• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Pinging, chirping, ringing

dunany

Tricycle
I'm having a wonderful time on my '11 ABS (2000 miles), but seem to be experiencing an annoying noise that becomes pronounced at 2500 rpm, then lessens after 3000. Having grown up on two strokes, it sounds like piston slap. What is really annoying is the RPM range is right in the touring zone. I'm going deaf. I brought it in to a local dealer, who had a mechanic test ride it, and, you guessed it, "I couldn't hear anything". My wife can hear it over the intercom. Anyone experiencing this? Any ideas?? We're taking off in 2 weeks for California/Oregon, and I don't want to be calling a tow truck.

The only time I've ever heard a chirping/ringing noise like what you describe is when the balancer shaft backlash isn't set correct. There are two balancer shafts on the C14, you might want to check the backlash adjustment on them and make sure they aren't the source of your noise.

See page 9-33 for the adjustment procedure. You should do the front one first, then the rear, and the engine should be warm. You'll hear a whinning sound when you turn the adjuster counter-clockwise.

I'm not saying this is the solution, and your noise could be caused by something else, but this is one possibility for you to check.

dunany said:
Thanks Fred. BTW, where is page 9-33??

I'm looking at the 2010 Service Manual. I haven't seen the 2011 service manual yet, but I would assume it's on the same page. Its in the crankshaft/transmission section.

Have you confirmed it's engine RPM sensitive, and not wind speed sensitive?  There have been numerous issues with buzzing and whistling from the front of the bike at certain speeds.  Mine has started whistling from about 50MPH up to about 65MPH.  It may still do it above 65, but I usually wear earplugs, and don't ride any roads where I can stay above that speed for long without them.

If it is engine speed related, you should be able to hear it parked, in neutral, or with the bike on the center stand, in gear (unless it's load dependent).

It is actually load related. Usually at 1/4 throttle or less. Always pronounced  between 2500 and 3000. Goes away when the clutch is pulled in. Not there in neutral. Hmmmmmm.......

dunany said:
It is actually load related. Usually at 1/4 throttle or less. Always pronounced  between 2500 and 3000. Goes away when the clutch is pulled in. Not there in neutral. Hmmmmmm.......

Then the balancer shaft adjustments are "low hanging fruit" in the trouble shooting process.  I've played with them on mine (to see if they had any affect on vibrations), and when they are too tight, they cause a loud squealing / screeching sound, that can change based on RPM and tension / tightness.

When you're adjusting them, hold onto the screwdriver real good if you touch the throttle, as they will try really hard to turn the screwdriver in your hand.

I was able to adjust the front lower one on my 2010 without pulling any plastic.  The rear upper one was a pain to get to.

The Stig said:
Hey, C1X! Did the balancers have any effect on the vibes?

Sadly no.  It's as bad as ever.  Adding the 1.5mm shim washers to the bar weights does mostly neutralize the vibs in the grips above 4500RPM though.