400 & 500 Scooter?
My only experience was watching one almost keeping up with me on the track at a track day. I was on an SV650. They obviously handle pretty well for a three wheeler. I think they are much more like a motorcycle than the Can-AM Spyder.

Funny U mention that. I had bfast last Sat with a gentlemen just down the road from me that owns one of those. If you would like I could ask him to email or call you? just give me a heads-up I"ll probably see him this weekend?

Same as above, no experience riding one, but they're everywhere here and they ride the hell out of them.

Phil said:
Funny U mention that. I had bfast last Sat with a gentlemen just down the road from me that owns one of those. If you would like I could ask him to email or call you? just give me a heads-up I"ll probably see him this weekend?

Thanks Phil, I will PM you with my e-mail.

JDM said:
Phil said:

Thanks Phil, I will PM you with my e-mail.

OK I will ask him for a review to fwd.

My buddy Ron has one. There are only two choices of tires for it and he doesn't like either so he goes with the Pirellis, which are cheapest (if you can call anything Pirelli cheap). The CVT belt slips ever ? miles or so and needs replacement. He says he loves the bike but wishes he got a motorcycle with gears and 17 inch wheels instead. I think he has 15k miles on it and has gone thru a couple belts. You may want to check on the price of belts..... Top speed is 90mph when the cvt belt, if worn, starts to slip. He has a Givi E52 truk but can't fit side bags as he can't find a kit available. That's all I know.

JDM said:
Does anyone have any experience with these Piaggio MP3 400 & 500 Scooter?

This in from my neighbor just N case U did not receive the email?

02/27/14
Boys,
My 2009 Piaggio 500 MP 3 came from the store of a friend: http://www.vespamadison.com/. He’s a long time established dealer.
I never considered the 400 cc unit. The construction is very different and in my view less suitable for the 3 wheel set up. Furthermore, the 500 has much better power.
I would very much recommend that you try to pry a test drive before buying the bike. I took to it easily, but it is NOT a motorcycle or a two wheeled anything. The machine is VERY heavy if the front end is not locked and the user tips it to the side. However, once the drill of the electronic front end locking/releasing is intuitive, there is no issue. Taking off from stop and releasing the front wheel lock is nothing to think about. Even with the feet up on the boards; just twist and go (the break level must be down, of course, but there are interlocking smarts to alert the driver).
I am very satisfied with the scoot overall. I just wish it had a regular shift, but such scooters are long gone. The machine will run @ 90 MPH indicated, which I did once; generally I never go over 70. I have the top box and can carry almost anything. Got a windscreen that is not from Piaggio, being too expensive in my view. The screen is very functional. I never had a passenger (a pillion rider) so I cannot comment on the handling or power 2 up.
The majority of my drives are in the area to run errands. The longest trip I made was to a Vespa rally (Lake Geneva, WI) which amounted to 180 miles only. Have 4,700 miles on the unit so far w/o any mechanical or other malfunctions. Changed rear tire @ 4k miles. The fronts have about 2k miles left; I never wait for the grooves to vanish, on any kind of a vehicle. The handling is very sensitive to proper tire pressure.
I use the same oil filter I fit to my Guzzi. It is a bit bigger than the OEM filter, take a bit more oil, but fits perfect and simplifies my “inventory”. The oil gets changed every 1k miles; the bike has a super centerstand.
When I bought it he had only a black one. I did not care for the sinister look, but got used to it. Last year we decided to swap some panels with a used unit he had in stock for more visual impact for both bikes and it worked out real well for both of us.
The few times I checked, the mileage is about 48 to 52 MPG.
Any questions, comments? Here I am.
George
New
Now

A buddy a work wanted one. He liked the 400 version styling. He had never ridin before so he thought this would be a good start and help save on fuel. He found one he wanted and we went and looked at it. I test rode it of coarse and found a little heavy on the steering but nothing to worry about. I think the 2 wheels up front actually give it a more secure grip on the road. I rather enjoyed it! So he bought it and I rode it back for him. Ample power. He gets 60mpg. A definite good commuter! If you want more info check this site out - http://modernvespa.com/forum/?sid=ed40c80850420c6027ceae06663c2147  and there's several youtube videos.